Rooof Rails Rx330

rfcbuf

Is it possible to remove the cross beams from the roof rails on a 2004 RX 330. I know they slide forward and back and as I don't plan to tie anything on the roof having them removed might improve gas mileage which is terrible on the new RX 330. :unsure:

Is it possible to remove the cross beams from the roof rails on a 2004 RX 330. I know they slide forward and back and as  I don't plan to tie anything on the roof having them removed might improve gas mileage which is terrible on the new RX 330. :unsure:

In order to remove the roof rails , you must first unscrew the rear cap. Once this is done you will need to grab this rear cap and carefully "snap

' it off. Then simply slide the rails off. Make sure you note the position/direction, of the rails as the are NOT unidirectional , and not factory marked as such. I learnt this from experience. If they are not put back on the same way , you will end up with wind noise.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

"In order to remove the roof rails, you must first unscrew the rear cap. Once this is done you will need to grab this rear cap and carefully snap it off."

Sorry to be such a dunce, but can you describe in more detail what "rear cap" you are referring to, and how to unscrew it? I took a look at my RX330 cross beams and it wasn't clear to me. I want to remove them to reduce wind noise & drag, and make the car easier to wash.

Thanks.

Jim

It's been a while since i have done this. The rear cap is located at the rear of the roof rails . This needs to be snapped off FIRST , to expose the "screws " that lock the rails in place. You have to manipulateand snap them as if a trim panel was being removed. Once off you will see the screws that need to be removed. remember to note the direction and location of these rails , as they ARE not able to be put back on in any order , without causing extensive wind noise.

If you have truble , I would suggest you have the dealer remove then for you. They should dmonstrate this at N/C.

Good luck