Products With That "new Car Scent" ?

cduluk

smooth1, i tried the griots; i've tried everything. I don't think any of them come CLOSE to the new car smell, or anything else i would regularly spray in my car. They aren't even "pleasant'- they're all displeasing, at least to me they are.

Personally, unless it's a new car smell, a car shouldn't have any odor at all. Some of my friends that have older cars, they hang stupid air fresheners, so their cars either smell like coconuts, vanilla or some other "artificial" smell.

The best suggestion i can give is to just clean the carpets regularly, and condition the leather with the leatherique products so the natural smells of the leather are released.

All of the manufacturers of the crap i tried get a big F :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use Griots leather scent (a spray), I don't think it smells like a new car, but it smells clean. People get in my car all the time and say "Wow, this still smells new" or "Is it new" or "How do you keep it smelling new?".

Did you try that one?

I use this stuff called Air Wash, it comes in a blue can, and I like it. It's the first can of "scented" anything that I have found that I actually liked. It smells new car enouph for me. Have you tried that one? :)

Is it close? or Probably just like everything else i tried? lol

No, it's pretty close. If only they still sold it around here, I might be tempted to put one in my LS. I've gotten lots of comments about it in other cars.

GRRRR lol.

I'll try them. I'll try to find a retailer. I've got to test them now ;P

1,000,000: "Aerometrics" "New Car" scent.

1,000,001: and "Air Wash"

I bought the griots leather conditioner, is that the same one?

No, its actually a scent in a little air freshener spray bottle. They also have a new car now but I haven't tried that.

The smell of leather has very little to do with "new car smell".

In fact leather in most japanese cars doesn't smell, because the smell of leather is offensive to the Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, i found this forum when looking for new car scent, i don't even own a lexus lol i am determined to find this smell. When i bought my truck last summer (it's an 02 gmc) it smelled like new car or what i think of new car since i have not owned a new car. So the dealer must have used some kind of spray?

I just ordered some Lane's new car scent, i will see how this works. Anyone tried this?

I also just found a spray bomb from Top of the line detailing supplies called Dakota Odor Bombs, they have a scent called "leather (new car)", you set the can in the car and the whole thing empties

Anyone ever tried this?

Tried lane's; ain't even close.

All of the "sprays" were a dud.

Last month i found the closest thing. I was roaming around Staples with my girlfriend, we were sitting in the computer chairs. In the general area of the store, i got a strong whiff of the new car smell! Wasn't the leather chairs, but turns out they sell these rugs that smell EXACTLY like a new car. They have a black vinyl bottom with brownish/black fibers.

I bought one and put it upside-down in my tailgate area (vinyl side up). When the car heats up, it out-gasses and makes the car smell really new :)

I just got an '08 this week which still has the new car smell. Damn that rug is the same smell! I bought another rug and put it in this one too, to make the scent stronger :)

Here's the rug. Staples has two sizes and various colors, i just stuck my nose in each, and this type was the strongest. It was less than $20.

020orr.jpg

021has.jpg

crap, i just spent $20 on the lane's, oh well i'll still try it. Do you think the sun has to hit that rug directly, or just the whole interior heats up and it smells? I would have to put it behind my seat, where the sun doesn't really reach. Has anyone tried that glue or goop that someone suggested?

There must be some kind of spray, when i bought my vehicle it smelled new for several months, even though it was 6 years old. Maybe it's a trade secret? Maybe they mix certain chemicals and then spray it?

Sometimes when it sits in the sun, closed up for awhile, i can smell it lightly for a couple minutes.

I tried every spray i could find, ones from overseas, to ones at autozone, and the ones mentioned here- none of them satisfied me.

But the rug is the smell. It doesn't need to be in the direct sun, it doesn't need to be in the sun at all. When the air heats up, the gases from the rug go into the air and fill the whole car. You could cut it up and put sections under each seat. The smell is the closest thing i could find. None of the sprays even came close =/

Lane's doesn't smell anything like the new car smell. It's "fresh", but doesn't make me think "new car" at all.

The rug's your best bet ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't use Murphy's Oil Soap. Its a heavy oil and will damage the interior materials over time.

Plenty of cleaners out there specifically designed for automotive interiors...no need to use household products that can cause damage.

I'm telling you, these mats from staples are the way to go!!!!! No liquids.

I picked up another mat last week, cut it up into 4 parts and put sections under each seat. The thing smells EVEN MORE brand new now! I SWEAR it's the new car smell, EXACTLY! lol

The smell of leather has very little to do with "new car smell".

In fact leather in most japanese cars doesn't smell, because the smell of leather is offensive to the Japanese.

http://www.aeolus-online.com/catalog/pics/..._Seat_Cover.jpg

Buy a set of these. You don't even have to install 'em. As suggested above, just stuff 'em in back some where. They're PVC. The stink of their off gassing is what most associate with new car stink. It'll be like walking into a brand new mobile home ... all the fermaldehyde, and polyvinalchloride off-gassing that's legally alowed. Yum yum

:P