Products With That "new Car Scent" ?

cduluk

Hey guys/gals.

A while ago i started looking for the best "new car scent" sprays or any other way to get my car to have that brand new smell again. I don't smoke, and the car isn't that dirty, it's just that the new car smell is gone and i wanted to get it back :)

I searched everywhere, and i mean EVERYWHERE i could. I google-searched, tried local auto shops; everything i could- to get the right "new car" scent. I purchased quite a few products based on research and their names, and thought i would post some of my opinions on each.

Here are some of the products i have tried and my opinions about each of them.

1. "Little Trees" New car scent air freshener (the kind you hang from a mirror) -Got it from Autozone

RESULTS: AWFUL. There is absolutely No resemblance to the new car smell what-so-ever. The smell is offensive and very strong.

2. "Zaino" Z-10 Leather in a bottle (leather conditioner) -Got it offline

RESULTS: No resemblance to the new car smell. It's not an "awful" smell, it just doesn't smell like a new car.

3. "Leatherique" Prestine clean Leather cleaner - Got it from AutoGeek online

RESULTS: This stuff brings out a good smell from leather when used. Doesn't smell like the new car smell, but does seem to help when used on the leather.

4. "Blue Water Productions" Leather Smell (in a bottle) -Got it off eBay

RESULTS: Doesn't smell anything like the new car smell. Kind of smells like perfume? Useless

5. "Carxent" Leather Scent -Got this from the Philippines, someone suggested it

RESULTS: Smells "interesting" but no resemblance to the new car smell.

6. "Zymol" Leather Cleaner- Got this from either Target or Walmart

RESULTS: Smells like a mix between the carxent and prestine clean. No resembelance to the new car smell, but does help when used on leather.

7. V7 Car Perfume Spray -Got this from the Philippines, someone suggested it

RESULTS: Smells EXACTLY like the crap in the "little trees" air freshener. AWFUL, NO resemblance to the new car smell.

8. Meguiars Vinyl & Leather Cleaner #40 -Got this from online, many suggested it.

RESULTS: Kind of smells like a mixture of all the above. Doesn't smell ANYTHING like the new car smell.

Out of all of these, i wouldn't suggest using any if you're attempting to get that "new car smell' back. If your goal is to condition your leather, use the leatherique prestine clean OR Zymol if you're concerned about the odor, but they won't give you that true new car smell.

There are a few other products i'd like to try or are even on their way. They are:

9. Ozium New Car Smell

10. "Angel Scent Aromas" Leather New Car Scent Home & Auto Spray (from ebay)

11. Demeter "New Money" scent (found review stating it was perfect match to new car smell, but i can't find where to purchase...)

12. Demeter "New car Scent"(can't find where to purchase...)

13. "Lane's" New Car Scent - from online

I read a response from a Lexus forum (don't remember which one) where a member found a roll of tape that smelled just like the new car smell. He put it under his seat and presto the smell was back! I tried to contact him asking the brand name with no response... Also i've heard responses suggesting throwing a new vinyl shower curtain under the seat, but i'm not sure which one i should use.

Can anyone suggest any other products out there that have the true new car smell? Please no comments on how bad the smell is, i'm just looking for ideas on where i can find a better product. Thanks, please comment! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys/gals.

A while ago i started looking for the best "new car scent" sprays or any other way to get my car to have that brand new smell again. I don't smoke, and the car isn't that dirty, it's just that the new car smell is gone and i wanted to get it back :)

I searched everywhere, and i mean EVERYWHERE i could. I google-searched, tried local auto shops; everything i could- to get the right "new car" scent. I purchased quite a few products based on research and their names, and thought i would post some of my opinions on each.

Here are some of the products i have tried and my opinions about each of them.

1. "Little Trees" New car scent air freshener (the kind you hang from a mirror) -Got it from Autozone

RESULTS: AWFUL. There is absolutely No resemblance to the new car smell what-so-ever. The smell is offensive and very strong.

2. "Zaino" Z-10 Leather in a bottle (leather conditioner) -Got it offline

RESULTS: No resemblance to the new car smell. It's not an "awful" smell, it just doesn't smell like a new car.

3. "Leatherique" Prestine clean Leather cleaner - Got it from AutoGeek online

RESULTS: This stuff brings out a good smell from leather when used. Doesn't smell like the new car smell, but does seem to help when used on the leather.

4. "Blue Water Productions" Leather Smell (in a bottle) -Got it off eBay

RESULTS: Doesn't smell anything like the new car smell. Kind of smells like perfume? Useless

5. "Carxent" Leather Scent -Got this from the Philippines, someone suggested it

RESULTS: Smells "interesting" but no resemblance to the new car smell.

6. "Zymol" Leather Cleaner- Got this from either Target or Walmart

RESULTS: Smells like a mix between the carxent and prestine clean. No resembelance to the new car smell, but does help when used on leather.

7. V7 Car Perfume Spray -Got this from the Philippines, someone suggested it

RESULTS: Smells EXACTLY like the crap in the "little trees" air freshener. AWFUL, NO resemblance to the new car smell.

8. Meguiars Vinyl & Leather Cleaner #40 -Got this from online, many suggested it.

RESULTS: Kind of smells like a mixture of all the above. Doesn't smell ANYTHING like the new car smell.

Out of all of these, i wouldn't suggest using any if you're attempting to get that "new car smell' back. If your goal is to condition your leather, use the leatherique prestine clean OR Zymol if you're concerned about the odor, but they won't give you that true new car smell.

There are a few other products i'd like to try or are even on their way. They are:

9. Ozium New Car Smell

10. "Angel Scent Aromas" Leather New Car Scent Home & Auto Spray (from ebay)

11. Demeter "New Money" scent (found review stating it was perfect match to new car smell, but i can't find where to purchase...)

12. Demeter "New car Scent"(can't find where to purchase...)

13. "Lane's" New Car Scent - from online

I read a response from a Lexus forum (don't remember which one) where a member found a roll of tape that smelled just like the new car smell. He put it under his seat and presto the smell was back! I tried to contact him asking the brand name with no response... Also i've heard responses suggesting throwing a new vinyl shower curtain under the seat, but i'm not sure which one i should use.

Can anyone suggest any other products out there that have the true new car smell? Please no comments on how bad the smell is, i'm just looking for ideas on where i can find a better product. Thanks, please comment! :)

The smell of leather is really difficult to re-create. But the smell of adhesive (which is part of the 'new car smell') can be obtained by putting a small amount of Marine Glue or "Goop" on a piece of paper and putting it under a seat or two.

I'm kind of up in the air about this one. Personally, I don't think that there is a way to get a universal "new car smell" in a bottle that will work with the so many different brands of cars. Like some of you guys said part of the new car smell is the smells of adhesives etc, which I guess are somewhat generic in the manufacturing process. But different manufacturers use different treatments on their leathers which in turn gives them different aromas. I remember the smell of my '95 LS is similar to the '01 GS that I had, but almost exactly the same as my uncle's '91 LS he had. The Benzes that were in my family had a distinct smell to them as well very different than the Lexii. Even the '96 Suburban LT smelled differently, so my point is to try and find a smell that is "clean" and a leather cleaner/protector that works, as well as leaves a clean scent, and not heavily perfumed.

But, with that said, I'm still very interested to see what your findings are as you've done quite a bit of trial and error. :P

I've been using the Griot's leather cleaner, and it smells like leather. I like how that works out. they have a new car scent spray, but I haven't used that. I just like the seats to smell like leather.

"can be obtained by putting a small amount of Marine Glue or "Goop" on a piece of paper and putting it under a seat or two."

-I never thought about this one! I have a cold right now (can't smell a darn thing :( ) but when it's cleared i will put my nose to the test.

14. Goop

"I've been using the Griot's leather cleaner, and it smells like leather."

-I've got some on the way, i will add that to the test!

15. Griot's Leather Care

linth, which meguiar's product are you talking about; the leather treatment or something else? I love their OLD tire shine (the new one is odorless...) it smelled like cotton candy!

16. Meguiars (?)

"reco?"

-What do you mean reco? I tried googling it with leather, new car scent, as keywords with no results =/

17. reco (?)

Yeah, the carxent isn't sold in the US as far as i could tell. Even i you google it, there are few results. I happened to come across a Philippine forum where someone was talking about the stuff. I e-mailed him and he purchased some for me, and sent it to me (had to pay him $68 GRRR). I guess it solved my curiosity though even though it's useless...

roadmonster, where did your friend buy the carxent??? i couldn't find any retailers here in the US OR online... They have a few cents in addition to "leather scent" like "curves" "fierce" "mango crisp" and "blue steel" which all smell like perfumes/deodorant lol.

And i've tried the fabreeze auto, it's fresh but not the new car smell :(

I am absolutely DETERMINED, if not to find the BEST product, to at least try everything i can get ahold of.

I read a comment someone mentioning this 'demeter' stuff, ever hear of it? I think it's a woman's perfume name?

"can be obtained by putting a small amount of Marine Glue or "Goop" on a piece of paper and putting it under a seat or two."

-I never thought about this one! I have a cold right now (can't smell a darn thing :( ) but when it's cleared i will put my nose to the test.

14. Goop

15. Griot's Leather Care

linth, which meguiar's product are you talking about; the leather treatment or something else? I love their OLD tire shine (the new one is odorless...) it smelled like cotton candy!

16. Meguiars (?)

"reco?"

-What do you mean reco? I tried googling it with leather, new car scent, as keywords with no results =/

17. reco (?)

Yeah, the carxent isn't sold in the US as far as i could tell. Even i you google it, there are few results. I happened to come across a Philippine forum where someone was talking about the stuff. I e-mailed him and he purchased some for me, and sent it to me (had to pay him $68 GRRR). I guess it solved my curiosity though even though it's useless...

roadmonster, where did your friend buy the carxent??? i couldn't find any retailers here in the US OR online... They have a few cents in addition to "leather scent" like "curves" "fierce" "mango crisp" and "blue steel" which all smell like perfumes/deodorant lol.

I am absolutely DETERMINED, if not to find the BEST product, to at least try everything i can get ahold of.

I read a comment someone mentioning this 'demeter' stuff, ever hear of it? I think it's a woman's perfume name?

my brother got his carxent leather scent from tGi singapore he paid thru online.. we only paid $5 not including the freight, for the leather scent. where did you bought you're $68 carxent? is it bigger? actually i liked the leather scent of the "carxent" the only problem is.. it doesnt last long...

14. Goop

15. Griot's Leather Care

16. Meguiars (?)

"reco?"

17. reco (?)

my brother got his carxent leather scent from tGi singapore he paid thru online.. we only paid $5 not including the freight, for the leather scent. where did you bought you're $68 carxent? is it bigger?

ive tried the new car scent of california scent... its useless! smells like cheap cologne

anyone here tried masaka new car scent from japan?

how about V7 car perfume from Philippines?

or Zaino Z10 leather in a bottle available here in the US?

Well i had to purchase the whole set of carxent, not just the leather one. That's why it costed me $68 bucks lol.

He also sent the V7 to me. It's crap, smells just like the little trees air freshener...

Irony of ironies ... that folks associate new car smells as a good thing, rather than NO smell as being a good thing. Yes, to each his own. That said, tanning chemicles, adhesives, etc are often some of the worst allergins ... for some, more than others ... right up there with cigarette fumes. One of the most common 'stenches' that folks associate with new car smells is the stench of off-gassing polly vinal chloride (plastic fumes) which has been identified since the 1970's as being a carcinogen. Often, people who know / realize this will jokingly go, "MMmmm! New car smell!" when they get a whiff of PVC. Oh well, if you REALLY like it, you can always buy a roll of awning plastic and lay it in your car. That'll give you a big whiff of it ... but I'd recommend you don't. ;)

Many of the different brands 'new car scent's' smell different anyways......and was it not discovered not long ago that it's toxic? lol. :lol:

Yep, there are about 25 different chemicals that outgas from the interior of man-made products in your Lexus cabin. That's why the Lexus service replaces the cabin filters every 10K miles. Unless you are certified to handle hazmat, you should let the dealer remove and install a new filter.

Most of these chemical are very carcenogenic.

Several will just cause mild discomfort to moderate pain.... :lol:

Polyethylwillldrainurcash

Trytomeltmycreditcard

Ethylwilljackyerinshurancepremo

Hydrolexidealergunnagougeyou

Chlorobenzonofordforme

Nitrogasomustbehighoctano

One chemical (Lexus has not published the name of it) was discovered to actually cause a disease called Lexofeelyreallygoodo. It's believed to be contracted at Lexus showrooms while sitting in a brand new car, and apparently it is highly contageous. Scientists are still working on a cure for the strong addiction to this chemical!! If you have been exposed to anyone with the disease you will need to contact your Lexus dealer and get a prescription for

Oxycantgetnewcarsmellback. The drug taken 3 times a day for 10 days will immunize you.

If you already have the disease, too bad, there is no known cure yet. :o

post-42851-1235857969.gif LOL!!!

Absolutely nothing smells even remotely like a new car. I've tried everything...

Not gonna bother listing the rest of the crap i've tested, just know there isn't anything out there that works. So if you see something that states, "NEW CAR SMELL"- just know it didn't pass the chris duluk test and that it's crap.

If i could only get my money back!! :o

Dang....I was hoping for ya.

So, ok, nothing smells like a new car, except a new car. So of all the ones you have tested, seeing as how you have them, do you like any of them? Are there any that in particular you think atleasts smells good, even though it doesn't smell like a new car? And didn't you think the Griot's leather care smells just like leather? Or didn't you try that one?