Disappointing Call With Local Lexus Dealer

LexusNWGuy

:( I posted on thsi form about the gas bleeding into my new 2009 lexus es350 and creating a permanent stain. So i called the ealer to see what they can do, and surprising enough and very disappointing, he bluntly said he can't do anything about it. Gas is meant to be corrosive and it can and will get into the paint if its left there for long time (mine was there for 4 days) and lexus do not ahve any warranty on this and can't help me. Suggested me to take it to a body shop :-( what should i do now? :cries:

I guess I would take it to a body shop and be careful to wipe away spilled gasoline in the future.

I see from previous posts that you are also getting small chips from rocks thrown up by trucks.

It can be frustrating watching a "new baby" (a car, that is) deteriorate as soon as driving away from the dealership. I guess that is just part of car ownership. There a few minor similar stains in the paint of my LS and certainly a lot of tiny rock chips. Every few weeks, I carefully inspect the paint and touch-up new chips with touch-up paint.

I doubt if the Seattle area, where I have spent a LOT of time, is any worse than other areas of the U.S. for paint deterioration. OK ... maybe it is worse. You aren't driving on some of my favorite logging roads, are you? I'll never forget having a large one piece glass headlight lens broken on my nearly new Mercedes by a rock kicked up by a truck while driving on a regular highway on the Olympic Peninsula ... had to drive around for a couple of weeks with a big piece of duct tape covering the shattered headlight lens ... didn't help visibility at night!

I used to know a guy who would, on purpose, put a scratch on a car as soon as he bought it. His attitude was, if it is going to get scratched up, he was going to have the honor of putting the first scratch on it.

Yep, it sucks.

I am not sure why Lexus would be liable for this? When you fill your tank the gas pump should stop well before any overflow; your issue sounds to me like it has nothing to do with the car itself.

Maybe I am confused about your issue. Are you saying the paint should not have stained so quickly when exposed to the gasoline?

I am not sure why Lexus would be liable for this? When you fill your tank the gas pump should stop well before any overflow; your issue sounds to me like it has nothing to do with the car itself.

Maybe I am confused about your issue. Are you saying the paint should not have stained so quickly when exposed to the gasoline?

Yes, its not like i left there for a month only 2 days and the stain became permanent. With lexus quality and price i would expect atleast min resistance. The gasoline shuts off, often left overs are always left.

Says the pages has been moved.

One should always clean up slight spillage like that right away. And I have to agree...Lexus should not be liable for that.

:cheers:

:( I posted on thsi form about the gas bleeding into my new 2009 lexus es350 and creating a permanent stain. So i called the ealer to see what they can do, and surprising enough and very disappointing, he bluntly said he can't do anything about it. Gas is meant to be corrosive and it can and will get into the paint if its left there for long time (mine was there for 4 days) and lexus do not ahve any warranty on this and can't help me. Suggested me to take it to a body shop :-( what should i do now?:cries:

wow..surprised to hear that '09 model already have problems!

1- Welcome to the board

2- Not the dealers fault.... Gasoline or any corrosive should be taken off the paint immediately--leaving on for a few Hours can damage paint. Even bird-crap--- remove it with a microfiber cloth and some detail quick spray immediately---if a defect caused the gas to leak from the cap different---but looks -sounds like you or someone is at fault spilling gas on it--than not cleaning it up for 2 days so dealer is not liable for self inflicted damage

3- Check out the detailing thread I would think-hope a polish would fix the paint if not a more corrosive compound....

4- visit the detailing thread lots good threads talking product and process to do it...

Ps i learned that my black es 2008 ES 350 has no clear coat and is scratched very easy in car wash's-- so i went to the detailing thread and ended up buying lot excellent products, Optimum no rinse for winter indoor no rinse washing, a flex random orbital polisher, bunch other gr8 products.. fixed the scratches gr8.... cant wait for the temp to get up and will do a spring lite polish ..remove all the road grime scratches from roadwork and winter...

g-luck! :D

but it is disappointing that Lexus wouldn't even offer care against the gas stains, just after 2 months of a brand new car purchase. If i take to a detailing or body work shop i am sure gonna get a few hundred dollars bill!!!

When you first posted about this issue you said you didn't know what it came from and we were sympathetic, now you're saying you knew the gas was there and that it was there for 4 days. Then you said 2 days....what is the real story?

Absolutely not Lexus' fault, and any paint on any car will stain if a gas stain is left on it for 4 days. Thats part of having a light colored car, you're just going to have to be more careful and any gas spillage should be cleaned off quickly. Don't just wipe it off with a paper towel, it needs to be WASHED off. Gas is abrasive and corrosive.

Somehow I've been filling up cars with gas for 15 years and I can do it without spilling a drop on the finish of the vehicle. You just have to shake the nozzle off while its still in the filler neck and move it quickly away from the car. They sell plastic bibs you can buy and put in there that roll out when you're filling up to protect it if you want. Its not something that "always happens" like you say. Its a mistake you made and it damaged your car, its your responsibility to fix it, not Lexus'.

Take it to a detailer, a chemical cleaner might remove it. A body shop, to fix that right by repainting would be $1000 or so least because of where it is, they have to blend into the rear passenger door and up over the roof rail.

If the detailer can't remove it, I'd just leave it...

• 1 month later...

just want to update on this, the dealer is fixing it by sending to body shop and getting it repainted.:-), i just gave another try when i went for my 5000 mile service, and the service manager was enough to look and realize its a paint issue.

Great news...glad you got it settled. Someone mentioned that the 2009 Lexus is having problems with this issue. This is NOT a Lexus problem. As mentioned by several members, care should be taken when filling the gas tank to ensure that gas is not spilled. I don't know of any car that would withstand a gas spill if left on for several days. It would certainly result in some blemish of sorts. I believe my dealer would have taken car of this problem right away, not all dealers are equal. Finally, this is a honey of car and it really shines when cleaned and taken of..... :cheers: