Top Speed Electronically Limited?

Seems to me that it is and at a very low level. Any confirmation? <_<

Thanks

Yah, 142 mph makes it a real snail. Don't know how such nonperformance can be tolerated. How about the IS-F if speed is really needed? Perhaps a Porsche 911GT would fit the bill as well.

out of curiosity, what is so limiting about 142MPH? i'm not trying to sound like an @ss...just curious...but when are you doing such high speed runs and how often? even in europe with "no limit" highways...other than a death wish, why would it limit you?

Most European fast sedans come with a limited top speed of 155 mph, which is a well known fact.

Based on Lexus' wish to compete head on with BMW (at least with the IS350) I was of the mistaken belief that they would have their cars limited in a similar way.

Obviously this is not the case.

Yes, I tested the top speed of my IS and found out it to be 144 mph (as per my GPS, not the speedometer).

And yes, it was tested under controlled conditions in a closed track.

They limit it because certain components could break. So if you want to go faster you would need to upgrade. Such as tires, etc.

In Europe, top speeds for sedans are set in an agreement among car manufacturers -- the equivalent of 155. I think the limit in Japan is the equivalent of about 112 mph. I'm a little surprised that the IS350 is limited to a speed as high as 142 mph since the LS430 was limited to 130 mph in the U.S. due to the H-rated tires.

I once got one of my LS400's up to 85 mph -- in a 60 mph speed zone while passing a truck that was picking up speed as it descended a steep hill on a 2-lane highway. I was apprehended by one of Missouri's finest.

The IS350 comes equipped with Z rated tires so...I see no need to limit the top speed based on that factor... I am sure attorneys have a lot to do with it, who knows...

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

and -of course- I am not using those crappy tires... right now I have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my car. Allegedly the best ultra high performance tire available in the market today.

Yup those are nice. A lot of people mod their cars and go really cheap(try to save) on the tires.

Thanks

Yah, 142 mph makes it a real snail. Don't know how such nonperformance can be tolerated. How about the IS-F if speed is really needed? Perhaps a Porsche 911GT would fit the bill as well.

Last time I checked 142mph is pretty damn fast....when I had my 350Z I got it up to 150mph and that was pretty intense and was on a long stretch of I-10. You would never want to do anything but head in a forward motion at that speed. I doubt either of you have honestly ever gotten a car up that fast....because you would NOT call it a snail.

Per the car make, it is a snail, comparing to other cars.

I had my BMW 330ci up to the limiter, which was ONLY 138, lol

I have the Lamborghini Gallardo up to 160 on the 210 freeway, and that was only cuz the traffic wouldn't let me go any faster.

Yes, 160 is fast. It's all fast.. It's just comparisons. Now, I'm not going to talk about when a friend of mine decided to test out a Ferrari 360, and got it almost up to 200, cuz I'm sworn to secrecy! ;)

Thanks

Last time I checked 142mph is pretty damn fast....when I had my 350Z I got it up to 150mph and that was pretty intense and was on a long stretch of I-10. You would never want to do anything but head in a forward motion at that speed. I doubt either of you have honestly ever gotten a car up that fast....because you would NOT call it a snail.

Evidently, sarcasm doesn't come across very clearly in posts.

And you are correct, I have only reached 122 mph in a Porsche 944 one night on a Nevada highway in open range country. Those big black blobs on the side of the road went by really quickly and the headlights were being overdriven by at least 200 yards. Needless to say, the speed was backed off quite a bit after that experience.

The RX only makes it to 111 mph before it chokes. Also on a Nevada highway.

Well...

there are many cars that can go 150 MPH, in some your are risking your life and in others is just "a walk in the park"...

that is precisely what separates the good cars from the crappy ones...

I would like to think that our IS350 is in the former category... :excl:

Well...

there are many cars that can go 150 MPH, in some your are risking your life and in others is just "a walk in the park"...

that is precisely what separates the good cars from the crappy ones...

I would like to think that our IS350 is in the former category... :excl:

Unless you're a hella good driver and on a closed track you're always going to be courting danger at that speed in any car.

well... even in a closed track you are courting danger at that speed in any car...

you are also courting danger on our expressways everyday... ;)

most especially when you pass old trucks going faster than they should...

yesterday I was lucky the tow truck that got a "lose chain" (??!!)(from the car it was transporting on the flat bed) around its right rear tires creating an immediate situation of "blocked rear right tires" with the corresponding lane switch, etc... was "only" 100 yards ahead of me because I was driving "slow" otherwise the story could have been completely different...

well... even in a closed track you are courting danger at that speed in any car...

you are also courting danger on our expressways everyday... ;)

most especially when you pass old trucks going faster than they should...

yesterday I was lucky the tow truck that got a "lose chain" (??!!)(from the car it was transporting on the flat bed) around its right rear tires creating an immediate situation of "blocked rear right tires" with the corresponding lane switch, etc... was "only" 100 yards ahead of me because I was driving "slow" otherwise the story could have been completely different...

There are different degrees of danger.

• 1 month later...
Must be something about that 140'ish speed as there are more than a few cars limited to to this.

=225km/h????

Some 'larger' cars are limited at 250km/h, i.e. +/-155mph

Maybe it's size related? My Mustang GT was speed limited to 145 too...

I know of very few airplanes that aren't flying by about 150 MPH. I suspect cars, with their general wing-like shape (flat on bottom, rounded on top), begin to want to enter ground effect and lift at that speed.

Race cars emply big wings to generate downforce. Our street cars' little spoilers would not cut it.

I know of very few airplanes that aren't flying by about 150 MPH. I suspect cars, with their general wing-like shape (flat on bottom, rounded on top), begin to want to enter ground effect and lift at that speed.

Race cars emply big wings to generate downforce. Our street cars' little spoilers would not cut it.

The limits are more in regards to expected human capabilities than mechanical ones. The German car-makers had entered into a voluntary agreement to limit top speed so as not to engender a competition that would result in major accidents on the German Autobahns. Not all drivers capable of purchasing the faster cars have the adequate reflexes and experience.

At one time the speed limiters were set to match the speed rating of the OEM tires. For instance, some F body cars came with touring tires and had lower set limiters than the ones that came with Z rated tires.

In most European countries the tires much match the capability of the cars.