Question To New Car Owner: Did You Buy The Extended Warrenty And Cilaj

Please help me with this question.

We just bought a lexus and wonder if we should buy the extended warranty (7 year one) for $1533 and cilajet for $680. What does cilajet do? Is it a paint shield that will prevent dent?

Many thanks in advance.

Do a search in this forum under extended warranty.

There is a recent huge thread with all kinds of discussion and pros and cons on the benefits of extended warranty.

I think the discussion was even on RX350s...

EDIT: Shoot, we even have a whole forum for warranty discussions. CLICKY

I am sure that will help you out in your decision.

I never buy extended warranty during initial pruchase since the warranty period starts immediately. Since you are covered 4yrs/50k why pay for something you already have. You can always purchase extended warranty right before your factory warranty expires and it doesn't cost as much either. Used to be in the business...thought I pass the little secret along

We just bought a lexus and wonder if we should buy the extended warranty (7 year one) for $1533 and cilajet for $680. What does cilajet do? Is it a paint shield that will prevent dent?

Many thanks in advance.

As they would say in New York, "fuggedaboudit!" This is not a Hyundai or Kia, this is a Toyota / Lexus. Chances are you won't need it, and it's really not very chancy.

I used my extended warranty heavily on U.S.-based-manufacturer cars like my long-gone '91 Dodge Caravan - almost started going to the service writer's kids Little League games I saw him so much.

But with any Japanese-based manufacturer, you really don't need it. With the quality and precision of the machinery, with the paint and topcoat finishes these days and with leather and modern materials on the inside, you can tell them to forget it. If your dealer offers free car washes, they vacuum and detail the interior so no worry there. We didn't buy the warranty for my son's "el-cheapo" '99 Nissan Altima and he had no warrantble repairs by the time he wrecked it our at 125K miles. Before I could fully trust Acura, I bought the warranty, and the only thing I used it for was to replace a strut, with the final non-warranty cost being way less than the warranty cost itself.

You do know that most dealerships make the bulk of their profits in the F & I office, right? They are hoping that now that the pressure of negotiations is over with, your adrenalin is fading you may be vulnerable to those spur-of-the-moment purchase like the warranty, like the fabric and paint treatments, like the ding repair package, like window etching. Don't waste your money! Smile politely and get used to saying, "No thank you. Can we finish up here?" over and over as often as necessary.

You do know that most dealerships make the bulk of their profits in the F & I office, right?

Shhhh, you are giving away the secret.

Jim ... recently retired from the largest U.S. provider of F & I products.

Ah-HA! A confession!

Actually, I have to commend most dealerships for how they do it. You're past the sleazy guys, the salesman and the guy "upstairs" who has to approve the deal or counter-offer (usually a counter-offer). [Note: Lexus salespeople are not sleazy but they are indeed salespeople.] The F & I guy looks at least halfway educated, is clean, well dressed, presents himself professionally and talks in a calm manner. He tends to be believable. Plus you want to make sure he'll do the financing you want so you want to please him.

But that doesn't mean you need what he has to "offer" [Read: Push].

Anything more to add to your confession? ;)

You do know that most dealerships make the bulk of their profits in the F & I office, right?

Shhhh, you are giving away the secret.

Jim ... recently retired from the largest U.S. provider of F & I products.

ok...can't leave it at that, Jim.

Inside info from inside the horror of F & I much appreciated!

ok...can't leave it at that, Jim.

Inside info from inside the horror of F & I much appreciated!

Actually, if I had worked directly with the F & I products business unit of the company, I would have slit my wrists a long time ago and would have never come close to making it 31 years with the company. Fortunately, I mainly provided support services. I was involved in the design of a new F & I product only once -- a little like seeing how sausage is made.

I had to frequently remind myself that many people really did feel that they needed to buy the F & I products we sold. And I truly believe that some F & I products, like those that make car payments in case of illness or death, really do benefit some people.

It did make it easier to buy a new car. Sometimes just mentioning my employer's name in a car dealership brought forth a welcome like I was an old friend. I also usually heard something like ... "Well I guess you don't want to speak with our F & I person, do you?".

Many thanks in advance.

One word repy: Don't

Actually, a conjunction, but you get the idea.