Does Your Lx470 Do This?...

jocigar

I am greatly enjoying our new 2000 lx470. I noticed a few things that have me worried and am not sure if I should look into it.

On very cold mornings I can notice tick from the engine... lifters I would guess, is this ok or does it indicate that the engine has been abused (51K miles)

Also on cold morning, I can hear a humming gear noise that seems to comes from the tranfer case when first taking off from a stop up to 30 mph. I sounds like the trucks when they are in low gear ratio.

Both of the above go away once the truck warms up or is driven for a while in the case of gear noise.

What do you think? thanks!

I HAVE NOT REALLY NOTICED THESE NOISES COMING FROM MINE. I HAVE A 99 470. I WILL LISTEN AND SEE IF I HEAR THESE NOISES COMING FROM MINE. I HAVE MINE IN THE GARAGE ALL NIGHT SO MAYBE I WON'T HEAR BECAUSE IT IS NOT OUT IN THE COLD ALL NIGHT. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I NOTICE ANYTHING.

I can get the ticking to go away by starting the truck 5-10 min before I leave.

The gear noise is lvery load in such a quite cabin, it seems to be coming from the shifter or just under. It really hums for 1-2 miles each morning... any idaes on this?

• 2 months later...

My 2003 lx470 is making a definite knocking sound on cold starts as well.

has me very concerned. dealer has changed fan belt, catalytic converters, and lastly tried using synthetic oil. noise is still quite pronounced on cold starts.

Also has whirring sound coming from transfer case on cold days. I am sure this is just fluid viscosity. I'm in canada and we get some really cold days.

not sure what the dealer will do next for engine knock. They are dummies.

There is a small crack on the exhaust manifold. Once your engine get hot, the metal will expand. And you longer hear the exhaust leak. What kind of noise you hear from the tranny?

JPI

Canuk,

REF: whirring sound coming from transfer case on cold days.

please let me know if they and how they fix the transfer hum, thanks.

As for the knocking, as others have mentioned... look into the exhaust manf. I have a very faint tick on extra cold days that I think if just lifter noise/rocker noise before it warms up.

As far as I know the dealer is not prepared to do anything about the transfer case whining on very cold days. I am not very concerned about this as I have heard this cold whining from other 4X4s I've owned. Seems like just gear noise when fluid is very cold and thick.

I am positive that the engine knocking is not from a manifold leak. I have heard that before on engines that I have rebuilt and replaced. Whenever I've put a fresh motor in I've had to re-tighten manifold bolts once engine is hot to achieve proper seal between manifold and head. Until this is done there is usually a ticking sound as cylinder firing can be heard through small gap formed between manifold and head as they expand differentially. Try tightening bolts when engine is at operating temperature, if possible.

My knocking sound is from within engine or head. The dealer had originally told me the sound was normal for an LX470. I insisted that they compare mine to others and they admitted after trying this that it is definitely louder than normal.

I guess I'm just going to have to continue to hound them.

Smithjack31

The ticking sound you hear after you shut off engine is probably your exhaust system cooling down and contracting. Bet if you get under the truck after shut down you will hear very distict cracking sounds coming from exhaust components, especially up near front of engine/catalytic converters/heat shields, where things get really hot.

I have a 99 LX470 and I ALWAYS hear the whining noise on cold morning NEVER during the summer. After two or three miles the sound is gone. I feel a lot better knowing that most of the rest of you have heard the same thing under the same situation. (Truck outside of garage on cold nights.)

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

We recently purchased a 2000 LX 470, and have been very satisfied with the truck. In fact we were actually greatful to be driving it when a deer jumped in front of us last June. We felt the size, weight and high profile of the vehicle could easily be the reason no one was injured when the very large animal leapt up and struck the A pillar.

After locating an excellent body shop, the cosmetic damage was repaired. We picked up the truck and promptly took a long awaited vacation. Again the truck performed without problems. However, one week after the trip was over, as I pulled up to our home, the truck died when I stopped. I thought it was perhaps bad gas, or time for a tune up. When I went to start the truck it fired right up, and idled just fine. It reved fine, nothing appeared wrong, but when I put it in gear, it died again. Plenty of gas, no difficulty starting it at all.

I have since tried several times to move the truck, and it continues to start up, idle in both Park and Neutral, but when the shifter is moved to engage either a forward or reverse gear, the truck dies. I've checked the fuses, the transmission fluid, everthing seems to be normal. Has anyone else heard of this problem or experienced the same thing?

Sorry, I have no Idea, that has never happened to us. Hope you get some other member suggestions.

It does happen on my land cruiser that has auto start. I often jump in and forget to turn the key and it shuts off if I touch the brake/gas/shifter as a theft safety.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Same ticking on my 2000 LX 470 w/ 65k miles. The Dealer originally said in the 60k service that both manifolds needed replacing to the tune of $4,000. After I started asking him what would happen if I allowed the ticking to continue he said it was only one of the manifolds and they could replace it for $2,800. I still said no - he said that the valve could suck oxygen in through the crack and your O2 sensor will give you an engine warning if it gets to bad. Anybody out there just let the baby tick - consequences? Alternatives to getting it fixed - no warrenty here!