How Much Do You Think Brake Pads And 2 Tires Cost - Lexus Of Massapequ

tonymarkovina

Lexus of Massapequa, Beware........

2 brake pads, 2 tires. How much do you think. How about 1,100....

I asked them to replace 2 dollar fuses that were blown from the year before that they were supposed to fix at my last inspection, the blown fuses were preventing my steering wheel from adjusting and the passenger seat from adjusting. They wanted to charge me an additional 250 for just the mechanic that was doing my inspection to see if the fuses were the problem, 250 just to see.... I refused, but the funny part about this.. the next day, they call me to tell me i need 2 brake pads and 2 tires and the total cost will be 1,100 and he had the nerve of telling me the mechanic looked at the fuses and said that wasn't the problem.

I went to the autoparts store after i picked up the car, got a pack of 5 dollar fuses, replaced it myself and fixed the issue.

What moron is running that place? They will never get return business. I'm ready to get my next one, will never go there again.

• 1 month later...

Car dealerships on average generate about 90% of REVENUES from new and used car sales, and about 10% of REVENUES from their service departments. But PROFIT margins are about evenly split. Right now, car sales nationwide are down about 40% from a year ago. So how do you think dealerships are paying their bills? Service departments are keeping most dealerships afloat right now, so getting ripped for over $1000 for 2 tires and brake pads shouldn't come as a surprise. Another scheme most service departments practice is the one you described -- charging an outrageous minimum fee for diagnosing the problem. In defense of service departments, they can't give away their service. Many people would try to get a free diagnosis, and then fix the problem themselves. But it's really aggravating when you take your car in and tell the service manager exactly what is wrong (like a busted tail light lens) and he/she still wants to charge you an hour's shop rate to "check it out". Do yourself a huge favor and invest in a service manual for your car, and learn to do things yourself (like with the fuse replacement). For major repairs (like brake pads, although I do this myself too) find an honest independent mechanic, who has the special tools for Toyota vehicles.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't consider brake pads a major repair. I've been doing everythinig myself since last year and I'm self-taught by the internet. Oil changes, all filter changes, brake fluid bleeding, radiator flush, now I will try to do the front brakes over the weekend. It's all very simple, just takes some patience to try it for the first time.

• 2 months later...

If you need a honest service department on Long Island try Rallye Lexus. I had issues at Massepequa and Rockville Center. See Pam or Andy there. They are so cool and yes they arent cheap, but they do the right thing and help you out.

The fact of matter is this: Changing a pair of brake pads is so easy and quick to do, that anyone charging more than $200 to do the job should feel ashamed for ripping people off. $250 just to get a mechanic to even "look" at your car, is criminal. And the "engineering" of problems should be grounds for a law suit against the business for which you're paying way too much to in the first place for their "trust" and "expert" opinion.

I will never, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, ever take a car to a Lexus dealership service center for anything. If the problem is so severe that Lexus is the only option for repair, then it's time to get rid of the car.

Lexus cars might be the best made, but there is little doubt in my mind that their service departments are some of the worst in the industry.

But, at the end of the day, my 2nd comment in my signature below will always ring true, no matter what car you have, or where you take it to get fixed. You've got to educate yourself if you want to avoid getting ripped off.

• 1 year later...