Drain And Fill Transmission Fluid For My 93 Es300 What Atf Fluid To Us

pete rock

hi i searched around to try to find what i need but couldnt.i have a 1993 lexus es300 i bought about 3 months ago and i took my tranny dipstick out and it smells a little burnt so im thinking to have my tranny fluid drained and filled.i was thinking of a tranny flush but ive read some horror stories on here about it did more damage then good.so im thinking of taking it to local mechanic and do a simple tranny drain and fill.now not sure if he knows what fluid to use and ive seen some type of toyota atf fluid in some other threads.i want to purchase the correct fluid and give it to them and have him fill it with that fluid to make sure hes using the right one and the job is done right.now does anyone have a picture or exact name of this fluid that i need for my 93 es300 automatic please help thank you

hi i searched around to try to find what i need but couldnt.i have a 1993 lexus es300 i bought about 3 months ago and i took my tranny dipstick out and it smells a little burnt so im thinking to have my tranny fluid drained and filled.i was thinking of a tranny flush but ive read some horror stories on here about it did more damage then good.so im thinking of taking it to local mechanic and do a simple tranny drain and fill.now not sure if he knows what fluid to use and ive seen some type of toyota atf fluid in some other threads.i want to purchase the correct fluid and give it to them and have him fill it with that fluid to make sure hes using the right one and the job is done right.now does anyone have a picture or exact name of this fluid that i need for my 93 es300 automatic please help thank you

The correct fluid is listed in your owners manual.....I think it's Dexron II/III....or you can use Amsoil synthetic ATF......compatible with the Dexron & Toyota Type IV fluids. I use it in both my vehicles & have for years......fantastic stuff. More info here...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

some shops have this machine that uses fluid to clean /replace fluid, costs 80-110 bucks. Might be worth it for easy change. Make sure they use a good quality fluid . I did it once , might do it again . I just hit 155555 miles, lol

That's called a flush, and I DO NOT recommend it on a high mileage vehicle. The process can, and often does break loose deposits that have built up inside the transmission over years and this can lead to transmission failure in the near future. A drain and fill is the way to go.

pete rock:

The proper ATF for your car, according to the 1993 owners manual, is Dexron-II/III

You are probably thinking of Toyota Type T-IV ATF which is made for newer Toyota vehicles.

thanx lexucan i was waiting for your input.ive seen threads about tranny drain and fills and i seen alot of fellow lexus owners using toyota oem type fluid i think this is the one.would this fluid work better?or should i just buy a mobil one at autozone ??

heres the fluid im talking about :

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/pete...01800x600-1.jpg

thanx lexucan i was waiting for your input.ive seen threads about tranny drain and fills and i seen alot of fellow lexus owners using toyota oem type fluid i think this is the one.would this fluid work better?or should i just buy a mobil one at autozone ??

heres the fluid im talking about :

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/pete...01800x600-1.jpg

The ATF in your picture is Toyota Type T-IV which is NOT compatible with your transmission. Just because it has a Toyota label on it doesn't mean it is ok to use in your particular vehicle. It is meant for newer cars. Your transmission uses Dexron-II/III ATF. You can get it at Autozone as well.

ok lexucan sounds good thanxx again i talked to the mechanic who fixes my mothers car.she has a 94 olds cutlass supreme coupe with 102,000 miles on it.her car was overheating,he changed her thermostat and replaced her water pump for $118.00 parts and labor.so i asked him what he would charge me for a drain and refill of my atf for my es300 he said something about since your dropping the pan you might as well change the filter as well.i thought a drain was just a bolt that gets opened and the fluid gets drained?was he thinking a full flush? which i do not want.he was going to call me back when he prices everything i told him i would purchase the atf fluid,just so im 100% sure its the right fluid

some shops have this machine that uses fluid to clean /replace fluid, costs 80-110 bucks. Might be worth it for easy change. Make sure they use a good quality fluid . I did it once , might do it again . I just hit 155555 miles, lol

That's called a flush, and I DO NOT recommend it on a high mileage vehicle. The process can, and often does break loose deposits that have built up inside the transmission over years and this can lead to transmission failure in the near future. A drain and fill is the way to go.

You might be right. Similar saying as why some people do not switch to synthetic oil. But I think it depends on car and luck. Some mechanic once told me that they had a car with transmission that did not work at all. They did the flush, and car started driving. Yes drain/fill is probably best, but for others flush through dip stick works too. In end there is no real wrong way of doing it.

You might be right. Similar saying as why some people do not switch to synthetic oil. But I think it depends on car and luck. Some mechanic once told me that they had a car with transmission that did not work at all. They did the flush, and car started driving. Yes drain/fill is probably best, but for others flush through dip stick works too. In end there is no real wrong way of doing it.

hi its sugetherookielexusowner! not so much a rookie now though, i have a 1997 es300 with 73k on it. and i just changed the fluid/ drain and fill only and the differential which has a seperate drain plug and filler plug! the diif. takes about a quart and i drained a little less than 3 qts outta the trans so u need no more than 4-5 qts total, after that u are wasting money. make sure u get "new" "crush" washers at the dealer/2 $ each for the plugs once u tighten them back up, the old ones might not seal right and they dont recommend using the old ones. USE ONLY TOYOTA DEXRON 3, NOT THE TOYOTA TYPE T-IV, they are not compatible and the right one is the dexron 3.