Newbie Needs Help!

BCJ1stSC300

• 1 month later...
I just purchased a BEAUTIFUL 1997 SC300 (auto) with 103K on it. Wow. What a car. Here's my question: When does the timing belt need to be replaced on this car? What about tranny fluid? I am a newbie and don't have a manual!

I am a newbie also. I had the timing belt replaced on my 1997 SC300 just two days ago. I also had the 120k maintenance done at the same time. I can definitely feel the difference after these two big ticket items.

The SC300 which I have just bought has 120k miles and it had the original TB and spark plug wires. Before the job, the engine ran fine except that it often hesitated when I stepped on gas. The automatic transmission gear shift was less than smooth especially when it was downshifting during acceleration. It felt like it did not respond to the initial push, then it would lurch forward which can be mistaken for me being lead footed. All these problems are now gone.

I asked the shop to save the old TB. It looks surprisingly clean but "dry", and there are some visible small cracks. Considering it's 12 years old I can't help thinking how much longer would it had lasted. The 120k job replaced transmission fluid, coolant, thermostat, drive belt, and spark plugs. I got a call from the shop telling me that the spark plug wires were falling apart and must be replaced also, this was extra.

It hurts my wallet (~$970) to get these two jobs done. What it got me is now I have a peace of mind, and the car now drives like a Lexus.