93 Sc400 Control Arm

bigk

I have a 93 model sc400 with about 180k miles. I just had it taken into the shop for a bad ignition coil which was fairly inexpensive to have replaced, however, they noticed while backing it out of the garage, that the front left wheel moved a bit while braking in reverse. Turns out the lower control arm bushings are on their last leg on both front sides. There are no aftermarket arms available yet and I was told that the bushings are not replaceable. I checked with the local Lexus dealer in parts and they said the option for bushings is not available (meaning Lexus wants you to buy the whole lower control arm which costs over 800 per side for the parts). My stellar instinct tells me something fishy is happening here. It would seem that they don't offer just the bushings because for their "certified used cars" you would want the whole arm to be new. This would give you a new ball joint too. I have a feeling my ball joints will be OK for some time, but I know these bushings are about to go.

I have found bushings for this model on the web for between $100 and $150. All have a disclaimer that says:

"1 Kit per Arm This kit includes 2 polyurethane bushings to service one control arm. This kit will only work on the early version control arms 48068-29165 RH or 48069-29165 LH.."

I'm sort of a figure it out as I go mechanic meaning I'm not a mechanic at all and pretty broke so I figure it's always worth a shot tearing it down. I've looked at this job and it seems doable if I can get a machine shop to press out the old ones. I just hate to spend a ton of money when I could have just replaced these stupid bushings. Does anyone know if this is possible? My mechanic tells me it's not an option, but I think it's only because Lexus doesn't offer the bushings only. Any thoughts would be tremendously helpful.

BigK - I'm in a similar boat with my girlfriends '92, I did a bit of searching on this forum and the Club Lexus forum there is a link regarding installing a '97 -'00 SC400 bushings (poster name of Euro) as a direct replacement for the '93's.

You can purchased them directly from Lexus there are 2 bushings on the front control arm: front 48654-24040 and the rear one 48655-24050

Note: You may need a press for it.

There are also aftermarket options check this link out http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension...6k-warning.html

I'm probably going to knuckle down and purchase the Daizen kit and go from there.

Good Luck,

Ian

Well, that definitely gets me headed in the right direction. I'll probably go with the Daizen kit, but not sure if I need all of the sleeves with it, seems like a good bit more. Any suggestions on which 3 of the options for the lower front? I'm taking a chance that the ball joints are OK, mechanic said bushings and I don't really know what to look for as far as deterioration. Good thing with this kit is I'll be replacing all of the arm bushings/upper and lower at the same time. That's probably what it needs anyway. Does it cost much to have these pressed out or in? Seems like I could find something to do it.

Thanks for the help.

Do a search. I went thru this a while back, and its posted on here somewhere. You buy arms for a Supra. They're exactly the same and come with bushings AND ball joints for around 250 each. Fit perfect. These cars have a lot in common w/ Supras underneath. If you can't find it, I can dig up the receipts I have and get the part #.

Ahhhh, Lexus parts. WTF is right. I had my mechanic install these after reading everything I could find, looking for SOME difference. Didn't find any. I didn't tell him they were not Lexus parts till after, and guess what? They fit perfectly.

• 3 months later...
Go with Supra tt LCAs, you could get them at carson toyota www.l-tunedpars.com. I've done it year ago and the parts cost me 500 plus install and alignment.

Time to resurrect this thread, because I am facing the same repair. Just replaced my front and rear shocks, struts, mounts, assorted bushings and the mechanic now tells me I need lower control arms! Jeez, I really, really like this car but the Lexus part prices are killing me! I hope you guys are right. I am going to have to fight with my mechanic though, he hates to use anything except Lexus parts!

If my memory serves me right...I believe that from 98'-00' (maybe 97') the bushings can be replaced. Anything older you have to replace the arm or find a really patient mechanic that will spend the time to take them out!!!!

You might want to check planetsoarer.com the Australian Lexus high performance web site. I believe they suggest using Supra LCA's but also have a member which makes and sells OEM type rubber bushings for the control arms (as I don't think they like the feel of the polyurethane bushings found in other kits). If you buy the bushings make sure they will fit your american model year SC400 and if you go that route, you'll probably find it easier to get an auto shop to switch the bushings out as you will need a press.

If my memory serves me right...I believe that from 98'-00' (maybe 97') the bushings can be replaced. Anything older you have to replace the arm or find a really patient mechanic that will spend the time to take them out!!!!

92-2000 SC can have the LCA bushings replaced and you can do the same to UCA's. If you want to spend around $350 for rubber bushing VFTBUSHES.com sells them, but as I said they are crazy expensive. If you want to get polyurethane Bushings go to http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/make/sc.html.

If your Ball Joint are bad you HAVE to replace the entire LCA no matter what year SC you have, not a single one has replaceable ball joints. Honestly I would just get the entire Supra LCA's for about $500 for the set and have piece of mind that the Ball Joints are new as are the bushings, the last thing you want is a few thousand dollars in repairs because your ball joints were really dry and snap while driving on the highway.

Little more searching:

http://www.diypartscatalog.com/ShopByVehic...Arm&mode=PA

Anyone know why the supra parts are so much cheaper than the lexus? This almost amounts to highway robbery! Try to find the actual Lexus LCAs and they're $850+ ea. WTF?

The aftermarket arms are cheaper, But I see they don't have the mounts like the ones above. Has anyone tried these?

I have a 1992 SC400 V8, and My car kinda clunks with the brake, making the wheel bounce back and forth. Will this be the repair needed? Thanks for any info fellas.

Daniel

Torrance, CA

Daniel, The aftermarket arms are upper arms. I am not aware of any aftermarket LCAs for SCs. Lexus and Toyota LCA arms are available at vastly different prices for the same arm. I happen to think the Supra bushings are harder than the Lexus but they are a direct replacement. The symptoms you are describing sound just like worn lower control arm bushings. If the bushings are the problem you should be able to see the wear. If you were to take the car for a front end alignment you wold learn if that is the problem as the car will not hold an alignment.