Hid Conversion

jjaayyb

SO LET ME GET THIS RIGHT,BASICALLY YOU DID A LITTLE WIRING CHANGE RIGHT.I DID THAT ON MY OLD CAR A 1992 VOLVO 850 WELL I CHANGE THE FRONT LIGHT FROM THE 1992 LOOK TO THE 1997 DOUBLE HEADLIGHT LIGHTS, JUST HAD TO CHANGE THE PLUGS.SO AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK??

Good job on finding this thread. Yep, all you have to do is buy new connectors at an auto parts store and splice them into your current harness. The bulb used in the 93-94 LS has three identifiers: HB2, 9003 and H4. Actually H4 bulbs are manufactured to different specs than 9003/HB2 bulbs but they are essentially the same and are interchangeable. I've sometimes left the original bulb connectors in place in case I wanted to reinstall the original headlights. I've converted lots of cars to use headlights with H4 bulbs over the past 40+ years.

• 9 months later...

I used to have a set of 5000k HID's on my '90 and from the drivers point of view they were a huge improvement from the normal bulbs. I never really thought to look at my car from the point of view of an oncoming car though. However, around here it tends to be very foggy in the early fall time and on those mornings driving in the fog, the lights produced such a blur of light that i truly could not see 10 feet in front of my car so I took the HID's off and put the regular bulbs back in.

I can't seem to find the Eagle Eye headlights for sale anywhere though. I'd love to pick up a set of them for my car.

I find all headlights seem to be useless in fog and driving snow as well. The best solution is some dedicated fog lights mounted low, just below the bumper works fine, the bumper helps to block light reflecting off the fog as well. A good quality set of Hella's, Bosch or Cibie's(if you can still get them)work very well. Whichever brand you use they must have a wide and flat beam pattern, the idea is they illuminate the surface of the road only which can be seen a lot better than if your cars lights are lighting up the fog before the light gets to the roads surface. And yes, an added hid system to those fog lights will make a big difference, especially the brighter 3000K to 6000K types, although I must say I have not tried the weaker 8000K to 15000K, who knows, maybe the blue or purple light they produce might have some advantage although I think the yellow of the most powerful 3000K is the best choice. If you have daytime running lights, they will negate the effect of those foglights to a large degree, the more powerful the drl's the more reflection you will get off the fog. Foglights are best used with the running(park) lights on and the headlights off. You might want to check your local laws, they may demand that you have lights on that are at a certain height during nighttime hours.