Rx330 Tail Light Fix

TheJ-X

Howdy, folks.

I'm writing to put in my two cents re: replacing taillight bulbs in the tailgate of an RX330.

To get to the bulbs, you have to remove the molded interior trim panel. Not, NB, the felt covered panel across the bottom of the tailgate, but the one above it that runs the width of the tailgate up to the tailgate window. The panel itself is held in place by a few plastic pins. I gently used a flat panel screwdriver to pop one out of place, and the rest came off more easily. Once the panel was off, it hung by the wires going to the little, switch operated interior light. This was the most annoying aspect, because it was in my way and the little light itself is too dim to be useful, like Nancy Pelosi. Replacing the bulbs while seated in the tailgate and the tailgate shut may work better for some, but between my size and the junk in my tailgate, I just let the panel hang.

I used a pair of needlenose pliers to gently tug the bulb and socket out, which came right out. The bulbs pop right out and in. I don't handle the bulbs bare-handed, wearing gloves to keep them clean and free of fingerprint oil.

The bulb socket pops back into place (again, I used pliers to manipulate it), and the whole panel itself pops in. Once I had the first pin in place and inserted it, it seemed like the others lined right up and inserted with ease.

The whole process took me no more than ten minutes, and the two tools I used were optional.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone, i accidentally backed into a tree and damaged my tail light cover/lense (i guess) :( . it's a very small crack but still noticeable, is there anywhere i can order just the lense or have that crack repaired without the huge fortune? thanks

Can you post a picture? There's no way to repair a crack in plastic without it still being seen. You could use methylene chloride to seal it back up, but you'd see the line still...