99 Ls400 Auto Tilt-away Problem

Sean D.

I just bought a 99 LS400 and I love it. This will be my 3rd Lexus having owned a 95 LS, and a 97 LX450. I love the car, but I've been searching for an answer to this little problem I've been having and I can't seem to find something specific enough on this forum to address it.

This has to do with the auto tilt-away feature (I know I know: easy search - but I haven't found anything on here that talks about this specific problem). Within 12 hours of buying the car the "auto" tilt feature quit working. Sometimes if you pull the key out just right, in a quick and reckless motion it still works, but if you just normally turn the car off and pull the key out it starts to move up, but only moves a millimeter or so - like it WANTS to go up, but won't. When the column DOES move, it moves completely silent and smooth. So it still works with the button on the column...kinda: Sometimes you hold the button down or up and the tilt works perfectly. Other times you have to keep pushing the button up, letting off, then push it up again, etc. where it will move a fraction of a millimeter at a time. Very odd problem, but my gut tells me it's something very simple, i.e. a loose wire connector or something like that. The mechanics of the tilt are perfect; like I said it's very smooth and quiet when it works.

Anyone have an idea about this before I drop in on the dealership and take the kick to the gut I know it'll be? (- at least a $1,000).

-Sean

It is likely that the tilt and telescope motors were not replaced with the redesigned improved onces under the relevant TSIBs while the car was within warranty. I fairly certain I've posted the TSIBs in the past here. There is an additional TSIB to replace the flexible cable coupling in the steering shaft with a more rigid part which I think has a u-joint.

The cost having the dealer apply all the tilt/telescope TSIBs when the car is out of warranty is way more than $1000.

It is likely that the tilt and telescope motors were not replaced with the redesigned improved onces under the relevant TSIBs while the car was within warranty. I fairly certain I've posted the TSIBs in the past here. There is an additional TSIB to replace the flexible cable coupling in the steering shaft with a more rigid part which I think has a u-joint.

The cost having the dealer apply all the tilt/telescope TSIBs when the car is out of warranty is way more than $1000.

Also I think there was also a TSB about a too-tight wiring harness; something about how when the column moves it pulls on the harness and somehow cancels the tilting motion. You might want to ask your dealer if your car was affected I think it was late LS400's and early LS430's (the design is similar).

Does the tilt function work normally when you manually adjust it?

• 2 weeks later...
Spray some kind of cleaner in the key hole to release the pin.

Thanks SK. I actually ended up trying your idea - it was the cheapest - and it worked!

I got some white lithium grease and sprayed the key lightly on both sides. After inserting and re-inserting the key several times the problem has not returned. I hope somebody else reads this someday!

Spray some kind of cleaner in the key hole to release the pin.

Thanks SK. I actually ended up trying your idea - it was the cheapest - and it worked!

I got some white lithium grease and sprayed the key lightly on both sides. After inserting and re-inserting the key several times the problem has not returned. I hope somebody else reads this someday!

for future reference, you generally don't wanna put lithium grease into locks since it tends to gunk up over time leading to expensive repairs, rather use powdered graphite lubricant.