92 Sc400 ... Worth It?

SupraMan

I have an option to buy a very babied all it's life '92 SC400. Owner inherited it from deceased elderly aunt's estate (some dudes have all the luck!), and seemed equally fanatical in upkeep. Cosmetics and maintenance perfect. Heck, this is a 4th car for him; he only put a couple hundred miles on it this year. It's been garaged all it's life, probably never saw WOT from either of them! He just did a major dealership tune with timing belt, wp, plugs n wires, all fluids, BG fuel clean, align n balance, more ... EVERYTHING I would do, without the dealership and their $2k bill. Tires like new. It has a 'lifetime guaranteed' alternator; seems to me the power steering leak problem already happened, too.

No CD player, but I have a Pioneer 6 from a 96 ES to slip in. (That's my present commuter, unreal reliability at 155k and still runs perfect). This looks like a dream car, but I did buy a never spanked, girlie owned 12 year old 10,000 mile Supra turbo with lots of aging problems in electronics after the purchase ongoing for my ownership. Am I asking for trouble with this 62k pampered beast, or is it a dream deal at $7500? I can go both ways on this, help me (get more confused!). Also, should I expect at least 17 mpg with a 400, with a hopeful 23 on the road cruising, or less? Thanks for your input guys, I'm unsure that this isn't anything more than a money pit with control arm bushings dried out, etc. Always wanted one, this seems like a dream deal to me.

:cheers:

According the the car valuation web sites - for whatever they are worth - $7500 is very high for a 92 SC400 of that mileage and condition.

It really comes down to whether you think it is a good deal and whether or not others in your area think this is a car that justifies the high price and would be willing to buy it at the same high price.

Even low mileage cars age -- the biggest potential issue is corrosion in the electrical system.

SupraMan, Kelly Blue Book has it listed for $6,575...Excellent Condition. This of course is for the state of MD. Have you test driven the car, looking for common problems that occur with these cars? This link will give you some ideas, if you see any problems describe in this site. Point them out to the seller and talk the price down.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingRep...QuizConditions=

I have an option to buy a very babied all it's life '92 SC400. Owner inherited it from deceased elderly aunt's estate (some dudes have all the luck!), and seemed equally fanatical in upkeep. Cosmetics and maintenance perfect. Heck, this is a 4th car for him; he only put a couple hundred miles on it this year. It's been garaged all it's life, probably never saw WOT from either of them! He just did a major dealership tune with timing belt, wp, plugs n wires, all fluids, BG fuel clean, align n balance, more ... EVERYTHING I would do, without the dealership and their $2k bill. Tires like new. It has a 'lifetime guaranteed' alternator; seems to me the power steering leak problem already happened, too.

No CD player, but I have a Pioneer 6 from a 96 ES to slip in. (That's my present commuter, unreal reliability at 155k and still runs perfect). This looks like a dream car, but I did buy a never spanked, girlie owned 12 year old 10,000 mile Supra turbo with lots of aging problems in electronics after the purchase ongoing for my ownership. Am I asking for trouble with this 62k pampered beast, or is it a dream deal at $7500? I can go both ways on this, help me (get more confused!). Also, should I expect at least 17 mpg with a 400, with a hopeful 23 on the road cruising, or less? Thanks for your input guys, I'm unsure that this isn't anything more than a money pit with control arm bushings dried out, etc. Always wanted one, this seems like a dream deal to me.

Are there no dealer's service records? If not, why? Warranty would have been voided if service wasn't done! How much of the history for this SC is documented with receipts if there are no dealership service records? Can you verify the current owner's claims? Have you had an inspection done at either a Lexus or Toyota dealership? Lexus cars can look great for many years, especially one that has been protected from the elements. Do a carfax check, and run the vin through Toyota for all records they have on the vehicle. Have it thoroughly inspected and tested. Do an extended test drive in either really cold or really hot weather (well, can't really do that now). Put the car up and have it checked underneath. Not saying this can't be a great find, just "when things sound too good to be true ....", caveat emptor!

I bought my neighbor's 92SC400 a year and a half ago. My situation was similar to yours. The car hardly got driven for five years. Wish they did what your potential seller did. Within two thousand miles of my driving it, the timing belt busted, and I spent $1500 getting it fixed (along with new plugs, wires, caps, water pump). Then right after that, the O2 sensor went bad and the back side of the engine block blew a freeze plug and started leaking coolant. Had to drop the tranny to get the plug replaced. Then I had an intermittent starting problem, couldn't really figure it out for a while. Changed the battery, and the fuel ECU and it seemed to help. but it came back. I (electronic spray cleaner) cleaned out the connectors that had to be disconnected from the timing belt job, and so far, I think that was my problem. The connectors (I think) go to the crankshaft sensor and the coil, I could be wrong.

Driver's side window fell down, replaced the window regulator. Passenger side going bad. Third brake light on spoiler not working. Found the wires were cut from the wearing and pulling on the electrical wires when the trunk lid was opened, easy fix.

But all in all, very nice car. Like you said, my bushings could get replaced, but I don't want to drop any more money into it. Don't regret it, but probably wouldn't buy a 92 next time, maybe a 97-00.