Advice Sought

HRP

Y'all's advice is much sought after since my car's extended warranty is running out in early September 2009. And this is our first Lexus.

1) 2002 LS430 (we bought it new) with only Sunroof and heated seats (no other bells and whistles).

2) Nearly 85k with 6 months left before extended bumber to bumper warranty runs out

3) Car is in great shape, clean, no known problems except keeping the exterior mirrors in adjustment, handles well, no KNOWN issues. All servicing thus far has been done by local Lexus dealers.

4) Also 85k servicing within next 2 weeks and 90 K servicing will be done before Extended Warranty expires this Labor Day (so between new tires and these services, I'm looking to drop close to $2500 into the car this year).

5) Advice on adding any kind of additional warranty???

Based on y'all's experience, when she goes in for the 85 and 90k servicing, are therre any specific trouble spots which ought to be mentioned and checked??

Let's face it, I don't want to get stuck with a major repair next fall which should have been handled under the warranty. Or listen to my wife say, "I told you to ask about that." We generally drive cars until they become unreliable tansportation and do not now have a case of "New Car Fever". And our Lexus is our "newest" car and looks to be reliable into the future.

Thank y'all for any advice, recommendations, snide comments, etc.

Based on y'all's experience, when she goes in for the 85 and 90k servicing, are therre any specific trouble spots which ought to be mentioned and checked??

Let's face it, I don't want to get stuck with a major repair next fall which should have been handled under the warranty. Or listen to my wife say, "I told you to ask about that." We generally drive cars until they become unreliable tansportation and do not now have a case of "New Car Fever". And our Lexus is our "newest" car and looks to be reliable into the future.

Thank y'all for any advice, recommendations, snide comments, etc.

Not that I can recall. The only long term maintenance issues for these cars is the air suspension; which it looks like your car doesn't have. There was a recall for the '04 models which results in a new transmission but I don't think there's anything of note on the '02 models. My LS is of similar age and mileage and I haven't had any issues; I've been out of warranty since '05.

Make sure they change the water pump as part of the 90k service; and you might want to change the idler pulley sometimes they tend to squeak. If the exterior mirrors stop folding in you might try to get the dealer to replace them; new they're $750 a pop; or $150 each on Ebay.

Also ask the dealer if there are any service bulletins or other mid-year fixes that apply to your car; if it's still under warranty they should do those too.

If you change the oil and the timing belt and don't drive the LS like a teenager it will last a long time. I do believe someone here mentioned seeing an LS from the mid 1990's with 600,000 miles; still with the original engine and transmission.

Is that long enough?

:cheers:

I have a 2002 as well. If your mirrors are giving you problems--have them replaced. I've had mine replaced 4 or 5 times (some on each side) and one mirror controller. If I remember correctly the mirrors are +/- $700 each at the dealer and the ECU is +/- 400 installed. If you purchased the Lexus Platinum extended warranty, they are covered.