Three Shifter Lights Work Intermittently

Myce

When I first crank my 1990 LS 400, the Reverse, Neutral, and Drive lights do not illuminate on the Instrument Cluster panel; but after the car warms up, they begin to work fine. If I jiggle the Shifter handle, the Neutral and Drive lights will flutter on for a second or two, but then they go off when the jiggling stops. The Reverse light does not respond to jiggling the Shifter handle, and the Reverse tail lights also do not work until the car warms up and the Shifter lights start working. I have no problems with Park, 2nd, and Low. For the record, I have read thru all of the threads here and have not spotted anyone else having this exact problem. I have checked the left trunk hinge wires, and they are ok; and I have replaced the Instrument Cluster panel with one with just 77,000 miles, but these problems remain. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks!

Mine did this a few months ago when it first started getting cool in the mornings, but only when it was in "D" (drive) for a short period. If I wiggled the shifter, the light would flash and then illuminate and stay on when the car warmed up. It did it for like two weeks straight, then it just stopped doing it. Since then, its worked fine, no matter the temperature. Strange.

I dont think it has anything to do with the trunk hinge wires or the cluster itself. I think its just probably where the contacts? on the shifter are showing their age.

Alot of cars lose their "D" light, because since thats the one thats on the most, the light burns out, but I dont think this is the case on the LS400.

As far as the lights on the down by shifter itself, mine dont work, nor have they since I have owned the car. :rolleyes: At this time, this is the least of my concerns with this car.

Mine did this a few months ago when it first started getting cool in the mornings, but only when it was in "D" (drive) for a short period. If I wiggled the shifter, the light would flash and then illuminate and stay on when the car warmed up. It did it for like two weeks straight, then it just stopped doing it. Since then, its worked fine, no matter the temperature. Strange.

I dont think it has anything to do with the trunk hinge wires or the cluster itself. I think its just probably where the contacts? on the shifter are showing their age.

Alot of cars lose their "D" light, because since thats the one thats on the most, the light burns out, but I dont think this is the case on the LS400.

As far as the lights on the down by shifter itself, mine dont work, nor have they since I have owned the car. :rolleyes: At this time, this is the least of my concerns with this car.

My lights on the down shifter don't work either, but that is not a big deal to me. The most troublesome problem is when I don't have reverse tail lights, since it makes it difficult to see where I am backing up. Also, not being able to see what gear I'm in can be frustrating. :unsure: So, I'll keep hoping that someone will have an idea what might be causing this. Thanks for your reply and insights! :D

Oh, your reverse lights dont work either? Ew, that is a problem!

Yeah, hopefully someone will know more about it than me. All I know is how costly these are to maintain. ;)

Good luck!

My lights on the down shifter don't work either, but that is not a big deal to me. The most troublesome problem is when I don't have reverse tail lights, since it makes it difficult to see where I am backing up. Also, not being able to see what gear I'm in can be frustrating. :unsure: So, I'll keep hoping that someone will have an idea what might be causing this. Thanks for your reply and insights! :D

• 1 month later...

Okay I am in the works of fixing this issue. Getting irritated doing so but think process and error working so far. I think the issue is a neutral safety switch located on the upper passenger side of the tranny. It tells the computer and gauges what gear your in and in the case of reverse it also turns the reverse lights on.

Right now my R stays on with lights and won't let the car shift out of 1st thinking the car is in Reverse.

I think I might have to lower tranny to replace this part and so far the part is $100-$200 to replace.

I will let you know if I replace this and that is the problem.