Xm Radio For $77 For One Year! Ymmv

Just passing along the savings!

I called XM @ 1-800-347-0600. Told the person that I wanted the $77/year promotion I "saw" on-line. They gave it to me with no problems! They didnt ask me for a promotional code. Also, if your car was never set up for the 3 month free trial, then ask for that to begin before your 1 yr promo offer (so 15 months for $77!).

If you're really lucky you can inquire about the $12.95 credit for having a credit card on file, they gave that to me too!

One slight warning: When my 1 year is up, they will begin billing me @ $38 per quarter unless I call them back to specify otherwise.

Happy listening!

Man I tell ya...I have heard about satellite radio shutting down in the next year, and some other input about the signal quality being kind of low. I am not sure if this is something I would want to do.

But I also dragged my feet on tivo too, and now I can't live without it. I could be wrong about satellite radio!

Im pretty sure you posted this exact same thing like 5 days ago and then It disappeared, and you re posted.

Here : http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry355246

Is this an add? Im pretty sure you cant do this on this forum, because XM/Sirus are Millions of dollars in dept, and it seems to me that you are just trying to get people to purchase their product before they file for bankruptcy.

Your not just passing on the savings, your advertising for them and trying to trick people into doing this.

So for anyone who is looking into doing this, DON'T they will get you and then have your credit card on file and I've heard it's almost impossible to get your credit card taken off, even if you call the BBB.

No this isn't an ad and I did not post this 5 days ago. Do you see any kind of referral link? I signed up for this myself, why would I want to "trick" myself and others into doing this.

This is a deal, a deal that I think is awesome. I just read that XM is in talks of filing for Ch 11 which means they haven't even filed yet, and even if they do file Ch 11--it only means they will be restructuring their debt, getting rid of ridiculous contracts like Howard Stern ($500mil/5yrs) and spinning off failing divisions. Ch 11 does not happen over night, it takes many months even years to complete.

Even if I only got 6 months (the minimum time for a Ch 11 to complete) for $77 before they finally do pull the plug, that would mean I paid $13/month, which is the normal price. Sure it wouldn't be as good of a deal but I definitely wouldn't be getting ripped off either.

XM Sirius will likely be filing chapter 11 very soon. They have $175 million in debt payments coming due and they don't have the money.

That's bad for bondholders and bad for equity holders, but should not affect their delivery of product.

XM Sirius will likely be filing chapter 11 very soon. They have $175 million in debt payments coming due and they don't have the money.

That's bad for bondholders and bad for equity holders, but should not affect their delivery of product.

Exactly.

So please note that they are CONSIDERING filing chapter 11, not chapter 7. They are trying to reorganize their debt, not liquidate the company.

Another interesting blurb I just read:

"Sirius XM had amassed 18.9 million subscribers as of last year's third quarter, just shy of the 21 million active Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry subscribers at the time. Satellite radio's roll call is nearly double the 10 million subscribers at Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX) today, and several times the audience size that TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) commands. Satellite television leader DirecTV (NYSE: DTV) closed out 2008 with just 17.6 million subscribers.

Presiding over nearly 19 million people who are willing to pay for premium radio sounds valuable to me. How valuable? I guess the next few days will let us know."

When you compare numbers to other household names, that's pretty impressive.

Charles Ergen from Echostar has been buying up the debt from XM Sirius, he already has pumped hundreds of millions into the company and intends to make their debt payment of 175 million on February 17. The sattelite radio service will continue, however the shareholders are losing all the equity they had in the companies.

The service will survive, but shareholder equity will be gone. The stock is less than a dime a share, so it was lost way before the bond issues raised up, although the debt coming due has been an ongoing issue for a few years. I love my XM!! But they are raising their prices this month from $6.99 to $8.99/month for subscribers who have more than one radio.

As a person who bought WorldCom stock at different points on the way down (as low as 5 cents per share!) by assuming that a company headed for bankruptcy won't fail, I can confidently state that if a business model doesn't make sense and isn't profitable enough, it will collapse.

Nothing is too big to fail.

As a person who bought WorldCom stock at different points on the way down (as low as 5 cents per share!) by assuming that a company headed for bankruptcy won't fail, I can confidently state that if a business model doesn't make sense and isn't profitable enough, it will collapse.

And looked what happened today... hmmm no bankruptcy and I will continue on my happy listening. :D

And looked what happened today... hmmm no bankruptcy and I will continue on my happy listening. :D

I don't think there is anything more annoying than an "I told you so" over something meaningless.

Honestly, I hope it works out for you. I am not sitting around waiting for the next company to collapse while wringing my hands. Sincerely...I hope it makes it. I am a believer in the free market.

But for me, and apparently for others, ignoring warning signs doesn't make good financial sense.

I don't own a sat radio subscription, but based on what I have been reading in the posts here:

1. Sound quality seems to be crap for the era we live in.

2. Interfaces are expensive and don't work all that well in the Lexus.

3. Sat signal is spotty in the urban jungle and not great in buildings.

4. Most importantly, and contrary to common sense, apparently you are paying a subscription and still have commercials you have to contend with. Really?

With that said, congratulations! You have a subscription to mediocrity. :cheers:

Whether or not "wildta" is a shill for XM is beside the point. The main reason satellite radio is failing is that relatively few people see it as being of enough value that they want to pay for it. The two, now one, satellite radio companies have not been able to retain customers let alone get enough new customers to replace the ones bailing out.

I've had enough of satellite radio while listening to it in rental cars on several one to two week mostly pleasure trips. Maybe I would think it is of value if I lived in a very rural area where there are few radio stations ... but there aren't enough people living in very rural areas to keep a satellite radio service going.

Maybe I would occasionally listen to satellite radio in my own cars if it was free but I am not willing to pay extra for a satellite radio and I am certainly not willing to pay for a monthly subscription to a service with content I do not value.

I doubt if XM/Sirius will go out of business unless one or more satellites fail. It is more likely that someone will buy, downsize and operate the service.