Idling Vibration....

urban

My 98 LX470 seems to be vibrating more than normal when stopped. Purrs like a kitten when in PARK, but as soon as i put it into drive, the car vibrates. Dealer said it was normal, but it wasn't happening last month. Any ideas?

urban

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

My 2003 LX470 always idled quietly, until quite suddenly at just under 16,000 miles I noticed what I would describe as a roaring sound (not really a vibration) when the vehicle was idling in gear. The roar occurs with engine idling at or just under 600 rpm. The roar is louder if you lean forward. When idling in park or neutral the vehicle is as quiet as ever, but the vehicle is also idling at higher rpm then. Is this what you guys are describing? I don't really notice a vibration. I just hear a mild to moderate roar that tends to make my ears feel stuffed up as I wait in traffic for the light to turn green. Hit the gas and we're back to normal. The dealer has ordered engine insulators and dampers along with exhaust dampers. Since I'm about to take off for a long road trip to south FL, I'd sure like to know that its not something more sinister.

I went under the car yesterday and found that the whole exhaust system vibrates when I shift gear to D or R. The vibration from the exhaust transfer to the frame and cause the booming noise and vibration. Can someone check with the dealer so see if they see common problem with the exhaust dampers? are there better dampers to replace the existing ones?

99 lx470

• 10 months later...
My 98 LX470 seems to be vibrating more than normal when stopped.  Purrs like a kitten when in PARK, but as soon as i put it into drive, the car vibrates.  Dealer said it was normal, but it wasn't happening last month.  Any ideas?

urban

I have the same problem, my car has 5000 miles on it and has spent about 3 weeks with the dealer to repair the problem. The "lexus engineer" from whereever he came from said this is normal. Did you resolve your problem??? Any ideas???

There is a TSB that deals with this...they will install more dampners.

They told me that they loosened the exhaust system, and installed then removed 3 pieces (he explained that they were counterweights) The service manager told me that they hadn't changed anything. I got the car back today and it is as loud if not louder then ever. I followed up with a phone call to the service manager and Lexus cust. support. Thursday, I'll follow up with a letter. What is a TSB and should I tell them about it??? Did these dampeners fix your problem???

Thanks

There is a TSB that deals with this...they will install more dampners.

What is a TSB and should I tell them about it???

Technical Service Bulletin. I think they are usually issued when there is a reoccurant or inherent problem. Helps give folks a heads-up so they can more quickly identify and correct known problems.