2003 Gs300 Noise Behind Dashboard

Hey everyone,

As mentioned I have a 2003 GS300 Sport Design, and here is what happens. Not every time, but most times, when I am stopped at a light or whatever, and I start to accelerate, during those first 2 seconds or so of acceleration, I hear what sounds like little pebbles bouncing around behind the dashboard. At first I thought I was running over some gravel or pebbles and they were bouncing around against the car, but subsequently it happened on a regular basis so I knew that couldn't be it.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this "bouncing pebbles" sound? I don't think it is a huge deal b/c the car runs great, but I am just curious as to what it may be.

Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone,

As mentioned I have a 2003 GS300 Sport Design, and here is what happens. Not every time, but most times, when I am stopped at a light or whatever, and I start to accelerate, during those first 2 seconds or so of acceleration, I hear what sounds like little pebbles bouncing around behind the dashboard. At first I thought I was running over some gravel or pebbles and they were bouncing around against the car, but subsequently it happened on a regular basis so I knew that couldn't be it.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this "bouncing pebbles" sound? I don't think it is a huge deal b/c the car runs great, but I am just curious as to what it may be.

Thank you in advance!

I have the SAME thing going on! I've been dealing with it for well over a year. At first I thought the same thing, pebbles stuck in the tread being flung off under the wheel wells. I'm at a loss...

could be mice! :o

sadly that is true it could be rats or mice. check the cabin air filter for ne signs of them

LOL do you expect me to believe you are serious? You would have to be 100% retarded to think that mice are making noise only when the car begins accelerating... hahaha thanks though, I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little school boy....

LOL do you expect me to believe you are serious? You would have to be 100% retarded to think that mice are making noise only when the car begins accelerating... hahaha thanks though, I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little school boy....

i didnt notice u said ONLY when the car accelerates. then no its not them. but im not jokin or kidding.....mice/rats in our cabin air filters and intake manifolds/engine bays has been a problem. im 100% serious! especially if u live outside the city

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...n-the-dash.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-me-2200-a.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-dirty-rat.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-hate-rats.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...art-update.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...e-very-low.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...e-dealer-2.html

so no. i wasnt jokin.

hmm, only 7 links to critters causing dash noise? Could you please provide 10 or 12 more to make your point? ;)

I swear to god, I love people who ask for help and then be nasty when they get one they don't understand.:chairshot:

Here you go sakataj and djspawn, here is the answer you could/should have gotten:

"Hey guys, thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to help me out, I actually did a search all on my own like I did when I was a little school boy and I found what you said was true! :D Crazy, right? I checked it and didn't see any sign of critters in there, thank God. Any other suggestions?

hmm, only 7 links to critters causing dash noise? Could you please provide 10 or 12 more to make your point? ;)

I swear to god, I love people who ask for help and then be nasty when they get one they don't understand.:chairshot:

Here you go sakataj and djspawn, here is the answer you could/should have gotten:

"Hey guys, thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to help me out, I actually did a search all on my own like I did when I was a little school boy and I found what you said was true! :D Crazy, right? I checked it and didn't see any sign of critters in there, thank God. Any other suggestions?

BillyShaft you are right, I guess I was just having a bad day, it's not like me to give rude responses like that, especially when someone takes the time to respond to my need. However, I think you could ease up on me a little bit too b/c it makes you sound a little bit hypocritical "fighting fire with fire", so to speak. Nonetheless, point taken and I apologize for the negative response sakataj. Thanks for the eye-opener BillyShaft; I mean that sincerely.

i didnt notice u said ONLY when the car accelerates. then no its not them. but im not jokin or kidding.....mice/rats in our cabin air filters and intake manifolds/engine bays has been a problem. im 100% serious! especially if u live outside the city

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...n-the-dash.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-me-2200-a.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-dirty-rat.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...-hate-rats.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...art-update.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...e-very-low.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...e-dealer-2.html

so no. i wasnt jokin.

Sorry for the rude response sakataj, I appreciate your effort taking the time to respond to my question. I almost wish it were a rat, seems like it would be easier to eliminate the noise than it seems to be for this lol.

BillyShaft you are right, I guess I was just having a bad day, it's not like me to give rude responses like that, especially when someone takes the time to respond to my need. However, I think you could ease up on me a little bit too b/c it makes you sound a little bit hypocritical "fighting fire with fire", so to speak. Nonetheless, point taken and I apologize for the negative response sakataj. Thanks for the eye-opener BillyShaft; I mean that sincerely.

No problem dado...I think I tend to take the side of the helpful knowledgeable guys who give their time and info so freely. I have learned a lot from them. Occasionally I do go overboard with the sarcasm a bit. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. :(

Know this tho; when you have been here helping out a bit I will do the exact same thing for you! :D

So, you looked and found no critters? I once had a family of squirrels living under the hood of my 87 325is. Lil buggers stripped all the insulation off my a/c lines and made a big-!Removed! mess. Luckily they only partly chewed the wires running thru there.

Love it when LOC posters make nice! :cheers: Especially right before valentines. Good practice for tomorrow. :whistles:

If sakataj's links don't help you out, another source of rattles (besides them mices) is the steering column. Sometimes it can sound like it's coming from the windshiled area. Check all the panels while you're driving. Just place some pressure on various sections with your hand/fingers to see if it stops. If you find it there, you can place some self adhesive felt strips in between the panels for the fix.

crap.. i just started getting some metallic sounding rattling under acceleration today.... i guess I'll find it when I pull out my dashboard in spring... <_<

Did you check for mice? :D

Whoa, mices chewing on metal!!! :o Better break out the BIG BAT! :chairshot:

crap.. i just started getting some metallic sounding rattling under acceleration today.... i guess I'll find it when I pull out my dashboard in spring... <_<

Mice? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever.... oh wait... LOL jk hahaha ;)

Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!

I was getting this sound too, after I found that my antifreeze level was really low I’ve added more and it went a way.

Check the level of your antifreeze.

Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!

I was getting this sound too, after I found that my antifreeze level was really low I’ve added more and it went a way.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the option, I never would have though of that, I will have to check it out and let you all know if it works!

stop it. now u r antagonizing! lol...

to the OP my name is brian and no u didnt offend me or bother me. i dont normally get on during the weekend as i normally try and play catch up on everything im behind on! good luck. let us know what u find out

• 10 months later...
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the option, I never would have though of that, I will have to check it out and let you all know if it works!

Did you ever solve this issue? My 2000 GS300 has been making the same noise.

• 2 months later...

i had a noise i swore was coming from my dash. I never took it out but crawled under a few times to check alarm wires or loose relays but nope. Even pulled out my sunroof tube (took forever to put back) but the that wasnt it. Then i realized it was coming from outside threw the fender so i took it off too. NOPE! After bouncing the car for a few i noticed the nice and pin pointed it down to the strut mount. Replace the mounts and struts and it was gone. Anyone looking for struts this website sells KYB parts at a good price Justsuspensions.com got the mounts and struts for under 215 shipped. Mention there advertisement on amazon to get that price or they will charge about $20 more.

Now as retarded as this is going to sound I had the same problem. It turns ou when I accelerate the pebbles in my head rattle. Hence, the noise. Seriously though I had low coolant that trapped air in the system and when you accelerate the water pump pushes coolant through what I think is the heater core behind the dash. Top off your coolant and make sure you don't trap air in there..