Egr Valve - Gas Mileage?

Lexodus

I have a CEL (check engine light) that reads an EGR valve sensor malfunction - I have also experienced a drop in Gas Mileage from 23-24 a year ago to a little less than 20 in my last couple of tanks since the CEL came on.

I was told that the EGR valve didnt really effect anything??? Do you think its the cause of my MPG drop? I got new tires, struts, and an alignment a few months back and if anything that should have helped my MPG right?

Anyone replace the EGR valve and notice a difference?

Thanks!

Thanks, the main reason I havent fixed it yet is because Lexus left off the EGR position sensor on the 2000-2001 ES because they said it wasnt necessary. I thought if the 2000 and 2001 models dont need it why does my 97??? The lexus dealer told me that the EGR valve shouldnt effect performance or MPG but it would slightly effect emissions. Another reason I didnt fix it is that the cost of a new EGR valve is over $400 at the dealership. And actully my code only reads a problem with the sensor and not the EGR valve itself I found out. The new sensor is only $31.99 at a local autoparts store so I think I'll give it a try.