Life Of 99 Lexus Lx 470

smithjack31

HI, I BOUGHT A 1999 LEXUS LX 470 IN APRIL 03 AND I AM COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH THE VEHICLE. I HAVE NOT HAD TO DO ANYTHING TO IT SO FAR BUT THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE, MY QUESTION IS THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE, I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WITH 77,000 MILES ON IT, I NOW HAVE 105,000 AND STILL GOING STRONG, HOW MANY MILES CAN I EXPECT TO DO ON THIS VEHICLE. IT SEEMS THE HIGHER THE MILEAGE THE MORE EXPENSIVE THE DEALERSHIP SERVICES ARE. PLEASE ADVISE.

Well sure, as anything ages it gets more costly to maintain, even people. You can save some money by not taking it to the dealer or taking it to Toyota. No reason to pay the dealer's labor rates unless you need the free loaner.

Lexus and the LX are very reliable vehicles, I see no reason why you couldn't expect to see 200k+ miles...

You should easily expect 200k miles from the engine and tranny.

That said, there are some minor nagging things that may start to go. I had a Land Cruiser (1994 model year) that started to nickel and dime me at around 115k miles. Things that I had to replace and/or have work done:

battery,

O2 sensor,

full tune up (plugs, wires, dist cap, etc.),

starter,

full brakes rotors (front and rear),

radiator.

and a set of wires that had the insulation worn off (which caused a short -- which caused my EFI fuse to keep blowing).

The tune up and the brakes should be considered as part of the regular maintenance. The others are just things that wear out over time.

I know you said that you have a 470 -- my old LC was the equivalent to the 450 -- but parts are parts...I'd bet the 470 would probably have similar things wear out at around the same time.

Doug

THANKS FOR THE INFO, I JUST RECENTLY AT 96,000 MILES HAD THE MAJOR TUNE UP THAT COST ME ABOUT 1,200.00 OR MORE AND THEY REPLACED THE PLUGS AND WIRES, BELTS ETC. I ALSO HAD A MAJOR BRAKE JOB WHEN I FIRST BROUGHT THE CAR IN APRIL 03 BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS OWNER PROBABLY DID NOT DO THEM FOR A WHILE. THE FRONT AND REAR BRAKES WERE SHOT EVEN THE CALIPERS HAD TO BE RELAPLACED. SO HOPEFULLY I SHOULD ONLY HAVE TO DO PADS AND CUT ROTORS NEXT TIME.

God thats nickel and diming? Thats nothing compared to other vehicles I've had over 100k miles...

No.

In comparison to other cars/trucks, that's really not bad at all. It was just that I spent over $2000 over a 2 month period while all this happened. And, like I said, some of it was just maintenance.

The good thing that came out of all that was that the replacement for my '94 Land Cruiser was my '97 LX 450.

:cheers:

• 3 months later...
God thats nickel and diming? Thats nothing compared to other vehicles I've had over 100k miles...

No.

In comparison to other cars/trucks, that's really not bad at all. It was just that I spent over $2000 over a 2 month period while all this happened. And, like I said, some of it was just maintenance.

The good thing that came out of all that was that the replacement for my '94 Land Cruiser was my '97 LX 450.

:cheers:

If you really pay attention to your manuals, the service logs go pass 150K. I do not see this on any other manufacturers manual. Do the regular maintenance recommended on you manual and you should be fine.

You should easily expect 200k miles from the engine and tranny.

That said, there are some minor nagging things that may start to go. I had a Land Cruiser (1994 model year) that started to nickel and dime me at around 115k miles. Things that I had to replace and/or have work done:

battery,

O2 sensor,

full tune up (plugs, wires, dist cap, etc.),

starter,

full brakes rotors (front and rear),

radiator.

and a set of wires that had the insulation worn off (which caused a short -- which caused my EFI fuse to keep blowing).

The tune up and the brakes should be considered as part of the regular maintenance. The others are just things that wear out over time.

I know you said that you have a 470 -- my old LC was the equivalent to the 450 -- but parts are parts...I'd bet the 470 would probably have similar things wear out at around the same time.

Doug

Wow, I had to do all that with my bmw during the first 8 mos of ownership. I bought the car with 55K miles. I've probably spent over 3 grand so far.

• 18 years later...

I have a 1999 LX470 and I've had it for 4 years and I replace the starter, brake pads and a small hose that busted by the windshield that connects to my radiator.  When I bought my car it had a 125000 original miles on it  in 2019on it now it has a 160000 miles in 2023.

I was just told the reason why it won't kick over at the start point is because my computer has gone out.  In years my car is really old but looking at the miles for a 20 plus year old car to only have a 160000 original miles means that it has not been ran now I don't understand why the computer would stop working.

Open for any suggestions this is just very hard for me to understand.

My Lexus 300 has 300,000 miles and the Catalitic converters went out before the computer.  

On 2/24/2023 at 2:32 AM, Lee Turner said:

I have a 1999 LX470 and I've had it for 4 years and I replace the starter, brake pads and a small hose that busted by the windshield that connects to my radiator.  When I bought my car it had a 125000 original miles on it  in 2019on it now it has a 160000 miles in 2023.

I was just told the reason why it won't kick over at the start point is because my computer has gone out.  In years my car is really old but looking at the miles for a 20 plus year old car to only have a 160000 original miles means that it has not been ran now I don't understand why the computer would stop working.

Open for any suggestions this is just very hard for me to understand.

My Lexus 300 has 300,000 miles and the Catalitic converters went out before the computer.  

Car electronics sometimes fail as they age.  For example, there were some Lexus vehicles in 1990's that were especially prone to leaking capacitors in their ECU's.  And sometimes electronics failures can be caused by simple corrosion.  Sometimes ECU's can be repaired.  You could try buying a used ECU but it might have similar problems. 

Is whoever that diagnosed the problem offering a solution?