Upper Control Arm Bushings

lexus400

My '91 LS has 190k on it and I'm getting a slight "popping" noise when making turns. The upper control arms were replaced at 50k so they now have 140k on them. Is that a tell tale symptom that they're worn again?

The lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, rack, strut bar bushings and wheel bearings are all relatively new so I'm thinking this is one of the only components left that's got any significant mileage.

thanks,

Bob

My '91 LS has 190k on it and I'm getting a slight "popping" noise when making turns. The upper control arms were replaced at 50k so they now have 140k on them. Is that a tell tale symptom that they're worn again?

The lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, rack, strut bar bushings and wheel bearings are all relatively new so I'm thinking this is one of the only components left that's got any significant mileage.

My '99 makes a noise mostly only when I turn too. Here's the sound that mine makes: http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/bc...nt=MVI_2935.flv

Is that the same sound you're getting? I've changed lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and strut rod bushings to no avail (the parts improved other ride characteristics, but they didn't silence the noise that I get when turning). I think I'm going to change the upper control arms next (I can't help but wonder if the ball joint is bad).

sort of but mine is not quite as "heavy" as yours sounds but that might indicate that yours is a little worse I suppose.

Sounds like you have changed all the same components as I have so that leaves the UCA's as the likely culprit. I'm going to put my car back up on the lift and do a little more checking.

Bob

I have the same problem....on the upper control arms, can you just change out the bushings or do you have to buy the whole control arm (very expensive).......i have seen bushings on ebay but they say they are for a trailing arm....what is that?

sort of but mine is not quite as "heavy" as yours sounds but that might indicate that yours is a little worse I suppose.

Sounds like you have changed all the same components as I have so that leaves the UCA's as the likely culprit. I'm going to put my car back up on the lift and do a little more checking.

Bob