Shopping For New Tires

silvermistLS

Hello everyone,

Shopping for new tires here for my 93LS, I currently have Michelin MXX Energys, and while I think it's a great tire, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I've researched the Falken FK-452, and all reviews indicate it's a pretty good tire. I can get all 4 installed in my size for 350.00, which honestly seems like a hell of a deal.

I wanted to know if anyone has these tires currently installed in their LS, and if so, how the like it.

Thanks,

Al

I've tried a bunch of tires...but I just keep coming back to the Michelins. They really are a great tire, so smooth and quiet, never have any balancing or unusual wear issues.

Check out the new Primacy MXV4, it has a higher treadwear rating (620), and you can do H rated to save some cash.

I've tried a bunch of tires...but I just keep coming back to the Michelins. They really are a great tire, so smooth and quiet, never have any balancing or unusual wear issues.

Check out the new Primacy MXV4, it has a higher treadwear rating (620), and you can do H rated to save some cash.

Agreed. If you've got the coin, they're the smoothest and by far, the quietest tire out there. I have the Falkens on my '04 and the only complaint I have is the noise (when compared to my prior experience with Michelin). I got the'04 with virtually brand new Falkens, so I'm going to drive them a while. When the economy starts to look a bit brighter, I'll replace them with Michelins. Interior cabin noise is important to me and when I hear the Falkens, I know the Michelins are much quieter. Other than that, no complaints about the Falkens.

Agreed. If you've got the coin, they're the smoothest and by far, the quietest tire out there. I have the Falkens on my '04 and the only complaint I have is the noise (when compared to my prior experience with Michelin). I got the'04 with virtually brand new Falkens, so I'm going to drive them a while. When the economy starts to look a bit brighter, I'll replace them with Michelins. Interior cabin noise is important to me and when I hear the Falkens, I know the Michelins are much quieter. Other than that, no complaints about the Falkens.

In well over 50 years of driving, I've tried many different brands from the infamous Firestone 321's to Pirelli's and have been running reliable Michelin Sports Pilots for the last 10 years. They are A/S ones, so are a little noisy, but have given good service when well maintained (correct pressure, frequent balancing, rotating, and alignment).

....and what about wheels? I have Michelin XIce2's on my factory rims and dont plan on dismounting them come spring.

Just going to buy new tires and wheels. I think I might try the Michelin Primacy but what should I be looking for in a wheel?

Dont need bling but if its bling at an affordable price....maybe :lol:

I just dont want to mess up the ride, smoothness and handling with some cheapy aftermarket wheels (if that be possible).

....and what about wheels? I have Michelin XIce2's on my factory rims and dont plan on dismounting them come spring.

Just going to buy new tires and wheels. I think I might try the Michelin Primacy but what should I be looking for in a wheel?

I just dont want to mess up the ride, smoothness and handling with some cheapy aftermarket wheels (if that be possible).

Go with the Michelins and stay with the stock wheel size. Tall wheels and thin tires ride like crap. It's beyond me why anyone puts that on an LS. Take a perfectly marvelous ride and destroy it.......No Thanks.

Go with the Michelins and stay with the stock wheel size. Tall wheels and thin tires ride like crap. It's beyond me why anyone puts that on an LS. Take a perfectly marvelous ride and destroy it.......No Thanks.

You got that right. Add stiffer schocks, thicker sway bars, lower springs, bumped up pressure, and you better have the name of really good chiropractor/message therapist and a bottle of aspirin handy! To give you an example of what kind of stiffness you can dial into a car, I remember driving back from the track in my mustang and thinking what a soft luxo ride I'm getting here, must be something wrong with the suspension somewhere! First time it happened, I actually pulled over to check it out! :P

As for tires, silver, if you want to save some $$, I'd check out some forums for the tires your interested in. You're bound to get usefull info, just like you do here, but more about tires.

You got that right. Add stiffer schocks, thicker sway bars, lower springs, bumped up pressure, and you better have the name of really good chiropractor/message therapist and a bottle of aspirin handy! To give you an example of what kind of stiffness you can dial into a car, I remember driving back from the track in my mustang and thinking what a soft luxo ride I'm getting here, must be something wrong with the suspension somewhere! First time it happened, I actually pulled over to check it out! :P

As for tires, silver, if you want to save some $$, I'd check out some forums for the tires your interested in. You're bound to get usefull info, just like you do here, but more about tires.

Like I said;

post-21824-1234034133_thumb.jpg

Thanks ThreadCutter. That's what I thought. Part of the forum is made up those wishing to trick out their ride(at the expense of comfort) and the other in pursuit of ride/comfort perfection.

I am in the latter. I will stick with stock 16 inch wheels and start looking for a set on Ebay.

I can see from a search on Ebay and Craigslist that finding decent stock wheels is not going to be easy...or cheap.

Lets see, who was the guy that recently totaled his LS? The buzzards are circling :P

Didn't wanna open a new thread on this but is it ok to put 205/65/15 tires in the back and 205/70/15 in front?

I'm getting a great deal but was wondering if its gonna make my trac or abs go crazy. They are Toyo 800 by the way.

Thanks

I would not put different size tires on the front than the back. You run the risk of changing the handling dynamics of the car.

The tires are the only place your car contacts the road, don't skimp on safety with tires.

silvermistLS'

Shopping for new tires here for my 93LS, I currently have Michelin MXX Energys, and while I think it's a great tire, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

SilvermistLS, let's look at the original question and expand upon it.

1) Your LS is 16 years old and has ???miles on it and is in what condition??.

2) Is it a daily driver?

3) Who rides in it and under what adverse conditions do you drive?

4) Is the car still reliable and up to par in other respects?

5) How much longer do you realistically think you can contine to drive it?

After looking at the above plus other possible considerations, is it worth the difference to you to purchase Michelin (or another premium quality tire) for safety and reliability??

My '02 430LS is going to require a new set of shoes soon, and she's gonna get Michelin Sport Pilots (A/S)

When my '91 Buick Reatta Convertible with 100k on it needs a new set, it's gonna get Michelin Sport Pilots (A/S). Have a new Haartz top pending for this one that's gonna set me back close to $1500, but since only 150 were sold, it's worth it.

When my 1977 Excalibur Roadster needs new shoes...yep,,,Sports Pilots (7 made)

When my wife's 2001 Honda CR-V needs new shows.. the same. We've been maried nearly 47 years and i ain't ever gonna try to break in a new wife. Rather spend the bucks on good tires to keep her safe.

Fortunately, the LS is the only one which will need new tires in '09. But I'm an MD and have seen too many bad things in the ER that could have been prevented with better quality equipment, including new tires. It just ain't worth it to save a couple hundred bucks on a set of tires. New Michelins (or any other quality premium tires) on a daily driver are well worth the additional cost.

silvermistLS'

2) Is it a daily driver?

After looking at the above plus other possible considerations, is it worth the difference to you to purchase Michelin (or another premium quality tire) for safety and reliability??

My '02 430LS is going to require a new set of shoes soon, and she's gonna get Michelin Sport Pilots (A/S)

When my '91 Buick Reatta Convertible with 100k on it needs a new set, it's gonna get Michelin Sport Pilots (A/S). Have a new Haartz top pending for this one that's gonna set me back close to $1500, but since only 150 were sold, it's worth it.

When my wife's 2001 Honda CR-V needs new shows.. the same. We've been maried nearly 47 years and i ain't ever gonna try to break in a new wife. Rather spend the bucks on good tires to keep her safe.

Fortunately, the LS is the only one which will need new tires in '09. But I'm an MD and have seen too many bad things in the ER that could have been prevented with better quality equipment, including new tires. It just ain't worth it to save a couple hundred bucks on a set of tires. New Michelins (or any other quality premium tires) on a daily driver are well worth the additional cost.

Well,

While I do agree that michelins are better tires, it would be unfair to say that Falkens are bad tires. I would never sacrifice safety, regardless of how often I will be driving a vehicle. The truth of the matter, is that I'm trying to determine if anyone has ever used this particular tire for their LS, not if the tire is a bad tire. I've already done a lot of research to determine that it is a pretty decent option, in fact, most research states it's better than my energy's in the wet. My main concern will be road noise.

I have been riding on a set of Kumho Solus KH16s (grand touring all season) for over a year now on my '93 LS. Find them to be very smooth and quiet - very pleased with them as a less pricey alternative tire. Being in the north country I change over to winter tires from Nov. to April - I have found Winterforce sold through Firestone dealers to work well, again at a lower cost. Good luck.

silvermistLS'

2) Is it a daily driver?

Well,

While I do agree that michelins are better tires, it would be unfair to say that Falkens are bad tires. I would never sacrifice safety, regardless of how often I will be driving a vehicle. The truth of the matter, is that I'm trying to determine if anyone has ever used this particular tire for their LS, not if the tire is a bad tire. I've already done a lot of research to determine that it is a pretty decent option, in fact, most research states it's better than my energy's in the wet. My main concern will be road noise.

As I posted earlier, if you're not getting the answers you're looking for here, then try other forums. It took me 5 sec to google the following:

http://forums.beyond.ca/forumdisplay/f-120.html

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/...splay.php?f=940

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee95103