Ls 430 Side Mirrors Freeze

Robert Young

Curious on how many others have had this problem. I've been operating the side mirrors with the "dip on reverse" feature enabled since the car was new in Feb 2006 (don't drive it a lot, only 15k mostly city miles on it now). Both mirrors have sporadically frozen in place (up/down). I first noticed something and didn't immmediately connect, when the mirrors would not be in the correct position following pulling out of the driveway or some other backing maneuver. What really got my attention is when they refused to move at all from the dipped position and were essentially unusable. While in the dipped position, I tried to correct the position ever time I drove the car and several times they would start to operate again. When they recovered function, I cycled them full range (up/down and side to side) to see if that would clear the problem, but they would freeze again in fairly short order. The dealer is replacing the mechanisms under warranty, but I hate the thought about how much that might cost if Lexus wasn't covering it. The service rep did not seem to find this problem unusual, which is the reason for this post. I like the "dip on reverse" feature, but not sure I really want to use it in the future when the "fix" may be on me. We have had several other brands that my wife and I would share, with frequent mirror adjustment, and have never had this kind of problem.

I've had to replace both mirrors several times. Once the controller needed to be replaced as well when the pass side mirror would not return after tipping down during backing. Fortunately all were under warranty as they are more than $500 each at the dealer.

I've been using the "dip" feature periodically and it has not become stuck on my 2004 LS 430. That is a little disconcerting. Is it confined to 2006 models?

Nope, my 2004 had the same problem. I was out of warranty and paid half price.

• 3 weeks later...

I did have the mirrors on both sides replaced under warranty, the cost section that you normally don't see was over $1000. The service rep indicated that this problem is fairly common for all the Lexus cars that use the "dip on reverse" feature. Hope Lexus get this sorted with a redesign for the assembly.