Cooling System

hi guys,

i had a lil problem with my car today, it over heats and sometimes it will cool down by it self so i tried adding more coolant but nothing yet i brought it in to a Shop and they want to replace my Water Reserve cause there is a leak in it and they are charging me 700$. Did any of you guys had this problem or if any of you guys knows a place where i can buy this part for a cheaper price the dealer wants 600$ for it .

they tolde me its a coment problem with the SC400 V8 is this true?

:censored::angry:

You mean the Water Pump. As a preventive maintenance recommended at 75k. $700 w/parts and labour sounds pretty cheap, compared to how much I paid on my LS.

you could also do it yourself.

i attached a pic so you can make sure what im talking about, i just called TAP Recycling and they had no more and it was 50$ the dealer wants 600$ just for the part.

it's for a 1992 SC400

i dont know why the attached file didnt wanna upload it's giving me an ERROR "you cannot upload this type of file" it was a .jepg

anyways here is a link of pic on my server:

http://66.250.86.142/~wwwdmag/part1.jpg

I just called my Lexus dealer and a coolant reservoir/expansion tank is $178.33 AND it's a stocking item!!! I get a 25% discount through my friend so that's $133.75 plus 4.16% sales tax. That's a long way from $600 ... someone is trying to make a boat payment at your expense!! :angry:

yup its nasty, but im all the way in Montreal/Canada and shops here are f***ed the dealers are boold suckers, and i have to get my car on the road as fast as i can for my work, they tolde me it's gonna take 2days and its a total of 730$

whats the # so i can order it? and how long well it take to come to Montreal/Canada?

thanks for your support.

Moe.

The part number is 16482-50020. You could try calling www.thepartsbin.com at 1-888-628-3247. I've ordered Lexus parts from them in the past and have been pleased with the cost and service.

I'm sure other Lexus dealers closer to you will have the item so you could do a search at www.lexus.com. The phone number for the dealer here is 1-808-545-3987 and they could possibly UPS or FedEx the item to you but you'd pay less shipping if the dealer is closer.

Good luck!!

:)

i attached a pic so you can make sure what im talking about, i just called TAP Recycling and they had no more and it was 50$ the dealer wants 600$ just for the part.

it's for a 1992 SC400

i dont know why the attached file didnt wanna upload it's giving me an ERROR "you cannot upload this type of file" it was a .jepg

anyways here is a link of pic on my server:

http://66.250.86.142/~wwwdmag/part1.jpg

Wow, I didn't know the 92 SC400s had the reservoir so close to the Radiator and the fan belt. The one on my LS is all the way to the left. BTW is that an aftermarket intake?

Before you left this dealership, did you ask them for an itemized estimate on this repair. I hope your right about the reservoir, and I would think about replacing the water pump. It's the most likely item to go bad in the near future, just like your steering wheel pump, scerpentine belt, timing belt and other hoses. Batt too.

now the changed my coolant reservoir/expansion tank it payed 700$ for that and i still have the same problem 15mins after i left the garage, i went back and gived them sh*t, and they are telling me now its the THERMOSTAT i dont know how long they gonna play games on me, anybody got a clue????????????????????

:censored::censored::censored: :chairshot:

To be honest with you we don't have your car infront of us, hence the reason why we're hesitant to give you a good analysis. If you live near Washington DC I could take a look at it. You could take the car to Toyota or Lexus for an analysis. Sure you'll be paying them close to $100, but they should analysis correctly. You could also have them fix it. If the problems isn't fixed, you can always :censored: until they fix it or refund your money.

BTW: Why did you pay $700 for the Coolant Reservoir? I though you'd change that yourself. I was hoping were going to pay $700 for the water pump, but not the reservoir.

I would suggest changing the thermostat yourself. It's really easy.

Engine_LS.sized.jpg

For your V8 Lexus SC400--I would recommend buying some 50/50 antifreeze from Walmart or Pepboys. I would also recommend a very large bucket, and a good set of Metric tools--no Standards. Definietely get some decent tools, specifically the ones below.

tools.jpg

I picked up a set from Walmart for $17-18. Best investment. Also, you'll definitely need a new Thermostat. Lexus or Pepboys will have that. It doesn't hurt to get a good pair of socket wrenches either.

Lift the front end up on stands/jacks-bricks behind the rear tires. Drop on the floor, and search for the white coloured plug connected at the bottom of the radiator. Once located, put the bucket underneath and open the plug, and the radiator car. Let it empty out, completely.

You're likely to remove the plastic covers infront of the hose. There are two bolts holding the hose connector. Caution, there is a good chance some antifreeze will come out, so keep a towel nearby. Once you've removed the screws, move the hose connector out of the way.

The thermostat is inside the part connected to the ENgine. A counter-clockwise twist will remove that. Compare the two Thermostats to eachother.

Reconnect-clockwise, reconnect the hose back, and put the radiator plug back in. Fill up your radiator with the 50/50 antifreeze, and restart the engine. If you still have the problem, maybe it's time to have Toyota take a look at it.

Sorry I can't offer specifics, but like I said before, we don't have your car infront of us. You could always post something titled Help- with your city and state in the title. See if there's another lexus enthusiast who can analyze your problem.

They should have changed that thermostat went they replaced the coolant reservoir :angry:

Make them change it under the condition it's for parts/ coolant only - don't pay them for labor. If they won't - take it somewhere else!

Otherwise, do as UCF3 says - you can do this! JUST BE SURE AND EXAMINE THE WAY THE THERMOSTAT IS IN PLACE WHEN YOU TAKE IT OUT - DOCUMENT WHICH END IS TOWARDS YOU SO THE NEW ONE CAN GO BACK IT THE SAME WAY - just in case.....

They should have changed that thermostat went they replaced the coolant reservoir :angry:

Make them change it under the condition it's for parts/ coolant only - don't pay them for labor. If they won't - take it somewhere else!

I get the feeling, he didn't go to a reputable place. Otherwise they would have done that by now, especially since he told them, my car is overheating and cooling strangely. Fix it and paid $700.

Make sure there's a new o-ring in the box with the thermostat!! Stories like this one make my blood boil!!! :angry:

You may want to bleed the cooling system to rule out air pockets causing your problems. I'm still not sure what you mean by "the car cools down by itself ... ". If your temperature gauge is the only indication for your overheating and "apparent" cooling problems then perhaps your coolant temp sender is faulty ... we're just guessing here!!

<_< I'm actually starting to believe it's the Thermostat.

That's the only device that can send wrong signals. if not, it could be gauge reader itself. My LS has a faulty fuel level sensor. When it's cold outside it tells me the fuel is half way down( when it's full), and I have to wait until the block is completely warmed up.

Hi first i would like to thank all you guys for taking the time and trying to help me out. The problem was they did not well bled the cooling system to rule out the air pockets, when they changed the coolant reservoir/expansion tank. I did not go to a Lexus dealer cause it was far away from me and my car was over heating big time so i was driving for 2mins and giving it a break 10mins to cool down over and over... and i just pulled up at the nearest garage, i know that a Lexus dealer would never give me this problem, now some guys were asking why did it cost 700$

it was 402 $CND for the coolant reservoir/expansion tank (order form Lexus)

105 $CND for the sensor (order form Lexus)

32$ for Coolant

60$ labour

My coolant reservoir/expansion tank was cracked so it was leaking coolant and the sensor wires on the reservoir was damaged.

they changed my Thermostat for nothing it was there bad so i didn't pay for it.

i just got my car back after 3days at the shop. it toke 2days to order the parts from lexus.

So from now on if i need any parts for my car i m gonna order them from the U.S.

Canadian Lexus dealer are just blood suckers down here and there isn't much sc400s around here in Montreal well not as much as the U.S.

thanks again guys :cheers:

Moe/Montreal/Canada

hey guess what guys on my way to work 2day my car over heated again now im gonna let it cool and im going to the shop again i will take all my money back and go to the dealer.

No body knows what could be the problem?

You could also take the car to Toyota. they should be able to solve as well.

If you lived near Albany, NY, I would have recommended a dealer, and my parts guy could get you OEM parts.

Sorry we couldn't help.

moe,

Are you loosing coolant? If so you could have a leaking head gasket or worse yet a cracked block. Both of those conditions can lead to overheating if enough coolant is getting into the cylinders. Did the garage pressure test your cooling system? If the system can't maintain pressure then your coolant can boil causing overheating. You might want to replace your radiator cap since it's cheap. Is your radiaor leaking, blocked etc. There are many possibilities but as UCF3 mentioned it's hard to diagnose a problem over the internet. We can only make suggestions.

:)

Before you left this dealership, did you ask them for an itemized estimate on this repair. I hope your right about the reservoir, and I would think about replacing the water pump. It's the most likely item to go bad in the near future, just like your steering wheel pump, scerpentine belt, timing belt and other hoses. Batt too.

UCF3,

YOU DA' MAN!!

:D