How To Remove Glove Compartment

• 3 months later...
Anyone can describe in detail how to remove the Glove compartment from GS 300 model 2006? Thanks.

curious, is this to fix the damper door that may have been broken, changing out the cabin filter? I just picked up a CPO and my damper door seems to rotate freely back and forth, it does not change positions when I set the recirculate switch and turn the car off and then open the cabin filter door.. its easy enough to replace the filter and just move it back to the closed position, but does anyone know what it does or impacts and how is it repaired if it is an issue. The AC and all the vents and features seem to work just fine.. but then I bough it that way so dont know any different. Guess I could compare to a new vehicle.

curious, is this to fix the damper door that may have been broken, changing out the cabin filter? I just picked up a CPO and my damper door seems to rotate freely back and forth, it does not change positions when I set the recirculate switch and turn the car off and then open the cabin filter door.. its easy enough to replace the filter and just move it back to the closed position, but does anyone know what it does or impacts and how is it repaired if it is an issue. The AC and all the vents and features seem to work just fine.. but then I bough it that way so dont know any different. Guess I could compare to a new vehicle.

The recir have to be in a certain position when you change the HVAC filter, It states that in the manual. Many owners have replace the HVAC filter without setting the recir mode to the proper position which will result in breaking the recire damper. I last tome I check, to fix that recir damper was a $1600 job if you go to the dealer.

The recir have to be in a certain position when you change the HVAC filter, It states that in the manual. Many owners have replace the HVAC filter without setting the recir mode to the proper position which will result in breaking the recire damper. I last tome I check, to fix that recir damper was a $1600 job if you go to the dealer.

understood, I guess my question was really, so what doesn't work when the damper is broken? I have yet to find a definitive explination... it all seems to work just perfectly.. but then I have not compared it to one with a non-broken damper. All of the settings seemto work, the air is forced just fine the outside air comes in fine, seems to shut off the outside air and recirc when I set it to that, heat, ac all seems to be perfect, but that damper door doesn't do anything.. is it just for the air purification setting or something?

Thanks for input

CMasten

That damper is the recir damper, it should open and close when you push the recir button.

ok that seemed like the logical explanation as setting that flipped it up in the first place. I guess I can live without Recirc in So Cal for 1600.000

Thanks for the input

CMasten

That damper is the recir damper, it should open and close when you push the recir button.

ok that seemed like the logical explanation as setting that flipped it up in the first place. I guess I can live without Recirc in So Cal for 1600.000

Thanks for the input

CMasten

I think I have this figured out.

The damper door that breaks when the cabin filter is replaced without the "procedure" being done correctly (hitting recirc and shutting the car off to open this damper door) seems to only be used when I use the "smog" filter feature.. The one that filters out the internal car air for about 3min and then goes into auto. If there are any Lexus mechanics up here maybe you can validate this for me.

I am not sure if this is the same on all models, I have a 06 GS. But when I take the access door off in the glove box, to get to the filter and then adjust for Fresh, Recirc and Smog, its clear that the filter isnt even used in Recirc mode, it seems to pull the air in from the floors or elsewhere in the dash and only in freshl air and smog mode does it pull through the ac cabin filter.

In my case I have been wondering if getting this fixed was necessary.. based on what I have tested and seen I dont think so.. I dont use the smog feature and I live in LA... if the filter is engaged for fresh and that is 99.9% of what I use then its filtered anyways.

I hope my assumption is right.. I dont want to spend a small fortune on fixing this.

CMasten

I would not fix it for that kind of money, its just another bad design from lexus.

I just got the CD service manual to see all the parts that go into the glove box and taking it out.. ok now I can see why its so expensive you have to rip a whole lot of stuff out...

I was able to take the lower panel off just below the passenger knee airbag and ... out falls the lever that moves the recir air damper door open and shut.. and it broke off at the damper part so... no replacing just this smaller part... talk about a crappy design... as it turns out the damper door is used a lot as the system needs to adjust it between fresh and recirc air. I was hoping it was s simple fix, but from the directions on how to replace it.. Ill leave it alone. In fact I dont even want the dealer taking this car apart to fix just this.. Ill live with fresh filtered air I guess and can always just leave the small panel for the filter access out and quickly just flip the damper door in the glove box to recir if I absolutely need to. The glove box is a nightmare to remove in the 06 and up GS..

• 6 years later...

I would not fix it for that kind of money, its just another bad design from lexus.

I just got the CD service manual to see all the parts that go into the glove box and taking it out.. ok now I can see why its so expensive you have to rip a whole lot of stuff out...

I was able to take the lower panel off just below the passenger knee airbag and ... out falls the lever that moves the recir air damper door open and shut.. and it broke off at the damper part so... no replacing just this smaller part... talk about a crappy design... as it turns out the damper door is used a lot as the system needs to adjust it between fresh and recirc air. I was hoping it was s simple fix, but from the directions on how to replace it.. Ill leave it alone. In fact I dont even want the dealer taking this car apart to fix just this.. Ill live with fresh filtered air I guess and can always just leave the small panel for the filter access out and quickly just flip the damper door in the glove box to recir if I absolutely need to. The glove box is a nightmare to remove in the 06 and up GS..

i have to replace the A/c amplifier on my 06 s300. i need to get the glove box out. can you give me a few tips. i cannot find any instructions on removing it. thanks.