Engine Cleaning

Happy 2004 to all!

Has anyone ever steam cleaned the engine compartment of a Sc 300\400...If so

1. How much did it cost?

2. Were you happy with the outcome?

3. Would you do it again?

4. Do you have a picture of a Before\After?

Any suggestion on this topic would be appreciated Thanks!

The last time I had my car steam cleaned, it cost me $90, but they did such a good job, non of the stickers were legible. So this time I decided to clean it myself, and I did a good job.

Check it out

Eng2.thumb.jpg

Eng1.sized.jpg

ucf3,

VERY VERY NICE  :D

What type(s) of cleaner(s)  did YOU use?

Simply Green. My friends like using Orange Blast. The picture doesn't do justice, but I'm thinking about wiping down the plastic parts with some Armor All.

How about my SC400 ....

01-engine.jpg

The guy that I bought it from had steam cleaned it and treated the plastic with something or other. It sure looks nice but I had to replace all the plugs (engine was missing badly from NY to Columbus,OH) and I had to replace the wires, distributor caps and rotors when the car arrived in Hawaii. If he had run the engine after cleaning to dry out the motor everything would have been fine. Anyway, the engine compartment and motor still looks like that almost 13K miles later. I use a Turtlewax product called 2001 Super Protectant with Sun Stop to keep all the plastic and rubber looking nice. I also use it inside the car on the dash, seats, doors etc.

protectants.jpg

:)

K9,

THE ENGINE IS STUNNING... :o :D

Where'd you get the goods; and does it specifically say for "under the hood" & such?

& UCF3,

You know, our silly little LS's have the huge plastic intake and engine covers, so its really pleasing to see more of the aluminum & such...ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S WELL KEPT - GOOD JOB GUYS!!

Thanks!! I buy the Turtlewax 2001 from Checkers. It doesn't specifically mention using it under the hood but I've used it for a few years now with good results. It's supposed to have anti-static properties which results in less dirt build up ... that's the theory anyway ... I just like the way it makes everything shiny!! :D

How about my SC400 ....

The guy that I bought it from had steam cleaned it and treated the plastic with something or other.  It sure looks nice but I had to replace all the plugs (engine was missing badly from NY to Columbus,OH) and I had to replace the wires, distributor caps and rotors when the car arrived in Hawaii.  If he had run the engine after cleaning to dry out the motor everything would have been fine.  Anyway, the engine compartment and motor still looks like that almost 13K miles later.  I use a Turtlewax product called 2001 Super Protectant with Sun Stop to keep all the plastic and rubber looking nice.  I also use it inside the car on the dash, seats, doors etc.

Hey you cheated. You oiled your hoses and everything. I think you forgot to oil a spot on your upper radiator hose :lol:

I always wash the motor with Gunk or other engine cleaners and then start the motor right away to evaporate some of the water. Try and cover your distributor and other sensitive components with tin foil (because you can form it easily). You may not want to do this in your own driveway because of the dirt and grease you will have to clean up afterward and if keeps the little lady happier.

BTW, I don't shine my motor up but you guys have done a great job on yours.

Wick

Hey you cheated. You oiled your hoses and everything. I think you forgot to oil a spot on your upper radiator hose.

Actually, the guy I bought the car from "missed a spot" since he took that picture! So you're right ... I am cheating ... I'm showing my engine having been cleaned by someone else! :D However, that spot is now shiny like everything else since I'm now the owner. I guess I'll just have to take another picture! ;)

& UCF3,

You know,  our silly little LS's have the huge plastic intake and engine covers, so its really pleasing to see more of the aluminum & such...ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S WELL KEPT - GOOD JOB GUYS!!

I hear ya. That's why it took me so little time to clean. <_< Did I mention, i didn't have to cover up anything? :blink::lol:

...sure looks nice but I had to replace all the plugs (engine was missing badly from NY to Columbus,OH) and I had to replace the wires, distributor caps and rotors)

DO NOT STEAM CLEAN YOUR ENGINES. Yes, I am yelling, sorry. You are setting yourself up for total, expensive nightmares. You better do so more searching on this and other Lexus/Supra forums. There tons of nightmare stories of totally screwed electronics causing expensive damage to these (SC3/4) engines. Mis-firing, water in plug wire holes shorting out expesive cables and on and on. Do the search!

Don't listen to this, at least half of you will be kicking yourself. Would you steam clean your TV or stereo, even after protecting everything with plastic? Do not do it to these engines. If you've done it and gotten away with it you are freaking lucky, keep at it and you'll join the never again crowd.

ok, back to normal, sorry about the rant. :chairshot:

...sure looks nice but I had to replace all the plugs (engine was missing badly from NY to Columbus,OH) and I had to replace the wires, distributor caps and rotors)

DO NOT STEAM CLEAN YOUR ENGINES. Yes, I am yelling, sorry. You are setting yourself up for total, expensive nightmares. You better do so more searching on this and other Lexus/Supra forums. There tons of nightmare stories of totally screwed electronics causing expensive damage to these (SC3/4) engines. Mis-firing, water in plug wire holes shorting out expesive cables and on and on. Do the search!

Don't listen to this, at least half of you will be kicking yourself. Would you steam clean your TV or stereo, even after protecting everything with plastic? Do not do it to these engines. If you've done it and gotten away with it you are freaking lucky, keep at it and you'll join the never again crowd.

ok, back to normal, sorry about the rant.:chairshot:

Well, I covered up my distributor, battery terminals and sensors with plastic bag, and rubberbands.

That prevents replacing certain hoses and sensors.

My sc4...

MAN, that is one beautiful engine. I think I'll oil the plastics in my engine.

BTW, hey Lex:

Have you two-toned your taillights on either of your SCs?