Things You Can Do To Prevent Transmission Failure?

redlikemethodz

ANYTIME I buy a used car, the first thing I do is to go through it and change every fluid from the front to the back, top to bottom, even the windshield washer reservoir. I don't know if you can prevent tranny failure but it makes good sense to change out the ATF in a high mileage vehicle. So, the answer is, yes, do a flush.

No please no flush, Have the pan dropped and check the filter, if it is a paper one replace it and always use Toyota Type IV fluid or Mobil 3309, or Amsoil fluid... Here is a great post on how to do it with lots of feedback:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-foru...ter-change.html

I bought my 01' Rx last year with 75K on it, and i just got the tranny changed with 92K. The warranty company(Continental) didnt want to cover it but Lexus talked them into. I've read from a lot of guys on here that Transmission failure is just a matter of time. I'm considering installing a cooler on my new tranny. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Take a look at some of the threads on this subject. I believe lenore has a recent one with pictures of the part that is assumed to be causing the premature failures.

That would be more of a bad-design/weak-part mechanical failure and not fluid temp/breakdown problem.

It is possible you have a tranny cooler if your RX has the tow prep package. Tow prep is fairly common.

I bought my 01' Rx last year with 75K on it, and i just got the tranny changed with 92K. The warranty company(Continental) didnt want to cover it but Lexus talked them into. I've read from a lot of guys on here that Transmission failure is just a matter of time. I'm considering installing a cooler on my new tranny. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts?

The 01 already has 2 coolers. One is located in the fender well, visible through the louvers in the fender well liner. The other one is on the bottom of the radiator, a little more difficult to see but follow the trans fluid lines to see.

Billy I'd heard that before that our transmissions have a poor design that leads to failure. The gear carrier is made of aluminum or something like that. Mike are you saying that even if I dont have the tow package that I still have a tranny cooler?

Not sure about that. But are you sure you don't have the towing prep package? It was standard equipment in 2001 for AWD and possibly FWD.

Billy I'd heard that before that our transmissions have a poor design that leads to failure. The gear carrier is made of aluminum or something like that. Mike are you saying that even if I dont have the tow package that I still have a tranny cooler?

Not sure about that. But are you sure you don't have the towing prep package? It was standard equipment in 2001 for AWD and possibly FWD.

I have a '99 RX300 AWD. The manual says nothing about transmission cooler or trailer prep package.

Just take a look in front of the right wheel well, if you have vents there, and you can see if there is a tranny cooler thru the vents. Also in the engine compartment on the bottom of the frame you will see hoses (transmission lines going to the right side of the car under the radiator. Another place to look is through the hole in the bumper under the right headlight. You will see the windshield washer resevoir, but behind it you can see the tranny cooler.

I recently bought a 99 RX 300 with 143K miles. I noticed it's struggling to shift. Are there things I can do to improve the transmission's condition or is it just a matter of time before it will fail? Should I flush the transmission fluid?

Thanks

No flush as has been suggested. You could add an inline filter and/or bump up the fluid changes.

The inherent prob in the older RX is that the tranny is basically straight out of the Camry. The added weight of the RX without accompanying mods to the tranny led to more stress than it was designed to handle. Not only did Lexus know about this after the first couple of years and not admit to it, they continued prod with the same design flaw for the duration of the 1st series and into the second. As much as you want to enjoy the car in the many ways inherent for this class of vehicle, I would not haul anything behind the RX1/2 and would limit brisk acceleration if you want to avoid the probs. I would also avoid putting down the hammer from a trailing throttle and come to complete stops when stopping or at least giving the tranny time to downshift before getting back on the pedal.

Just take a look in front of the right wheel well, if you have vents there, and you can see if there is a tranny cooler thru the vents. Also in the engine compartment on the bottom of the frame you will see hoses (transmission lines going to the right side of the car under the radiator. Another place to look is through the hole in the bumper under the right headlight. You will see the windshield washer resevoir, but behind it you can see the tranny cooler.

Lenore: when you write ... the 'right side' of the car, do you mean passenger side?

The Number One thing you can do to prevent RX300 transmission failure?

Do what a lot of us have already done with our 1999 and 2000 models - sell it ....

You are sooooo right. I'm just waiting for the $4,500 Obama grant for 10-year-old car replacement to be announced, then- if, as and when - it would kick in for in Aug. 2009 (my RX is an Aug'99 model). until then, my method is to drive carefully and cross fingers...

Lenore: when you write ... the 'right side' of the car, do you mean passenger side?

Yes, passenger side, starboard side (old navy guy) side where my wife tells me my driving sucks,,,,just kidding....

Yes, passenger side, starboard side (old navy guy) side where my wife tells me my driving sucks,,,,just kidding....

I'll check starboard... I doubt that my 99RX300 AWD has the 'trailer package' and the transmission cooler. but it would be a good surprise if it did [though it would mean all AWDs have it and that does not prevent tranny pbs.] Thank you!