2010 Rx Showing

Has anyone attended one of the 2010RX showings which Lexus is holding at various hotels across the country? I know it is a subjective question, but was it of interest and worth your time attending? What did it consist of? Did it include the hybrid? The one I am invited to is at the Beverly Hilton. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I got an invitation to attend on Feb. 24th at my local Lexus dealer for 2010 RX arrival...they said it's gonna have some live music and refreshments...other than that...I have never attended a Lexus party before. And no, this is only for the 2010 RX350, the Hybrid 450h will be showcased around April.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the preview 2 weeks ago and was unimpressed with the new rx450h styling. The nav system/climate control will take both your eyes off the road as you try to maneuver the cursor on the display screen, which is set deep in the dash. the vehicle was a disappointment.

It makes my 2007 RX400h look like a keeper as I spring for the coastale ultimate 3 nav override.

I have a 2006 400h and I just went in for my 35K riggamaroll (2-18-09) and they had a 2010 Rx non hybrid in their gorgeous showroom. It had few things that I did like. The one thing was the fact that the back wiper is at the top and hidden under the air foil. Very cool. The shape of the car was OK but I do feel that ours is nicer still. It had some nice chrome trim that I always like on cars but overall it was fine but I was happy to drive off with mine later. The nav looks great where it's at, set deep towards the leading edge of the windshield but as was mentioned, it is out of reach so that you have a joy stick on your center console that you have to move around which I wouldn't think you could operate when driving. I often times tap my screen as I'm driving...from map to info screen, etc, without any danger or problem. This wouldn't be the case with the joy stick. Anyway, other than that, we are all fine with our "Old" Rxs. I was surprised to see this new car on the Good Year Eagle S/A s though...I thought after all of the hoopla about how bad they were that they would have opted to get rid of those terrible tires. They had some RXs ,08s mainly, on not only Michelin but also Bridgestones. Happy trails, Rey Bustos in sunny L.A. (yes, even in February!)

I attended the preview 2 weeks ago and was unimpressed with the new rx450h styling. The nav system/climate control will take both your eyes off the road as you try to maneuver the cursor on the display screen, which is set deep in the dash. the vehicle was a disappointment.

It makes my 2007 RX400h look like a keeper as I spring for the coastale ultimate 3 nav override.

you'll love the lockpick 3, i have the basic and it makes all the difference in the world!

sad to hear the rx450h was a disappointment, oh well

Oh, that's good to hear because I did like the feel of that gizmo as I sat in the car but the car was in the showroom so the opinion about not being able to work the joy stick and drive was presumptuous on my part. I did love the look of the screen set so far into the dash. Anyway, Lexus is a great car maker no matter what. Rey

I tried the new Rx, albeit a non hybrid version. Here some of my impressions:

-Exterior, design wise, it starts to grow on me.. I still prefer the 2nd gen RX though. Some clever details; I like the new mirrors and their placement, I like the hidden rear wiper, although wonder how to change it, I like the keyless entry

-Trunk: wider loading areas, but no more little compartments underneath, no easy way of keeping grocery bags or similar right up. Hatch opens a bit higher than previous, but still to low for me (6.3), easy handle to flatten rear seats.

-back seats: noticeably more legroom. 2 dvd screens seem a bit to much to me, I prefer 1 roof mounted screen.

-Drivers seat: even more comfortable than 2nd gen RX, cooled seats are a nice touch, dash is nice, navi screen is better placed, the control thing is easy to use, much better than I thought, one large centre armrest with deep bin underneath. I did pinch my fingers badly while moving the arm rest forward, so watch out! Shift stick is hiding heating controls when in P, heating controls are a bit random, no logic there, interior color schemes are as before, and personally I think they are very ugly.. The only combinations acceptable for me are al black with darkwood or what I currently have grey with black wood, if only Lexus would offer a choice of wood replacements, like brushed metal or full leather or piano finish or just a more modern type of wood...

Nav is much better, voice control is usable now.

Drive: nice, a little bit more sportier than before, a bit better in the corners, a bit faster, less noise.

All in all small improvements, nothing dramatic.

O yes, the new red is nice!

My 2 favorite things for the 2010 RX hybrid are:

SKS ! ! ! OMG, it's about time! Thankyou Lexus for FINALLY getting with the program ... what - SIX years after Toyota was already using smart entry/ignition technology in the Prius :P holy molie.

More efficient ICE ! !

Like the Prius, Lexus is finally using the Atkinson type engine, for better FE and emissions control.

Oh, that's good to hear because I did like the feel of that gizmo as I sat in the car but the car was in the showroom so the opinion about not being able to work the joy stick and drive was presumptuous on my part. I did love the look of the screen set so far into the dash. Anyway, Lexus is a great car maker no matter what. Rey

Just an interesting tech tidbit, the screen is OLED too, first ever application in a car.

I'm going to add my feminine opinion to this. I love the new features with the navigation, lights, etc., but the doors seem huge. They go much lower and seem heavier, the back hatch opens more, but I would have trouble in my garage with it touching the top and then coming down. I think the configuration in front of the console (where there used to be a hole) with the hole underneath is inconvenient. You could put garbage there (and never clean it out except when you brought it to the dealer and they did it!) or a tissue box, but there is no place to put your handbag!!!

If you've experienced the heated/cooled seats on another Lexus, they are great if you don't really want the seat to get hot. That's fine with me, but my sons miss the heat from the old RX and RX400h. The cooled part is terrific in the heat.

Ironically, I looked at the car and was prepared to think about switching my current RX400h which I'm not in love with, and I left thinking I don't know if I really want this new RX. It almost looks (on the outside) too much like the Venza, the Mazda 9, and features of the Highlander. Hmm...