New Transmission Mount Fixes Vibration Issue!

Marklouis

It's really hard for me to believe that small rear tranny mount aleviated the vibration issue i was having, but it transformed my LS400 from an unbalanced washing machine set on spin to a smooth glass perfect still lake through all the gears! next is all the engine mounts that i noticed were cracking also, i just cant imagine this car riding any smoother now - this is where the part can be purchases for a 95 ls400 - should work on the 96,97 as well i think?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

Very easy to replace, 4x12MM nuts, 4x12MM bolts, 4x14MM bolts-a few turns of the ratchet and your done! just make sure you support the tranny snug with a jack as you are changing it out.

Thanks to all you LS lovers for the postings and advice! will post results of the replacement of the engine mounts next.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Seems like all of the rubber bits on the LS400 don't have a longer life than those of any other car (although on pretty much any car, rubber bits are toast at 13 years old).

I have 196k miles on the car - and yes, the poly-rubber type material manufactured at the time was pretty generic stuff, so 10 to 15 years is tops for the life of the material. So my LS is going to have a total poly-rubber-rejuvination experience this year! im replacing those ever pesky shock-bumps as well - to rid of that clunk on bumps syndrome. ;)

Out of curiosity, did the car also have a vibration that could be felt through the steering wheel like if the car was stopped and the car was in park? Mine has a vibration below 45 mph and on certain roads and if the car is idling and I am stopped, I can feel it through the steering wheel. My car is a 1991 and has nearly 220K, so I know the engine mounts are toast, but wondering if I can get by with just the transmission mount for now, since its cheaper and easier. Maybe I can get lucky enough that this is most of my problem.

It's really hard for me to believe that small rear tranny mount aleviated the vibration issue i was having, but it transformed my LS400 from an unbalanced washing machine set on spin to a smooth glass perfect still lake through all the gears!

I know. I guess they used different mount material on the older cars. I have had alot of early 70s General Motors cars and still have two and I have never had an engine vibration issue, nor do I with my current 72' Chevrolet and 73' Pontiac. Also I have a 1988 Mercedes and the engine is smooth as silk... cannot even feel it running and I know the mounts are original. I guess it varies from car to car.

Seems like all of the rubber bits on the LS400 don't have a longer life than those of any other car (although on pretty much any car, rubber bits are toast at 13 years old).

Out of curiosity, did the car also have a vibration that could be felt through the steering wheel like if the car was stopped and the car was in park? Mine has a vibration below 45 mph and on certain roads and if the car is idling and I am stopped, I can feel it through the steering wheel. My car is a 1991 and has nearly 220K, so I know the engine mounts are toast, but wondering if I can get by with just the transmission mount for now, since its cheaper and easier. Maybe I can get lucky enough that this is most of my problem.

yes, what you describe was my issue. i still feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel while idling, which im sure replacing the rest of the mounts should take care of that. ;) make sure and post the results!!

yes, what you describe was my issue. i still feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel while idling, which im sure replacing the rest of the mounts should take care of that. ;) make sure and post the results!!

Thanks - please do. I had been wondering if my transmission mount would cause most of my vibration problems and have hoped, since its cheaper and easier than the engine mounts. Strange, but the colder it is out, the less mine vibrates. It has gotten progressively worse since I bought the car when it had 204K. It has nearly 220K now. I took it to the Lexus dealer about 8K ago and they said it was my tires, but why would my tires cause a vibration through the steering wheel when the car is stopped? <_< One guy at the service desk said the mounts rarely go bad on these when I suggested it was the mounts causing it... yeah right.

How many miles do you have on the car?

I have 196k miles on the car - and yes, the poly-rubber type material manufactured at the time was pretty generic stuff, so 10 to 15 years is tops for the life of the material. So my LS is going to have a total poly-rubber-rejuvination experience this year! im replacing those ever pesky shock-bumps as well - to rid of that clunk on bumps syndrome. ;)

What do you mean by "shock-bumps"? The upper shock mount? I just ordered a couple of those, but I didn't know if there was another part I also need to replace.

Thanks!

Thanks - please do. I had been wondering if my transmission mount would cause most of my vibration problems and have hoped, since its cheaper and easier than the engine mounts. Strange, but the colder it is out, the less mine vibrates. It has gotten progressively worse since I bought the car when it had 204K. It has nearly 220K now. I took it to the Lexus dealer about 8K ago and they said it was my tires, but why would my tires cause a vibration through the steering wheel when the car is stopped? <_< One guy at the service desk said the mounts rarely go bad on these when I suggested it was the mounts causing it... yeah right.

I would suggest to anyone with an LS over 10 years of age to just replace the rear transmission mount, its a cheap and easy PM item. Mine also had less vibration in colder weather - and it did get worse as time progressed.let me tell you, when i dropped my old mount out, it was actually seperated from its mating piece, which translates into my transmission rear wasnt even attached - just resting on it. i dont even ask guys at the Lexus Service anymore, i just search for the answer here or post for it. everyone here is most knowledgeable through hands on experience with thier Lexus-and you just cant find a better support group...

...unless your an alcoholic of course! ;)

Cheers! :cheers:

What do you mean by "shock-bumps"? The upper shock mount? I just ordered a couple of those, but I didn't know if there was another part I also need to replace.

Thanks!

I meant to say "shock bump stops", as described by another member here - i believe its # 5 in this illustration:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

someone correct me if im wrong here. ;)