How To Remove Dvd From Mark Levinson Navigation

Lexus GS 300, model year 2006 has Mark Levinson navigation system. Audio DVD was inserted by mistake into the navigation slot. The MENU button does not function; According to dealer the Eject function is written into the Navigation disc. As a result I can't get the Map DVD screen to access the DVD eject switch. How can I eject the audio DVD from the navigation slot? Dealer says navigation DVD player must be removed and sent to Denso for removal. Does anyone now a better way? Also detailed procedure how to remove the navigation player (located in the glove compartment) will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Cannot be helpful on removing the unit from your car. Really, at this point, you just need to break out your tools and get to removing that unit.

I have had my Gen 4 Nav drive apart and it was not that big of a deal. Maybe 6 screws on the bottom to open the box up. Once inside, just tinker around with the drive. If I remember correctly, there is a worm gear mechanism you can gently rotate by finger to manually roll the dvd out.

Just be gentle and you can get it done. Also, keep your digits off the electronics and be sure you are grounded to the case of the drive so you don't static-charge any components to death.

Good Luck man.

Is there a manual eject like a computer CD drive?

I don't know how his is configured, GMan. Apparently he has a soft button on the MFD to eject the disc.

Both of my RX's with Nav had a drive in the back and you slid a little lever over to eject the disc...

post-84496-1233763314_thumb.jpg

No, there is not a manual eject.

The problem now is to remove the glove compartment. The navigation drive unit is above it. I tried and could make it loose on the right side but on the left side it is holding and the fasteners or latches are hidden and I can't get to it.

• 1 month later...

Josef2,

any progress?

you're not alone on this one, just got the call from dealership that my "non navigation dvd" is stuck in the drive as well. after looking at it for 2 days the technicians say the only solution is to replace the drive. $3000.00

figure I'll get a 2nd opinion from a 3rd party installer, but suspect that I'll just end up trying to do it myself as well.

i'm not SO surprised that there isn't a manual eject option for the drive (like on a pc drive), but I have to assume there's a motor that can be rotated as BillyShaft mentioned.

Josef2,

any progress?

you're not alone on this one, just got the call from dealership that my "non navigation dvd" is stuck in the drive as well. after looking at it for 2 days the technicians say the only solution is to replace the drive. $3000.00

figure I'll get a 2nd opinion from a 3rd party installer, but suspect that I'll just end up trying to do it myself as well.

i'm not SO surprised that there isn't a manual eject option for the drive (like on a pc drive), but I have to assume there's a motor that can be rotated as BillyShaft mentioned.

I'm watching this one closely, hoping that somebody comes up with a solution.

Stan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

go to service mode:

I have GS350, wrong disc ejected (screen was blank, only error was displayed)

This one can't help when you see "Cannot read the program, please see the dealer" and "some Japanese language". But there is a fix that I discovered on some other site.

Press Menu button (even you see "Cannot read the program, please see the dealer") Then on the screen with ("Cannot read the program, please see the dealer") hit upper screen corner, the place where "DVD Map" button suppose to be, it will not be there, just hit the spot. Then hit the bottom left corner of the same screen the place where "Eject DVD" button suppose to be. And the magic happens (at least it happened on my) disk ejects. I did it with engine running, and not sure if ignition only is enough. Use your DVD NAV users guide if you don't remember the location of soft buttons, I just visualized where they should be and it worked fine.

I'm gonna call Lexus dealer here in Tampa (Dale Mabry) and laugh at the service guy who said it's not possible to eject the disk and gave me a quote for $3596 to replace the navigation unit. What a ripoff!!!

• 1 month later...

I just replaced the DVD in my 2002 LX470.

It was on sale at the Dealer for $199.00 plus tax.

Had trouble getting the old dvd out but kept moving the switch back and forth until it spit the old dvd out. The new DVD loaded in a few minutes and seems to work just fine.

:D

I had an experience with a CD player (installed backwards) in my Cadillac. It was jammed. I kept at it until it gave up!

• 1 month later...

I got a similar resolution to this. After getting the car serviced at another dealership (the first dealership was still telling me I'd need to replace the nav system for $3000), I asked for a new dvd (on sale for $150?), and they just switched it out. Now it works and they didn't mention any problems with removing the bad one. Not sure how they got it out but it was done in an hour. I wish there was a clearer answer to this problem, but there you go.

• 6 years later...