Power Steering

My Lexus GS300 2006 has only 13500 miles. I was backing up into my garage when the Power Steering stopped working. There was no any unusual noise or anything unusual, no oil under the car. Just steering is hard without power. Any idea what should I check before going to a shop? I shipped the car to Europe and no warranty can be claimed here.

I agree, check the fuse. Location is in the described/discussed in the owners manual.

Also, please see the thread about the 2006 2007 GS recall. The electric power steering units are being replaced on many vehicles. You may have one of the faulty ones.

Given that the car is now in Europe, hope for the fuse.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...
My Lexus GS300 2006 has only 13500 miles. I was backing up into my garage when the Power Steering stopped working. There was no any unusual noise or anything unusual, no oil under the car. Just steering is hard without power. Any idea what should I check before going to a shop? I shipped the car to Europe and no warranty can be claimed here.

Recall on the Power Steering Link.

I just had mine done. 9LC

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Josef,

this is your lucky day! just today i received the following information in my inbox regarding your power steering issue. i have an 06 gs 300 rwd, and i have never experienced this, read, or heard till today:

SERVICE BULLETIN:SSC-9-LC NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10028182

MFG Bulletin Date: 20090116

Component: STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM

Bulletin Summary: LEXUS: ELECTRIC POWER STEERING LINK ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT. VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE NOTICEABLE GRADUAL INCREASE IN STEERING EFFORT NECESSARY AT LOW SPEEDS WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL TO COMPLETE LEFT OR RIGHT POSITION. CSC LETTER WAS REC

Date added to datbase: 20090312

contact your dealership and let them know about this bulletin and they should be able to help you out!

Good luck,

Ali