Trunk Lid Opener Problem

925benjie

I went to the store the other day and bought some expensive stuff and put them in the trunk of my car('90 LS 400). Before i left my car at another store's parking lot, i turned off the trunk lid opener system inside the car by inserting the car key inside the trunk lid opener switch and pushed it in ( located under the dashboard on the left side of the driver's side) so that the trunk cannot be opened from the inside since the lever cannot be pulled. Protect the valuables, right?. Well, now i am unable to unlock the trunk lid 0pener inside the car. I tried inserting the key inside the trunk lid opener switch but would not turn either way. The only way i can open the trunk is by going outside the car and using the key. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i guess the locking mechanism has stuck while you insert the key and push it in to lock. in my car, i dont need the key to lock, just push it in to lock. insert the key only when I unlock it

i dont know, maybe you may try using a screw driver handle to gently tap it. it may release if you are lucky :)

Let's see..... you can open the trunk outside with the key but not unlock inside? Hmm.... that doesn't sound like a master key vs valet key issue then. Interesting. Have you tried another key? It doesn't take a key to activate it by the way, you just push it in.

i guess the locking mechanism has stuck while you insert the key and push it in to lock. in my car, i dont need the key to lock, just push it in to lock. insert the key only when I unlock it

i dont know, maybe you may try using a screw driver handle to gently tap it. it may release if you are lucky :)

Thought i need the key to activate the lock, my mistake, i never used it before. I will try your idea tomorrow and see. Thanks.

Let's see..... you can open the trunk outside with the key but not unlock inside? Hmm.... that doesn't sound like a master key vs valet key issue then. Interesting. Have you tried another key? It doesn't take a key to activate it by the way, you just push it in.

You're right, did'nt need the key to activate. I will also try another key. Thanks.

Found some related topics under "trunk wiring" and most of them involved the key. So when i got home from work, i took 2 of my spare keys, tried one and it did'nt work, took the second one and lo and behold--IT WORKED. Thanks for the suggestions.

When I bought my car the previous owner told me she pushed that button in one day thinking it would open the trunk on accident and it never came back out. So I tried putting the key in and unlocking it but the key doesn't turn. I'm assuming you need a master key to open it and all I received with the car is a valet key.

Is there any other way to unlock that switch without having the master key for the car? It'd be nice to be able to open my trunk without having to turn my car off, get out and use my key to open it.

Sorry for the hijack, but it seems you have found your solution and I thought this would be a good time to ask.

When I bought my car the previous owner told me she pushed that button in one day thinking it would open the trunk on accident and it never came back out. So I tried putting the key in and unlocking it but the key doesn't turn. I'm assuming you need a master key to open it and all I received with the car is a valet key.

Is there any other way to unlock that switch without having the master key for the car? It'd be nice to be able to open my trunk without having to turn my car off, get out and use my key to open it.

Sorry for the hijack, but it seems you have found your solution and I thought this would be a good time to ask.

I know what you mean newguy19. In my case, the master key did not work so i tried the duplicate spare keys (thinner ones) and like i said it worked. The only thing i noticed is when i compared the master key and the spare(duplicate) , the master key's inside edges are somewhat worn out and the duplicate spare key edges are still well defined. Maybe that's the reason my master key would not go in all the way inside the master switch and not turn but the spare went in smoothly, turned it counterclockwise and it popped right up. I know Lexus duplicate key is not cheap, so good luck.

I know what you mean newguy19. In my case, the master key did not work so i tried the duplicate spare keys (thinner ones) and like i said it worked. The only thing i noticed is when i compared the master key and the spare(duplicate) , the master key's inside edges are somewhat worn out and the duplicate spare key edges are still well defined. Maybe that's the reason my master key would not go in all the way inside the master switch and not turn but the spare went in smoothly, turned it counterclockwise and it popped right up. I know Lexus duplicate key is not cheap, so good luck.