Castrol Edge Synthetic Oil

Lexusfreak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my story why I use Amsoil, I would like to say that you can use any oil your heart desires.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......... oops sorry, wrong story.

I've used Amsoil since 1985 in a variety of cars. Everytime I would use any other oil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol etc.. my car would need some oil by the time 3,000 miles came around. With Amsoil never did I have to add a drop.

My last car was a Celica GTS, I tried Mobil 1 just to save the time of ordering through the mail and lo and behold , 1 quart at 3,000 miles. Went back to Amsoil and no more problems.

I would go 9,000 miles or one year(I don't drive that much), with a filter change every 3,000. Never had any problems.

So I'm sticking with what works for me.

Hi JEN...

Two things, one - and engine that is using a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, in my opinion, most likely has some kind of mechanical issue. Two - you changed the oil filter every 3,000 miles - why?

I don't have an answer why the the oil would be consumed. I did try it twice, going from Amsoil to Mobil 1 and back, and it was always the same story. Amsoil, no problem, Mobil, disappearing oil. The engine was fine, no problems with it.

I changed the filters because I got them at a good price (Napa Gold) and it took maybe 5 min. to do, so I figured why not. :)

I'm somewhat surpised by you R&B.

Now Smoothie, why in the world would I surprise you? :D

This is the web, everytime I log in it's like opening a new box of Cracker Jacks and finding the secret prize inside. It's always full of surprises and fun stuff. LOL!

As you've stated in previuos posts you want proof. Ok, show me any proof that going to the 25k mile drain intervals causes any more damage or wear and tear then if you did it at every 5k miles.

WOW!!! Smoothie, dang, I'm proud of you!! For this I'm awarding a Gold Metal!! Finally, someone has asked the obvious question!! Do 25,000 mile oil changes cause any more wear than 5,000 mile oil changes??

You have made my point and have stated what I've been saying all along..... WHERE'S THE PROOF???

Marketing hype and UOA testing does NOT provide proof. UOA testing can analyze the oil for "wear particles", but it CANNOT, or has not yet, correlate the PPM to some kind of actual data that X number of wear particles at XXX parts per million causes .xxxx amount of wear on the primary oil lubricated parts in an engine.

Proof = test data, real live, real world actual test data. Since Amsoil has been around for decades with their claims (which may be real), but why haven't they, for example, taken a few cars and performed a test like Consumer Reports did with 75 taxi cabs in New York City, only instead of running them 60,000 miles, tested them for 200,000 or 500,000 miles in actual typical daily driver conditions??

Blakes personal testamony isn't proof ? He just said, he does 25k mile or 1 year oil changes and has 175K miles on his car. And it runs perfect. And I thought that taxi cab test was done comparing a 60k mile single Amsoil oil change to 20 dino oil changes in the same period and mileage, and showed there was no "significant differences."

I know more people than I can name and count that all change thier oil at 25k mile intervals, and have never had a problem.

And, by contast to your experience, I don't know ANYONE who has or will go 25,000 miles on an oil change - with any kind of oil.

So you just don't beleive this. This is where your need for proof comes from. You just refuse to beleive it's possible?

Looking at it in perhaps overly simple terms - There are 2 main parts to the Synthetic vs Petroleum comparitive anlalysis.

1) actual LEVEL of protection under specific conditions 2) cost/performance ratio - extended mileage (does the extra cost for synthetic oil provide protection at 25,000 miles) . And, in my opinion, neither one has been proven satifactorily.

Wait, math has to be proven now to? From my math of what Blake put up, you would have to be buying Synthetic oil for $1.40 per quart, or about .85 cents for dino oil, and about $2 per filter on synthetic oil changes and around a 1.45 per filter with dino oil to match the prices Blake is getting right now. Not to mention that you had to do 5 oil changes to his 1 on Synthetic, and 8-9 in dino. That's not a good cost ratio? Ok, let's just cut it in half and do the math at 12.5K oil change intervals instead. Blake still comes out ahead, by about 30 bucks.

In terms of the use of either oil, the less tangible, unscientific, and perhaps more significant aspect is simply the "feelings", comfort, and personal experiences of the people you use synthetics over the people you don't. In other words, it costs more and the claims are better (25,000 mile gurantee), so therefore it must be better. Treating your vehicle "better" feels good to many... like frequently cleaning and waxing your vehicle.

Again, here I just leave it up to each individual to make thier own choices, seeing as how there are so many different ways to go. And so long as you follow the recommended oil change intervals, wether it be 3k, 5k, 10, 15k, or 25k miles, whatever works for you is great. Yes or no?

There is lots of "perception" and conjecture, for example blake918 said he got a 4% impovement in fuel economy when switching to synthetic oil. I track and record my fuel consumption EVERY tank in the Camry. It varies from tank to tank 4%. :P

blake918 is convinced he got an immediate benefit, and maybe he did. Is it perception or real??

And yet when presented with facts and truth(fact: Blake does his oil changes at 25k miles.Truth: His car has 175k miles on it and it's running just fine.) You choose to just overlook them? Is that your perception?

I am convinced that synthetic oil flows better at cold starts in very cold ambient temperatures. And, as I've stated I'd be using it if I lived in very cold climate - why?.... probably my "comfort factor". Would my decision to use synthetic oil vs dino oil be based on facts relative to actual engine wear due to oil protection..... NO.... I don't have any proof yet.

BUT... if we studied the vehicles driven in Minnesota and the vehicles in San Deigo, would we see a difference in engine life or longevity?

You already do, you just don't realize it yet. Remember when getting a motor to 100k miles pretty much meant the end of the life of that motor? If it even made it that long? Now 250k+ miles on a motor is growing more and more common. Better materials along with better fluids and lubricants have fostered that. Those are facts. Your IS transmission is sealed and doesn't even require transmission fluid changes anymore. Maybe their just using that same old transmission fluid from the 80's? Or maybe not. (hopefully not!) Maybe some day oil will be the same for motors? no more oil changes needed??? Maybe.

For me, the synth vs dino oil use continues to have more questions than answers. :huh:

blake...

Thank you for the bottle shot, now I'd like to see the "details" on the back of the bottle.

There are no additional details on the back other than the service intervals which are 25k miles for normal service, and 15k miles for heavy service (short trips, a lot of idling, etc.). I think we've already all agreed that if your car is still under warranty, you need to do whatever it takes to keep the warranty valid.
There is lots of "perception" and conjecture, for example blake918 said he got a 4% impovement in fuel economy when switching to synthetic oil. I track and record my fuel consumption EVERY tank in the Camry. It varies from tank to tank 4%. :P

blake918 is convinced he got an immediate benefit, and maybe he did.

I'm not talking about tank to tank; I should have better worded my original statement (although it probably wouldn't matter in this witch hunt anyway). I did a 95 mile test loop with the Mobile1 syn that was already in my car, and I went out and did the exact same 95 mile loop right after I put in the Amsoil. I don't know how much more objective it can get than that. My hwy mileage continues to be higher than it was before I switched. I made a point of checking my mileage before and after because Amsoil claimed better mpg, and their claim was accurate. So, yes, mathematical data has convinced me that I have benefited from switching.

I love how I'm one of the ones who is working off of conjecture, perception, and imagination when I have actually used the product we are discussing here. :huh:

Smooth, everything you wrote is all well and good, but did you forget that I (and anyone else who uses this oil) have something to gain by sharing the facts of this oil and getting people to join the Amsoil Cult?? LOL

When is the last time anyone here has seen a lubrication based failure caused by the lubricant itself when changed per recommendations?

It seems the endless search for yet another expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist is alive and well. :(

Superior lubrication is not the only reason people buy expensive motor oil. I HATE changing oil, and I don't trust anyone (quick lube) locally, nor am I going to drive 70 miles to pay Lexus $100 to change it for me. So, switching to Amsoil was an easy choice. Now, instead of changing the oil at least 5 times per year, I change it once. It is so nice. Also, my fuel economy has gone up 4%. I picked up an additional 1 mpg on the hwy after switching (yes, same driving style, speed, climate, traffic, terrain, octane, etc.). It saves money too. An oil change with Mobile 1 (and conventional oil is not much cheaper) cost me roughly $35 * 5 changes/year, so I would have spent $175/year on oil changes. Now, I spend $100/year on an Amsoil oil change. Saving time solves my problem. Saving money with improved fuel economy and less oil and filters to buy is just an added bonus. :)

I would strongly recommend against this practice with a Lexus still under warranty.

Yeah, while under warranty, but it appears he has a 1999 model Lexus and a 4 year old BMW.

Is there any auto manufacturer that recommends running oil beyond 7,500 miles??

BMW recommends 15,000 mile changes or one year, whichever comes first - they use synthetic only, incl. in a new car. The 'oil change/service indicator' usually recommends an oil change around 13-13.5K miles, however. Amazingly, this is from the get-go (zero miles). I have a 330 CiC, couldn't believe it and changed the oil after 1200 miles. Thereafter, once a year (approx. 5,000 miles for me).

I love how I'm one of the ones who is working off of conjecture, perception, and imagination when I have actually used the product we are discussing here. :huh:

Excellent point, blake918. I have never used Amsoil.

... sharing the facts of this oil and getting people to join the Amsoil Cult?? LOL

Gee, I think I'll get some Amsoil and try it!! :D I have never belonged to a cult, though. :o

I just called 7 Amsoil dealers that I got from the Amsoil website in a 50 mile radius from my zip code. Interesting... only one person answered the phone number. He was busy and has to call me back. 5 of the dealers I called didn't answer the phone and I had to leave a message. One of dealers listed didn't have a telephone listed.

I did get a call back from one "local dealer" about 30 minutes after leaving a voice message. He couldn't tell me a price for 7 quarts of 5W-30. He said he'd have to call me back??? :rolleyes:

First impression..... Customer Service sucks!! If I have to go through this much trouble to find out how to buy or determine my cost to get Amsoil from a "local dealer" .... I'll just stick with whatever I've using!!!!!!!!!!! ;) It's available at any auto store.... about 500 in a 50 mile radius from my zip code!!!!

Based on my income earnings, I just blew a twenty dollar bill just trying to BUY the damn stuff. :o

I don't think I'm a "cult" kinda guy!!! :P

Just buy it from the site here. Also, Central Auto Parts stores sell Amsoil.

Give it a try Randy, you might just like it.

The only thing that you may not like are the purple robes with gold frills and the chanting. :lol:

:lol: ! That's some funny stuff right there! Hahahaha...

I just called 7 Amsoil dealers that I got from the Amsoil website in a 50 mile radius from my zip code. Interesting... only one person answered the phone number. He was busy and has to call me back. 5 of the dealers I called didn't answer the phone and I had to leave a message. One of dealers listed didn't have a telephone listed.

I did get a call back from one "local dealer" about 30 minutes after leaving a voice message. He couldn't tell me a price for 7 quarts of 5W-30. He said he'd have to call me back??? :rolleyes:

I don't think I'm a "cult" kinda guy!!! :P
Well, there ya go, that's why they don't want to talk to you! Did you tell them you were going to bring your own punch to the annual meeting too??
Amsoil followup....

I got a call back from 3 of 7 Amsoil dealers I contacted or left a message with. The last call came in at 9:00PM last night.

2 gave me the same price $8.90 per quart for 7 quarts of 5w-30.

One, very nice guy spent about 10 minutes "selling" me on becoming a Preferred Customer for $40.00, then I get "his" price. He couldn't find the price of the oil filter, although he thought for sure Amsoil offers one for the IS250.

He even offered to sell me my first 7 quarts at $6.99 per quart to try it out. He also said I can order and buy it right from the Amsoil website, of course I already figured that out.

I told him I didn't think that he made much profit on a single sale of 7 quarts of oil once a year!!! He said " I just like selling it".

So do you "cult members" buy from Amsoil direct or do you buy from a local dealer? If I go 25,000 miles, how much oil will my IS250 use up in 25,000 miles. I've never gone more than about 5,000 miles on any oil change in any of my vehicles.

Just buy it directly from the Amsoil website, that's what I do. My 6 month preferred membership was $10, and it paid for itself on the first order. I'll order my oil and filter for my next oil change before the membership expires to really utilize the $10 membership. When ordering online, the membership will become active as soon as you add it to your cart. $40 for the membership?? That's insane. According to the Amsoil website, it does not look like Amsoil makes an EaO filter for your IS250. They offer a Wix filter instead. Paying for the cheapest ground shipping they offer, my oil arrives in about 3 days from the day I ordered it; I've got no complaints about their customer service.

My LS400 is a completely different animal than an IS250, but it doesn't consume any oil (and if it does, it's not enough to show a change on the dipstick).