Dvd Stops Working

TDHC13

Hello Everyone: I'm new to the forum and I have a new problem with my nav on 2003 gx 470. Today, the NAV starting displaying unable to read data. Even though it has never failed ion cold weather, I thought it was cold related. After warming the car the problem persists. I located the DVD player under the seat. Ejected the DVD... seems clean but cleaned it and reinserted it. No change. I've never upgraded and would like to but I'm not sure that the problem is only the DVD. Is there a way to reset it and has anyone experienced sudden failure like this?

Welcome to the LOC!

You have already done the first troubleshooting steps like cleaning the disc and remove/reinstall that I would have suggested...Sadly, that isn't great news for your nav disc drive. The Gen 2/3 systems are fairly well known for developing a problem with weak lasers and after a while, they cannot read the DVD anymore :(

Do a search on here, there is some pretty good info on replacement and apparently there is one company in NY who can repair the drive by replacing the drive unit.

Sorry for the not-so-great news :(

Welcome to the LOC!

You have already done the first troubleshooting steps like cleaning the disc and remove/reinstall that I would have suggested...Sadly, that isn't great news for your nav disc drive. The Gen 2/3 systems are fairly well known for developing a problem with weak lasers and after a while, they cannot read the DVD anymore :(

Do a search on here, there is some pretty good info on replacement and apparently there is one company in NY who can repair the drive by replacing the drive unit.

Sorry for the not-so-great news :(

I was thinking the same thing based on my knowledge of the DVD drives. I was hoping that it wasn't the drive. :(

Thanks for your help. I bought an upgrade for the generation 3 just in case it is the disk. I haven't inserted it yet. Will try it but I think we're right on the money with the drive being defective. Any experience with Lexus replacing it out of warranty fo0r a vehicle that is 5 years old with 30,000 miles?

Honestly, for a car that new and low miles, I would consider getting a Lexus Extended Warranty.

There is a sponsor here named Toby Rivers and he is supposed to be "The Man" on these discounted Lexus Warranties.

If your car were under warranty again, I suppose that it would be covered :)