Ls430 Mavigation 8.1 Map Update

Pepo

I recently got a postcard from Lexus announcing the Version 8.1 Map Update Service. They want $265 plus labor (approx. $50 at my dealer). These are my questions:

1. Are these reasonable costs?

2. Can I buy the upgrade and install it myself? Is it a technically challenging installation?

3. Are there any other reliable sources of this software other than Lexus, at a significantly better price?

Any help will be appreciated,

José

Look again? $250 with a $50 rebate? No tax if you live outside of Texas?

Are we spatting Steve?

The rebate is only if you have the 7.1 DVD disc that you can return to them. I have an older one (have not upgraded the navigation since I bought the car in 2004), so no rebate for me. Still, this is cheaper than going through my local Lexus dealer.

Jose

:(

The other option is to buy an older one off ebay or craigslist. You can get an OEM 6.1 or 7.1 disc that someone swapped out for much less if you don't need the latest and greatest. Just have to be careful to get the correct Generation.

It is a good idea but the cheapest one at eBay was $189 for a 7.1 disc.

BTW, my wife drives a 2005 Toyota Sienna. Anybody knows where to find the latest update to its navigation system?

Thanks!

Jose

Hmm...I wonder if Sewell Lexus would sell you one of the ones returned for a rebate? A quick call couldn't hurt anything, right?

Shoot, they only paid $50 for them...

From what I have been able to find, the 2005 Sienna is a Gen 4 system. Depending on the year of your LS430, it may also be a Gen 4.

Most sources list the Nav discs to be interchangable between toyota/lexus as long as the Generations are the same.

Hmm...I wonder if Sewell Lexus would sell you one of the ones returned for a rebate? A quick call couldn't hurt anything, right?

Shoot, they only paid $50 for them...

From what I have been able to find, the 2005 Sienna is a Gen 4 system. Depending on the year of your LS430, it may also be a Gen 4.

Most sources list the Nav discs to be interchangable between toyota/lexus as long as the Generations are the same.

My LS430 is a 2004, which I think is also a Gen 4. I am wondering if I could burn a copy of the DVD and install it in the Sienna?

Thanks for the great info!!

Jose

• 3 weeks later...
I recently got a postcard from Lexus announcing the Version 8.1 Map Update Service. They want $265 plus labor (approx. $50 at my dealer). These are my questions:

1. Are these reasonable costs?

2. Can I buy the upgrade and install it myself? Is it a technically challenging installation?

3. Are there any other reliable sources of this software other than Lexus, at a significantly better price?

Any help will be appreciated,

José

Might want to check to see if after the update if the Override option will still work. I saw on one site that once the new disk is installed that you cannot reprogram the unit while moving. I like the Navi on mine. although it is missing a few new roads built over the last few years.

I wonder how much a diff the update is from the present system?? :o here is the site http://www.lexusoverride.com/