When To Change Atf In Rx 330

FZ6 Dude

Our 2006 330 has 29K miles on it. I have seen a lot of talk on tranny issues with the 300. I know that the 330 has a better unit, but should I still go ahead and drain the ATF now @ 30K, or wait until 60K? Also, when you drain the fluid, do you want to change the filter everytime too?

Thanks

Our 2006 330 has 29K miles on it. I have seen a lot of talk on tranny issues with the 300. I know that the 330 has a better unit, but should I still go ahead and drain the ATF now @ 30K, or wait until 60K? Also, when you drain the fluid, do you want to change the filter everytime too?

Thanks

What does the manual in your '06 recommend? The later transmissions shouldn't have the problems that the weak earlier ones did. I would change it by whatever the manual says, or earlier if it smells burned at all or is getting dirty at all. That should be a full synthetic ATF so it should last a lot longer than 30k unless you're towing with it or getting stuck in the snow a lot- anything that is unkind to it. If it looks nice and red (or pink) and no burnt odor and isn't up to the miles the service manual says, I don't think there's any reason to change it. I personally (this is me and others will have their own opinion) don't like to ever simply drain a tranny pan, even if it has a drain plug. I always prefer to remove the pan and clean it and the magnets and change the filter. That is unless it looks like you just put it in. I like to get a look inside and that's the only way you get one. What if there are some nice sized slivers of metal on the magnet? You'll never know that important piece of information because the magnet will hold them when you drain it.