Key Fob Not Working Properly

SRX

2000 RX300. Changed the battery, but didn't solve the problem. My key fob does not always function correctly. It seems to malfunction most frequently in cold weather. Pressing the "lock" button does not lock the vehicle. Need to go to lock button on the door to lock car when this happens. "Unlock" feature seems to work even when the "lock" function does not. Anyone experience this? Suggestions to fix?

Does it make a long beeeep sound when it doesnt lock?

If so, you may be having the start of the dreaded weak actuator :(

No long "beeeep" noticed.

In cold weather, some key fob transmitters can intermittently be affected by random static electricity. This can be triggered by carrying your keys around in your pants pockets while walking on indoor carpets, and even simply by walking from a warm house outside into the cold air....

The most effective fix for this static electricity interference problem is to open the key transmitter and custom-cut and fit a micro-thin sheet of computer component static film over the circuit board inside the key, then reassemble your key. The film helps to protect your key circuitry from static electricity by minimizing its impact on the transmission signals that your key puts out. If your problem is indeed static electricity interfering with proper operation of the key transmitter (and from what you described, I believe it is), then this quick and inexpensive fix works 95% of the time regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. I have experienced this annoying problem with two completely different vehicles over the years. In both cases, this fix solved the problem immediately.

You can purchase sheets of this static film at any computer components retail store such as TigerDirect, CompUSA, and you may even find it at Radio Shack. Give it a shot and then let us know if this indeed solves your problem....

Sure sounds like a weak door lock actuator. When you press the lock button do you get any indication that the RX has received the signal (beep or parking light flash)? If so I wouldn't suspect the remote. Did you check all the doors to make sure they all fail to lock? Or is it just one?

If you want to eliminate the static electricty possibility without going out and buying anything, just get a clothes dryer sheet (like Bounce) and fold it and put it in your pocket with the remote for a test.

If it does turn out to be the actuator there is a long discussion on the repair here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...amp;hl=actuator

Sure sounds like a weak door lock actuator. When you press the lock button do you get any indication that the RX has received the signal (beep or parking light flash)? If so I wouldn't suspect the remote. Did you check all the doors to make sure they all fail to lock? Or is it just one?

If you want to eliminate the static electricty possibility without going out and buying anything, just get a clothes dryer sheet (like Bounce) and fold it and put it in your pocket with the remote for a test.

If it does turn out to be the actuator there is a long discussion on the repair here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...amp;hl=actuator

Thanks for the input. No indication the RX has received a signal. When my wife and I are together and uses her remote after mine has failed, the car locks as it should. My remote usually fails to lock the vehicle but will function to unlock the doors.

In cold weather, some key fob transmitters can intermittently be affected by random static electricity. This can be triggered by carrying your keys around in your pants pockets while walking on indoor carpets, and even simply by walking from a warm house outside into the cold air....

The most effective fix for this static electricity interference problem is to open the key transmitter and custom-cut and fit a micro-thin sheet of computer component static film over the circuit board inside the key, then reassemble your key. The film helps to protect your key circuitry from static electricity by minimizing its impact on the transmission signals that your key puts out. If your problem is indeed static electricity interfering with proper operation of the key transmitter (and from what you described, I believe it is), then this quick and inexpensive fix works 95% of the time regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. I have experienced this annoying problem with two completely different vehicles over the years. In both cases, this fix solved the problem immediately.

You can purchase sheets of this static film at any computer components retail store such as TigerDirect, CompUSA, and you may even find it at Radio Shack. Give it a shot and then let us know if this indeed solves your problem....

Thanks for the suggestion. If my remote fails, and my wife is with me, hers works. Mine will work for the unlock function. Also have a 2005 RX and never had this problem using the remote with it.

Yea, if one remote works but the other doesnt, it sounds like your actuators are fine. I agree.

Here is what I would do:

Find a replacement battery for the remote (I think battery type is on back of the fob IIRC).

Remove the electronics guts from the fob and gently clean any junk out of the works with an old toothbrush and a tiny amount of electronics cleaner or isoprophyl alcohol.

Replace the battery, but check the battery contacts for any corrosion on them. If there is, use the eraser on the back of a pencil to clean them up. Be gentle.

You should be able to test your remote out of the key fob after you clean stuff up before you put it all back together.

Yea, if one remote works but the other doesnt, it sounds like your actuators are fine. I agree.

Here is what I would do:

Find a replacement battery for the remote (I think battery type is on back of the fob IIRC).

Remove the electronics guts from the fob and gently clean any junk out of the works with an old toothbrush and a tiny amount of electronics cleaner or isoprophyl alcohol.

Replace the battery, but check the battery contacts for any corrosion on them. If there is, use the eraser on the back of a pencil to clean them up. Be gentle.

You should be able to test your remote out of the key fob after you clean stuff up before you put it all back together.

I used your suggestion to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser ... the remote is working again ... thank you! Thanks also to all others who offered possible solutions.

Here is what I would do:

I used your suggestion to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser ... the remote is working again ... thank you! Thanks also to all others who offered possible solutions.

One thing I want to say about remote batteries. After I had replaced all 4 locks with donated piggyback locks and everything worked perfectly, when I was going back into the house (evening) I hit the remote one last time, and it failed!!! I was crushed! What was wrong? I tried it several more times and it would work sometimes and sometimes not. I checked the battery with a DVM and it tested 3.0V. It's a 3.0V battery so I thought that can't be the problem. A 3.0V cell would test about 3.3V when new. I was tearing my hair out and so I thought the only thing I knew to do was go get a new battery, though I didn't see how that could be the problem. (I had taken the remote key all apart earlier and cleaned it thoroughly) Got a new battery and it is still functioning flawlessly almost 3 years later, on that same battery. They seem to be rather voltage sensitive.

• 1 month later...

After going through the "weak battery" in the fob thing for months, I checked and the "weak" battery read 3V. (Not weak) I was thinking failing actuator, buy new fob, etc.

I looked at the metal prongs in the fob that contact the battery and noticed they had been stretched/pushed out over the years, especially the ones that touch the outside (circular) edge of the battery. I bent all prongs so they would more positively press against the battery. Voila ! Problem solved. Fob works well again.

Stu