Help::::is My Battery Dead?

aske

Hello,

This is winter time here where I stay.

I have an ES 350 which I bought end 07 (so it is just around 1+ yrs). I did not drive it for around 10 days. Today, when I tried to unlock/lock the car with my remote key, it did not work. The car was open, so i got in, and tried to start. No lights, no indication nothing. Dead. The brake also feels tight. I tried with my spare remote key, same thing. I tried the 'contact method' in the manual (L logo to ignition etc) no response.

Does this mean my battery is discharged ? Is there no light or indication showing it is discharged ?

Also, if I jump start it, will I have to replace my battery or is it that once it is "charged" it is fine again ?

thanks!!!!!!!

Hello,

This is winter time here where I stay.

I have an ES 350 which I bought end 07 (so it is just around 1+ yrs). I did not drive it for around 10 days. Today, when I tried to unlock/lock the car with my remote key, it did not work. The car was open, so i got in, and tried to start. No lights, no indication nothing. Dead. The brake also feels tight. I tried with my spare remote key, same thing. I tried the 'contact method' in the manual (L logo to ignition etc) no response.

Does this mean my battery is discharged ? Is there no light or indication showing it is discharged ?

Also, if I jump start it, will I have to replace my battery or is it that once it is "charged" it is fine again ?

thanks!!!!!!!

I would get it jump started and then take it to a Lexus Dealer or auto shop that sells batteries. They can hook up the battery to a machine that will tell you if the battery is still good and has any life left in it. Not sure if the battery could be replaced under warranty.

Using the remote to start the car (by placing it at the start/off push button) is used if the battery in the remote is dead. I have a couple of new remote batteries on hand, so when the batteries do go dead, I can replace them right away. I got the remote batteries at Radio Shack.

Good luck.

Thanks folks! looks like the battery got discharged. I borrowed a jumper cable (need to buy and keep one for myself after this episode) and used my trusty old camry to start the lexus. I am going to take it to the service center next week to ensure the battery life is ok.

Thanks folks! looks like the battery got discharged. I borrowed a jumper cable (need to buy and keep one for myself after this episode) and used my trusty old camry to start the lexus. I am going to take it to the service center next week to ensure the battery life is ok.

Can I give you some advice?

The Lexus has a warranty and roadside assistance for a reason. I would not jump start a Lexus that is under warranty, you paid a lot of money for roadside assistance, Lexus service and their warranty. Call 1-800-25-LEXUS and have them send someone out to you, let them jumpstart the car and assume any liability if anything gets damaged (you can destroy a car's electrical system by jumpstarting improperly). Then take the car to Lexus of Rockville (best DC area dealer by far) and I would ask that they check the battery, they'll probably replace it under warranty. I bet it has a bad cell or something.

Don't buy jumper cables, let Lexus assume the reliability of jumpstarting it and never offer to jumpstart anyone else's car. Let professionals do it.

Can I give you some advice?

Wow, Steve. I had no idea that jump starting it could fry my car!!

Holy Smokes (literally).

Advice taken - I've stored that number the next time it happens. How many yrs does Lexus offer roadside service? I knew the would fix things if I got it to their service center (I bought it from Lexus of Rockville) but did not know they would send someone for free till it was posted here.