Gs 350 2008 Oil Filter Change - What Parts Needed?

I know I will need an oil filter cartridge - will I also need a couple of rubber seals? Anything else that should be

changed when an oil change is done? (Why did Lexus and other car makers return to the old system of replacing the

internal element of the oil filter instead of just using a self-contained canister type unit that most cars use?)

I know I will need an oil filter cartridge - will I also need a couple of rubber seals? Anything else that should be

changed when an oil change is done? (Why did Lexus and other car makers return to the old system of replacing the

internal element of the oil filter instead of just using a self-contained canister type unit that most cars use?)

The rubber O-rings come in the package with the new replacement cartridge. This is true for the Toyota/Denso product as well as the aftermarket versions (STP and FRAM).

They most likely went to this version to get more people to have the oil changed at the dealership than DIY in their own driveway. On the "green" side, it is less waste of metal and parts when thrown away and this type is easier to produce.

steviej

You will need 6.5 quarts of oil, a 10 mm socket & ratchet to access the oil filter, an oil filter (i would only get one from Lexus because most of the cars I see that come from Jiffy Lube, or 5 Minute Oil Change have leaking filters), a drain plug gasket, 14 mm wrench for drain plug and a PROPER canister oil filter removal socket. If you are going to be doing your own oil changes on this vehicle, I would get the correct oil filter socket so that you do not round the edges of the canister filter cap. Remember, only tighten the canister filter hand tight and make sure you replace & lubricate that o-ring.

Oh, and the I've never seen a GS350 that had a drain hole on the oil filter. The ES, LS, LX and RX do have that however. There's no need for a drain hole since the filter is perfectly horizontal and will drain straight down when the filter is loosened.

This thread is about an 08 gs350. Just thought I would point that out.

I am well aware of what this thread is about, however, it holds true for the any Lexus/Toyota with a cannister type fitler.

just thought that I would point that out.

My 06 GS300 AWD has an end plug on the cannister and the whole thing in on an angle. Taking the entire cannister off can be messy if you don't know what to expect.

steviej

This thread is about an 08 gs350. Just thought I would point that out.

How Rude ! some new members are