Rearview Mirror Automatic Dimming Help!

HI all,

I just got my Rx 350 - love it! The only minor thing . . .but it gets annoying . . . is the automatic dimming of the rearview mirror. I don't want to have to shut it off each time I start up the car. I park my car in a public garage and it's quite difficult to see what's behind me in the dark garage. I know it's a simple matter of shutting off the anti-glare mechanism but it gets annoying to do that everytime I start the car. Any ideas? Thanks!

HI all,

I just got my Rx 350 - love it! The only minor thing . . .but it gets annoying . . . is the automatic dimming of the rearview mirror. I don't want to have to shut it off each time I start up the car. I park my car in a public garage and it's quite difficult to see what's behind me in the dark garage. I know it's a simple matter of shutting off the anti-glare mechanism but it gets annoying to do that everytime I start the car. Any ideas? Thanks!

The dimming mechanism works by comparing the luminosity front of the car (photocell on 'front' of mirror) with the luminosity received by the mirror from the back. When the back is stronger than the front (in relative terms, as set), the mirror dims. Thus, it could be that if you turned on your headlights in the garage, the mirror would not dim as much. This, of course, is assuming that all is working correctly. I had the reverse problem in my BMW: the mirror did not dim enough, and, the car being a low convertible, the lights of cars behind always disturbed me at night. So, I pasted a small 'tinted transparent plastic' cover over the front photocell of the mirror, and all is now perfect. It took a couple of tries to find the right color density.]

I have an RX300, and soon another (RX350). Haven't noticed any problem with mirror dimming. Maybe you should ask the delaer to check your dimming response?

HI all,

I believe the dimming also cancels when you put the RX in reverse. The dark tint rear glass obviously reduces vision, as well. I would expect you'll adapt to the view in a short time.

• 3 months later...
HI all,

I believe the dimming also cancels when you put the RX in reverse. The dark tint rear glass obviously reduces vision, as well. I would expect you'll adapt to the view in a short time.

On my 95 LS400, My RVM does not dim as dark as it used to. It is on (green LED). Completely clueless on what to do with that.