Heated Windshield Wiper

I can't believe it. May be it is my fault.

I just found out there is no heated windshield wiper on my new RX400H!

I have been driving cheaper car that has heated windshield wiper car for the last 10 years.

Why they bother to sell it in a cold weather region like Canada.

Very very disappointed. Almost feel like to refund it. I hope I am over reacted. And just hope I don't know how to turn it on only

Please tell me it is a dumb user error.

:( Sigh.

I can't believe it. May be it is my fault.

I have been driving cheaper car that has heated windshield wiper car for the last 10 years.

Very very disappointed. Almost feel like to refund it. I hope I am over reacted. And just hope I don't know how to turn it on only

Please tell me it is a dumb user error.

:( Sigh.

Agreed. I didn't know there is this option (in other cars), but it has been 9 yrs since I bought my last car. But, Lexus bothered to put this useless (to me) rain drop sensor in, which does not work most of the time.

Rain sensor works great on my 400h. Heated windshield wiper?, c'mon, there has to more important things to complain about. I guess for you it's worth getting a refund, I don't get it but to each his own. Be happy and get what you want. Rey

Agreed. I didn't know there is this option (in other cars), but it has been 9 yrs since I bought my last car. But, Lexus bothered to put this useless (to me) rain drop sensor in, which does not work most of the time.

My previous Highlander is an example of having this feature. I didn't even think about it when I buy the RX400H.

Snow storm without the heated windshield wiper is almost not drivable.

Heated mirror without heated wiper... It is almost too funny to be a joke.

I am wondering if there is a after market to have one install.

:(

Rain sensor works great on my 400h. Heated windshield wiper?, c'mon, there has to more important things to complain about. I guess for you it's worth getting a refund, I don't get it but to each his own. Be happy and get what you want. Rey

I guess you don't drive in the area that snow. Lucky you.

Almost feel like to refund it. I hope I am over reacted.

By all means...return the RX and get the car with heated windshield.

Now, I almost feel silly for looking for a vehicle with high MPG, lots of power and torque, safe, comfortable and reasonably priced with a high build quality and low maintenance requirements.

I think it is safe to say you am the definition of over reacted.

Now, I almost feel silly for looking for a vehicle with high MPG, lots of power and torque, safe, comfortable and reasonably priced with a high build quality and low maintenance requirements.

I went and search on Google. Luckly, there are a few after market heated windshield blade, for only about $100. So with installation, I assume may be $300 top? So for sure I will have one installed. Just need to find out which one is the best or may be the Lexus dealer have one available. I hope they do.

In winter with snow storm coming down, like in Ottawa, Ontario tonight, without heated wiper, it is like when you drive in a heavy rain with only intermit timer wiper on only. You just can't see and drive safely.

All I can say now is, I highly highly recommend to have one install if snow storm does happen in your area. My previous highlander heated blade work as if there is no ice issue on the blade. I get so used to it, I didn't even think of it any more. It is why I was so upset when I came home today with the big snow storm that we are having now. I just can't see, half of the blades were not even touching the windshield to clean the snow/ice.

They sell washer formula for cold weather that prevents ice formation (also keeps the washer bottle from freezing). I hardly ever see it here in SoCal, but I have seen it at AutoZone on occasion.

I wasn't being facetious, I really had never heard of such a thing! Yes, I live in L.A. so I never see snow...it will be 80 this Friday and it is January! Anyway, I still think that the original post sounded a bit over the top, if you don't mind me saying. If you can afford this car you can add whatever you want to it. I have spent a lot just adding stuff and making it my own , so just thank goodness that you can have this car. Nowadays many people don't even have a job for Pete's sake.

Just my two cents. Warmly yours (literally) Rey in sunny L.A.

I wasn't being facetious, I really had never heard of such a thing! Yes, I live in L.A. so I never see snow...it will be 80 this Friday and it is January! Anyway, I still think that the original post sounded a bit over the top, if you don't mind me saying. If you can afford this car you can add whatever you want to it. I have spent a lot just adding stuff and making it my own , so just thank goodness that you can have this car. Nowadays many people don't even have a job for Pete's sake.

Just my two cents. Warmly yours (literally) Rey in sunny L.A.

No problem Rxrey and I understand. Yes, I was a bit over aggressive on my first post. And being playful on the refund statement. As we all know, car is not refundable. Anyway, on the serious side, I was a bit stun about missing the heated wiper from my own experience, as I previously own the Highlander and expecting the RX400H should have everything Highlander have. As I said, my estimate of having one install should be around $300, U hope. Which is a small faction of the total cost. I just have to go thru some trouble to have it install.

If anyone have one of these after market heated wiper install. Please share.

Regards,

HAHA! Billy, u AM a funny guy!

I suppose a heated wiper is nice; i've never even heard of such a thing. what will they think of next?

I was under the impression that the heaters were actually located at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers normally live (similar to the way the rear window defroster works).

Are you talking about having wiper blades with heater elements in the blades?

I have used these blades on my Jeep and they work well without getting clogged with ice.

In fact, they are encased in very soft rubber that does not allow the ice to get in the mechanism and clog it up.

Please post back on how you did with the heated wipers. I am interest since I live in Toronto.

I just came back from Lexus dealer. Nice service, can't complaint about it. They took the time to explain it to me.

They don't recommend that I install the heated windshield blade even the cost is not an issue. Because there is chance that it may crack the windshield when it is very cold. They told me that the RX400H has the heated windshield that sold in Canada, and may be on the U.S. one too. May be depending on the region but he is not 100% sure. The heating part of the windshield is located at the bottom of the windshield where the blade is normally seated. So, I told him, I never have just a problem on my old Highlander like yesterday I had. Is the heater not working? So, we test by turning on the heated mirror button. And heat does start to come on after a mintue or so. And he told me Highlander works the same way. The heating area just heat up the blade and melt the ice. In fact Lexus blade is a bit better according to him. He explain it but it come in from my right ear and gone out from the left. In any case, he told me with such a bad snow storm yesterday, ice accumulation on the blade can happen. But he told me the followings should improve it..

- First, clean off the snow/ice of where the heater and the blade seat. Which I didn't do last night. So that heat can have a better chance to heat up the blade versus the ice already around there. Make sense.

- Turn on the heated windshield right the way and let it heat up the blade before wipe the snow off so that it has less chance the snow/ice attached to the blade.

- And lastly, try to use the blade with intermit speed for the reason of letting the blade have a chance to be heated up at the seat position. And I was kept the wiper in full speed and try to clean the snow off.

Learning everyday, I guess. So, I hope it is just an user problem. :P And I will keep that in mind on the next snow storm. So pour more snow and coming down, I am ready for the challenge. :angry:

For those who is lucky enough of never drive in a snow storm. This is what happen. The snow and dirt come onto your windshield, and you need the blade to wipe it off for obvious reason. But eventually with some moist/water, ice form on the blade and on the arm. So that the blade is no long flexible and doesn't seat fit on the windshield. One of the blade was not even touching on the windshield last night. It is like you have a really bad windshield blade need to be replaced. Driving in that condition in a highway is fun to say the least. It is much worst than having heavy rain without full wiper speed on. With intermit wiping, you at least see a full view when it did the wipe. So, think twice before you move to somewhere that snow.... <_<

Waiting for the next snow storm regards,

I was under the impression that the heaters were actually located at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers normally live (similar to the way the rear window defroster works).

Are you talking about having wiper blades with heater elements in the blades?

I have used these blades on my Jeep and they work well without getting clogged with ice.

In fact, they are encased in very soft rubber that does not allow the ice to get in the mechanism and clog it up.

See my message after yours. It is part of an user problem, but we will see how well it works. <_<

When I search the internet yesterday, I saw the wiper blade with heater element for sell in a range of $100. And yes that is what I refering to. That was my solution trying to counter the problem I had last night. And I thought that is what I have on my highlander, as I never have ice problem on my blade before. Yesterday was the first snow storm since I have my 3 weeks old Rx400H. But after talking to the dealer, I will try the procedure he mention first to see it will help. I hope it will. What he told me does make sense. But we will need a REAL test drive.

Still waiting for the next snow storm challenge regards,

LittleSand,

I don't see a partially heated windshield on the features list of the Canadian spec RX400h. I suspect your dealer is "pulling your leg". Do you see anything in your owners manual or the specs at: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/ho...category=option

Heated wipers have been around for decades -- it's not like they get red hot or nearly hot enough to break a windshield.

If I lived up in Ontario where I recently attended a family reunion, I might give heated wipers from http://www.everblades.com/ a try. They look good, eh?

Or you could try the "Hotshot" product: http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/ General Motors was equipping cars in 2007 with the system until some sort of wiring problem required a recall and its supplier, Microheat, went out of business. I think the problems were with the Hotshot that was customized for GM's use.

Check this out...

Windshield nfo Part #56111

As long as you are a "Canada Spec" RX400h (and it even looks like some US spec can have it too) it should have the heater elements.

I wonder if someone who has electrical drawings can look to see where the electrical connector might be housed. When/If I need to replace my windshield, I will go with the heated one if I can connect it up. Shoot, why not?

LittleSand, can you look at your windshield near the bottom and possibly on the right and left sides to see if you can make out little heater wires like the ones in the back window?

Update: I looked at my windshield and despite having the cold weather package and seatheaters, headlight washers etc, there are no obvious heater elements in the windshield for me. :(

LittleSand,

I don't see a partially heated windshield on the features list of the Canadian spec RX400h. I suspect your dealer is "pulling your leg". Do you see anything in your owners manual or the specs at: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/ho...category=option

Heated wipers have been around for decades -- it's not like they get red hot or nearly hot enough to break a windshield.

If I lived up in Ontario where I recently attended a family reunion, I might give heated wipers from http://www.everblades.com/ a try. They look good, eh?

Or you could try the "Hotshot" product: http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/ General Motors was equipping cars in 2007 with the system until some sort of wiring problem required a recall and its supplier, Microheat, went out of business. I think the problems were with the Hotshot that was customized for GM's use.

Thanks for the info 1990LS400.

I agree with you, it doesn't say on the spec. In fact, if you check the Highlander spec, it did mention. That is why I was kind of upset yesterday. But when I test it with my dealer this morning, the heat does come on, I can feel the heat. So the dealer didn't pull my leg on this regard. But I didn't stay long enough to see how hot it can get as we went on and talk about something else. But for sure it is hot and not because I touch long enough of transfering my body heat. I will test again and see how hot it can get.

Yes, the first link of your was what I like and found on the internet last night too. It does look promising. In fact I already e-mail them with some questions last night, listed below. But I haven't got a reply from them yet. As you can tell from my e-mail to them, I am not much of a handy man. I don't even know where I can tap in the power. So, the chance of getting one is not high, unless they sell it in local dealer.

================================================================================

=======

I am interested in your heated windshield wiper. And I would like to know a bit more. Hopefully you can answer some of the questions.

1) Do you have a service dealer in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada that sell and install the product?

2) I have the 2008 Lexus RX400H. What parts do I need? As I am not clear of what part I need based on the web site.

3) Does detail installation guide come with it. How easy to have it install for someone who is not so handy?

4) If installation guide does come it with, does it show where we can connect and get the power from?

Feel free to add more comment that is important and I didn't ask.

================================================================================

======

I cannot imagine how a heated wiper blade would work well, but I also never seen nor heard of them.

It would seem that applying heat to the inside of the windshied via the AC system would be much more efficient than heating the windshield externally as well as the cold air.

Tom

From my owner's manual:

REAR WINDOW AND OUTSIDE

REAR VIEW MIRROR DEFOGGER,

AND WINDSHIELD WIPER DE-ICER

SWITCH

To turn the electric rear window and outside rear view

mirror defogger on, push the switch.

The ignition key must be in the “ON” position.

The thin heater wires on the inside of the rear window and the

heater panels in the outside rear view mirrors will quickly clear

the surface. An indicator light is on when the defogger is

operating.

Vehicles sold in Canada — The windshield wiper de-icers are

equipped to deice the windshield wiper blades by operating

simultaneously with defogger.

The system will automatically shut off when the defogger has

operated about 15 minutes.

CAUTION

Since the mirror surfaces can get hot, do not touch them

when the switch is on.

If further defrosting or defogging is desired, simply actuate the

switch again. When the surface has cleared, push the switch

once again to turn the defogger off. Continuous use may cause

the auxiliary battery to discharge, especially during

stop-and-go driving. The defogger is not designed to dry rain

water or to melt snow.

If the outside rear view mirrors are heavily coated with ice, use

a spray de-icer before operating the switch.

I think that basically mirrors what your dealer was saying...need to scrape first.

You Canadians are lucky...heated windshields for your wipers and stuff. I guess you can keep your RX400 LilSand. Congrats!

LittleSand, can you look at your windshield near the bottom and possibly on the right and left sides to see if you can make out little heater wires like the ones in the back window?

Update: I looked at my windshield and despite having the cold weather package and seatheaters, headlight washers etc, there is no obvious heater elements in the windshield for me. :(

Yes, there are some flat heating element/wire under where the bottom of the windshield. It is at where the black stripe is. The wire is not all along the black stripe. But they are 2~3 inches apart and thru out. The heating elment is about 4 inches in lenght and 2~3 wide. You will have to use a flash light to see it, may be bright light will do too. I was checking it in my garage, without the flash light, I can't see it there.

I also test the heat.... Since it is in my garage this time versus outside the dealer, I feel the heat right the way after I switch on the heated mirror button. I say after about 3 minutes, it may be at its highest. I didn't have a temperture gauge to measure it, I would say the heat is hotter than a normal hot shower that you would normally take. It may be as high as to a point that it is a bit too hot for shower. I was touching it on my finger which should not be as senitive as on the body. but for sure it is not too hot to touch.

Regards,

I think that basically mirrors what your dealer was saying...need to scrape first.

You Canadians are lucky...heated windshields for your wipers and stuff. I guess you can keep your RX400 LilSand. Congrats!

Yes, I guess it is. A dumb user problem, isn't it?

As for the heated windshield, did you try and see where the wiper sit at? Try with a flash light and look at a 45 degree angle, you will see if you have it that is. Yes, I guess I am happily keeping the RX400 :)

To answer Gryplon comment. the heated wiper/windshield works really well. I say at least on my old Highlander for now. When it is parked outside and if the blade got ice on, after I turn it on, the ice just goes away. Yes, you still need the front defoger blower on to clear the moist/ice inside. But the key is this, the heated blade/windshield melt the ice off the blade, so that the blade/rubber can clear the snow with proper fit. Otherwise, the rubber can't touch the windshield because the ice deform the shape of the blade.

Regards,

Thanks for the directions on what to look for. I rolled the car out of the garage and turned on the defoggers. The mirrors got warm, but the front just stayed cold and clammy. Used a flashlight but could not see what you were describing.

I am willing to bet that the connector is there to connect it up (probably behind the dash somewhere) but they just didnt install the optional heated windshield.

I bet if you use a combo of scraping, heating and those winter blades we were talking about, you will be good to go in the next blizzard.