Motor Shuts Off After It's In Gear, Until It's Warm.

ihateduke

99 RX300, 150k

This is a strange problem that I can't figure out. In the morning or after a long day of work, I can crank up my car with no problems. As soon as I put it in any gear it will shut off. If I leave it in Park and rev it up, it goes up, but as soon as I back off of the gas it will shut off. Usually, I just wait about 20 seconds or so and it usually works fine. If it was the battery, then it should have problems cranking, which it doesn't. It seems to be worse when it's colder outside, but it's hard to say for sure. This has been going on for many years, but it doesn't always happen.

Any thoughts?

99 RX300, 150k

This is a strange problem that I can't figure out. In the morning or after a long day of work, I can crank up my car with no problems. As soon as I put it in any gear it will shut off. If I leave it in Park and rev it up, it goes up, but as soon as I back off of the gas it will shut off. Usually, I just wait about 20 seconds or so and it usually works fine. If it was the battery, then it should have problems cranking, which it doesn't. It seems to be worse when it's colder outside, but it's hard to say for sure. This has been going on for many years, but it doesn't always happen.

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

If it lasts for year, there may be a number of reasons already causing it (low compression level, plugs, etc.), so I would strongly suggest you ask a dealer to check all the systems before it gets worse.

What you describe is very similar to what people have in my place. When poor quality fuel or not recommended fuel additives are used (even once or twice), sediments or something get stuck in the fuel flow system and with time the engine starts not to run smoothly, shuts off or does not start. Normally it only happens when cold temperatures hit but then it does not go away until you clean the whole fuel flow system.

This is quiet expensive but an alternative is the risk of an engine stop in the middle of driving. As said, you may have many reasons for shut down combined together, so best is to have a dealer check. Good luck!

Usually when it is cold, the idle should be higher. Is it more than 750 rpm when cold....?? You could have a dirty IACV valve. You might want to read this posting. It may help....

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...408&hl=iacv

Here is even a better one...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-foru...e-write-up.html