Brake Job Questions

I have an IS 350 with a very slight lip forming on the disc as I run my finger over the edge. I've got 25k miles and looking to understand two things...

1. Should I machine off the lip now and change the pads to match?

or

2. Not bother with the "very" slight lip and wait until the pads need to be changed before turning the rotor?

I'm also not sure how durable Lexus/Toyota rotors are to turning? I recall Acura's rotors were quite weak and after two turns, it needed to be replaced.

I have an IS 350 with a very slight lip forming on the disc as I run my finger over the edge. I've got 25k miles and looking to understand two things...

or

2. Not bother with the "very" slight lip and wait until the pads need to be changed before turning the rotor?

I'm also not sure how durable Lexus/Toyota rotors are to turning? I recall Acura's rotors were quite weak and after two turns, it needed to be replaced.

Honestly if it is performing well and there is no shimmy when stopping and the problem is just cosmetic...I would wait for the pads to die.

And about the rotors being resurfaced they should last a while. The pads on the 350 are softer for better performance which leads to more brake dust....but i'm not sure but the stock pads I think are non-metallic or organic which are alot friendlier to rotors which should help them last longer.

I'm at 33k miles and my dealer is saying I probably need new pads and rotors. He tells me the rotors are soft for better braking - is he BSing me? I know the pads are pretty shot and need to be replaced. Thanks for the insight.

I'm at 33k miles and my dealer is saying I probably need new pads and rotors. He tells me the rotors are soft for better braking - is he BSing me? I know the pads are pretty shot and need to be replaced. Thanks for the insight.

Well I checked with a few other sources and the slight lip is not a problem therefore doesn't warrant getting the rotor turned. Not to mention, I called a few machine shops and they do rotor turns for $10 - $16 a rotor if even needed. In your case, I think the dealer is BSing you. I keep hearing from good sources that Lexus/Toyota rotors are quite good and do hold up. The pads are obviously a softer material than the rotors. I'm not sure what the dealer means by the rotors being soft. That doesn't sound right. Unless you have pulsations when you hit the brakes and you don't see any visual defects on the rotor, it very likely does not need to be turned. I would just replace the brake pads.

or

Honestly if it is performing well and there is no shimmy when stopping and the problem is just cosmetic...I would wait for the pads to die.

And about the rotors being resurfaced they should last a while. The pads on the 350 are softer for better performance which leads to more brake dust....but i'm not sure but the stock pads I think are non-metallic or organic which are alot friendlier to rotors which should help them last longer.

Thanks, that's sound advice. I got similar feedback from local folks that I talked to in person. I hear the dealers always turn the rotors when changing pads as they don't want to carry any liability of a customer complaining about not doing a thorough job, perhaps being on the "too safe" side of repairs, etc. The mechanics I talked to, including one at a Toyota dealer mentioned he tries to just keep to pad changes until there is physical evidence of pulsations or visible defects that need to be addressed.

I wouldn't say that the rotors are soft. I would say that the pads are more aggressive causing the rotors to wear faster.

Look, another opportunity to use the word "sporty." Resurfacing the rotors when there is no problem will only decrease the life of the rotors. The front brake combo appears to be designed for one time use. At least Lexus isn't doing what Mercedes and BMW are doing yet. You won't find a brake lathe at a Mercedes, or BMW dealership.

If you decide to keep your rotors, you should check the thickness against the published minimums. I know BMW has min thickness molded into the hub. I am sorry but I do not remember if Lexus does the same.

At any rate, that info should be available in the maintenance manual.

If the thickness is ok, I would also scuff up the rotor surfaces with some emory cloth just to knock the glaze off of the rotor. If you put new pads on a glazed rotor, they really do not stop very well.

I would plan on keeping them if the minimum thickness is ok.

If you decide to keep your rotors, you should check the thickness against the published minimums. I know BMW has min thickness molded into the hub. I am sorry but I do not remember if Lexus does the same.

At any rate, that info should be available in the maintenance manual.

If the thickness is ok, I would also scuff up the rotor surfaces with some emory cloth just to knock the glaze off of the rotor. If you put new pads on a glazed rotor, they really do not stop very well.

I would plan on keeping them if the minimum thickness is ok.

Lexus rotors usually have the minimum thickness stamped somewhere on them. The IS should have it stamped on the back side.