Rear View Camera - Fuzzy In Is350

I make a habit of wiping the lens off regularly...even a little road goo makes mine look all foggy and blurry.

Correct, it just needs to be washed. By hand. If the dealership washed it for you when you got it, it's not good enough.

It seems like it has some static to it, not a completely clear picture. Is this normal for our cars?

I've noticed mine has a little distortion in very cold weather (for me, that's less than 30 degrees F). By any chance, is this occuring in cold weather? Try again once you get to your destination and the cabin is warm. At least you can eliminate the cause as a cold LCD.

Also, give the camera a wife, as previously suggested!

Wife????? :huh::lol::rolleyes::lol:

Also, give the camera a wife, as previously suggested!

I know my wife doesn't like it when I give her a quick wipe with a moist finger! post-42851-1233163127.gif

Mine (2008/IS350) seems to be a little fuzzy in low light conditions and much better in good light. My guess is that is normal and I don't worry about it. Also, and let's face, the unnecessary backup camera on this small car is mainly for bling, and benefits Lexus's marketing department most.

But I like bling!

JohnCh

Good point: you won't be spotting a dime on the ground back there, but you will definitely see a lil kid on a big-wheel.

Sure, if used properly it promotes safety.

I do have to wonder though how many people have been hit by cross-traffic when looking at their monitor in lieu of left, right and over their shoulder as we all learned in drivers ed.

John

I really haven't gotten used to the camera, I guess. I check it and the mirrors, then spin around to back up. Old habits die hard.

I don't know what it is about Utah; maybe because the kids still actually play outside here, but people back over kids on a regular basis. :wacko:

Sure, if used properly it promotes safety.

I do have to wonder though how many people have been hit by cross-traffic when looking at their monitor in lieu of left, right and over their shoulder as we all learned in drivers ed.

John

Technology will never keep up with stupidity, so you have a good point there.

But perhaps the camera may lower the risk of a cross-traffic collision? I've got no statistical facts, but lean with me for a second: If a driver is looking over their right shoulder, the driver can't see behind him/her (which is now most of the left side of the car). In order to check traffic from that direction he/she has to rotate their head 270 degrees to check that side.

However, utilizing the camera (WHILE rechecking left and right) narrows the head rotation to 90 degrees (check left side, check rearview camera, check right side, repeat as necessary).

You get my point, and maybe I'm laying it on a little thick...but I do use my camera everytime I reverse!

I haven't ever used the back up camera for "checking" around, I still actually look, but I think because the rear deck is so high, you have this big blind spot that sits right behind the car, and the back up camera eliminates that. I use it to measure when I'm backing up distances to the parking curbs, walls, bushes, and poles. I love the camera for that! It's also nice when I back out of parking space as I can see other tail lights and reverse lights on cars across the way much more easily, and people who are walking thru the parking lots as they cross behind me. But I have never thought the back up camera replaced my side view mirrors, rear view mirror, actually looking out the side windows and checking, and just using some basic driving skills.

• 11 years later...

Understand this to be older posting however, thought I'd provide some additional information on 2006 - 2013 IS 350 reverse camera view.

While LCD Display screen is ON, place vehicle in REVERSE. When rear camera view is displayed on screen with "Check surroundings for safety" displayed,  select DISP button on the left of the LCD screen (below AUDIO and above INFO buttons). When pressed, Color, Contrast, Tone, Brightness will be displayed with factory default settings set. May be able to fine tune each for better camera view. Click OK after any adjustments.

g2r4s.jpg