Relay Failure

In December I experienced a disabling failure of my 2007 400h. When I tried to start it, the cooling fan came on at high speed as well as a host of warning lights. The vehicle had to be towed to a Lexus dealer. They had never encountered this problem before. Eventually they determined that a relay had failed that prevented power getting to the hybrid system. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Were there any additional consequences? It has certainly shaken my faith in Lexus.

Also, since the event occurred I have noticed that my hybrid battery no longer fully charges. The battery display never indicates more than 6 out of 8 bars. I start at the top of a long hill with 6 bars, and it still shows 6 bars at the bottom of the hill.

That could be because of the ambient temperature change, not because of having a new relay installed.

Really, unless you've had other manufacturer's vehicles, you may not realize how reliable Lexus is as a brand. My Corvette required at least 5 or 6 non-maintenence trips to the dealership within the first 4 years. My RX400h has required none. In fact, our Lexus is the most reliable vehicle my wife or I has ever owned and we've been driving for more than 34 years.

I wouldn't worry about one issue.

dave

Never heard of this situation. Glad they found the issue for you. Hopefully you won't let this shake your confidence.

We live at the top of a 3-4 mile long hill with 10-12% grade and it is rare for us to get fully charged even using the "B" position.

After doing some reading, I try to avoid fully charging like the plague. They say that overall life of the battery is significantly reduced by it being fully charged or discharged. I used to run down our hill in B for the extra brakeing to maintain under the speed limit, but I shift in and out of "B" now so I don't fully charge. I have read a poll on here I think where people have NEVER seen the battery fully charged, ever.

Never heard of this situation. Glad they found the issue for you. Hopefully you won't let this shake your confidence.

We live at the top of a 3-4 mile long hill with 10-12% grade and it is rare for us to get fully charged even using the "B" position.

After doing some reading, I try to avoid fully charging like the plague. They say that overall life of the battery is significantly reduced by it being fully charged or discharged. I used to run down our hill in B for the extra brakeing to maintain under the speed limit, but I shift in and out of "B" now so I don't fully charge. I have read a poll on here I think where people have NEVER seen the battery fully charged, ever.

I do see a fully charged (all bars colored green) on occasion. Only after considerable time coasting down hill for example.

Not all the time. I've notice it happen in warmer weather and during periods of long operation (everything warmed up).

When it happens it doesn't stay in that state long. Normally it is one or two bars lower than full.

/Steve

The one time I saw mine fully charged was coming down the grade from Glacier Point in Yosemite. When this occurred, I noticed a difference in braking. The regenerative braking was greatly attenuated or stopped completely, because obviously there was no place to put the regenerated energy.

OOH!

I was just there in October! We hiked from Glacier Point all the way around to Half Dome and climbed that beast. First time up Half Dome for me and that whole cable climb thing shook me a little. Fun!

There is nothing like Yosemite in the Fall...

:cheers:

In December I experienced a disabling failure of my 2007 400h. When I tried to start it, the cooling fan came on at high speed as well as a host of warning lights. The vehicle had to be towed to a Lexus dealer. They had never encountered this problem before. Eventually they determined that a relay had failed that prevented power getting to the hybrid system. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Were there any additional consequences? It has certainly shaken my faith in Lexus.

Also, since the event occurred I have noticed that my hybrid battery no longer fully charges. The battery display never indicates more than 6 out of 8 bars. I start at the top of a long hill with 6 bars, and it still shows 6 bars at the bottom of the hill.

Welcome gla, sorry your join relates to an 'issue'. On the good side, consider this. Your dealer says they never saw this. Often, that's a good thing, relating to the reliability of the 400h. Considering how quick they brough the SUV HSD to market back in '06 (late '05) it's been pretty trouble free. I wouldn't let one thing shake my faith. Consider how the dealer took care of the issue, as well as yours & others trouble free miles.

Welcome gla, sorry your join relates to an 'issue'. On the good side, consider this. Your dealer says they never saw this. Often, that's a good thing, relating to the reliability of the 400h. Considering how quick they brough the SUV HSD to market back in '06 (late '05) it's been pretty trouble free. I wouldn't let one thing shake my faith. Consider how the dealer took care of the issue, as well as yours & others trouble free miles.

Great points here. A good mechanic knows when he is over his head and needs support, and it sounds like they did just that and called the HSD experts at Lexus. Those guys know their stuff and got you back up and running. As SEGMN said, that they hadn't seen this before is a good thing.

OOH!

I was just there in October! We hiked from Glacier Point all the way around to Half Dome and climbed that beast. First time up Half Dome for me and that whole cable climb thing shook me a little. Fun!

Been there as well. Yes, the cables to the dome top are something else. Standing on top of Half Dome is an experience you do not forget.

/Steve

OOH!

Nothing? Oh, I don't know . . . have you ever tried Glacier National Park in the Summer? ;)

But maybe I'm prejudice.

Nothing? Oh, I don't know . . . have you ever tried Glacier National Park in the Summer? ;)

But maybe I'm prejudice.

Most definitely on my short list!

I have heard that Glacier is one of the least visited NPs and therefore one of the most beautiful. I am hoping we can work it in this spring/summer. :D