Fog Light Assembly Issue

Salkhan21

My drivers side fog light stopped working on my '01 IS and the dealership told me that I need a new fog light assembly which the part itself is $420.00 plus labor and tax. Anybody out there knows a cheaper way to get around this..... like something as simple as replacing the bulb lol?.. PLEASE HELP !

My drivers side fog light stopped working on my '01 IS and the dealership told me that I need a new fog light assembly which the part itself is $420.00 plus labor and tax. Anybody out there knows a cheaper way to get around this..... like something as simple as replacing the bulb lol?.. PLEASE HELP !

Yes, the bulb is replaceable and there are a number of discount sellers of Lexus parts.

Ask the dealer what the problem is ... i.e. why specifically is he saying that the entire fog light assembly needs to be replaced. Is the fog light assembly damaged?

The dealership says, that supposedly the bulb melted inside the socket and they were unable to get it out and hence they need to put an entire new assembly.... do you buy that?... I mean do you think its legit? And if it is do I but an entirely new fog light..... which basically is an assembly in my understanding..

I would just look on Ebay for a used one. The other problem your gonna have is if you only buy one, it's gonna look all brand new and clear, and the other one is going be the old one. You could probably get one for cheap. 50- bucks tops.

The dealership says, that supposedly the bulb melted inside the socket and they were unable to get it out and hence they need to put an entire new assembly.... do you buy that?... I mean do you think its legit? And if it is do I but an entirely new fog light..... which basically is an assembly in my understanding..

I suggest taking a look at your fog light yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the housing and you could drive your car without it for a while. The following website shows your fog light using what looks like an HB3 bulb but lists two different bulbs at very different prices: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2001_LEXU...EMVFA_8102.html

However, the Sylvania website says an 01 IS300 uses a 9006 bulb: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...placementGuide/

I'm confused but I am guessing that the Sylvania website is correct.

Maybe the situation isn't as bad as the dealer said. I once had a bulb explode in the headlight housing of a 1990 LS400. The housing looked ruined with melted crud coating the inside of the lens and the reflector. All it took to make it look and work like new again was to remove the headlight housing and blast the inside out at the car wash.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys, thats very helpful and will keep you posted. BTW Sylvania is correct... it does need the 9006 bulb for 2001 and 2002, the changed it in 2003 for some odd reason...