Charge Battery On Gs400

I wish to charge battery on my 1998 GS 400. Can it be charged while on the car or must battery be removed before charging. What percautions are necessary for charging. Will my electronics be messed up by charging? Help, need instructions before using my battery charger.

Here are some good instructions on how to use a battery charger: http://www.battery-chargers.com/charging_instructions.htm

An important item not mentioned in that link. If your batt is severely discharged or cold, never start a charge at the maximum rate of the charger. Always start at the lowest rate. Observe that the batt is accepting the charge properly before leaving it for the duration of the recharge cycle. You can increase the rate later. I would also strongly rec using a charger with an auto cutoff.

Here are some good instructions on how to use a battery charger: http://www.battery-chargers.com/charging_instructions.htm

An important item not mentioned in that link. If your batt is severely discharged or cold, never start a charge at the maximum rate of the charger. Always start at the lowest rate. Observe that the batt is accepting the charge properly before leaving it for the duration of the recharge cycle. You can increase the rate later. I would also strongly rec using a charger with an auto cutoff.

+1 on using a charger with an auto cutoff...

I tried taking battery out of car but could not figure how to remove the plastic battery cover as it was connected to the positive and negative cables. Tough on the fingers too at 15 degrees F in Buffalo.

I tried taking battery out of car but could not figure how to remove the plastic battery cover as it was connected to the positive and negative cables. Tough on the fingers too at 15 degrees F in Buffalo.

Hey, I thought it got cold in Buffalo. It's exactly 15° F. in Kansas City right now with a wind chill of 4° and light snow.

The plastic connectors I've seen that hold the battery cables to the battery covers in Lexus cars usually (always?) snap apart to release the cable -- at least they do on my 00 LS -- I just replaced a battery a few weeks ago. It sounds like your GS has a full battery cover like on the earlier LS.

Also, do not put a charger on a battery containing fluid that might be frozen. Batteries that are fully discharged in cold temperatures are much more likely to be frozen and may not be salvageable.

If you can, bring the battery into a garage and let it warm up gradually before you try to charge it. A decent charger will tell you quickly whether the battery will take a charge or is ruined -- even my 30+ year old cheap Western Auto charger does that. If your current battery is very old, you might as well just go ahead and buy a new one.

Batteries can be very dangerous. I remember back a few decades to when I was a company clerk in the Army. Battery explosions in the motor pool were a common cause of injuries in my unit. It got so bad with lost time injuries that improper handling of vehicle batteries was made a punishable offense and I was kept busy during winter typing up the "Article 15" paperwork used in the reprimand process.