Cambelt Failure And Mileage? Have You Had One?

Boxbrownie

For some reason here in thre UK it appears the main dealers are recommending a cambelt change at 60K miles rather then the specified 100K as per the service schedule....

I am trying to get a feel for just how many vehicles in service have actually had cambelt failure (I have read of none so far) and as to the reasoning of the change by the main dealers (apart from pure monetary reasons!).

So has anyone had an incident of valves kissing thier long lost cousins the piston family? :D

Best regards David

when you say cam belt, are you referring to the timing belt? i replaced my factory original timing belt at 104k, and the one that came out didn't look like it was in any way bad; no cracks, no signs of dry rot, no teeth missing.. so.. you make the call. it's a big bill to pay for a regular maintenance issue that may not need to be done, but its a far, far bigger bill if something goes wrong..

One component that Toyota does indeed significantly overengineer is the timing belt in the RX series. Our previous 2000 RX300 AWD went more than 150,000 miles before the fellow I sold it to at 130,000 miles finally changed it, and it was still in fine shape just as expected. I'll change the timing belt on my wife's current 2004 RX330 AWD at 150,000 miles. Changing them at 90,000 miles is a waste of money and nearly everyone on this forum who has done so has echoed that opinion after seeing how good a shape they are still in at 90,000 miles. If anyone on this forum has ever reported a timing belt breaking on an RX, at ANY mileage milestone, I've never seen that post. Change it at 90,000 or even 120,000 if you wish, but in my opinion you're wasting your money....

Yes....the belt that drives the camshafts............ :D Tomarto's - Tomayto's eh? :lol:

My research indicates zero failures as far as I can see......I know for a fact the belts at the Motor Manufacturer where I work are tested to twice the scheduled replacement interval.

Thanks for the replies.

Best regards David